Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mthomas08

Members
  • Posts

    3,240
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mthomas08

  1. Sorry to bring this one to the top, I am guessing if no driver exists this wont install at all? Have made the GP settings change with the print script and I am getting "Install Driver" option appear and of course click install driver and access denied. Is this the norm?
  2. Thats nice, was it quick and easy to set that up? if so how if not - can you share?
  3. Typical microsoft that is, one page says one thing and another page says another. Anyway: the replication problem is 100% fixed and still no issues on that front. The Schannel error is still appearing though, I know we have an internal certificate issue (because it has the external link in its list and not internal). I will try and get that resolved but I dont think this will give the Schannel issue.
  4. We attended and was impressed (didnt expect anything less really ). Minus the moral speech talker and a good idea I wasn't tweating at the time! Great that Frog removed him though they did notice all the tweats! Workshops gave us a few ideas but because we already have Frog and a good driving force most of it we already had on our To Do/done list. One thing I did add was the fact that a School has an online parents evening area which actually seemed brilliant and does it all. It look very easy to book times with your childs teachers and even edit them if needed to. I found the conference about Frog4 the main benefit of the day, it really does look impressive beyond what any other VLE has in development. We are fully releasing Frog before Xmas, we are going to do full days training on frog at the start of september and bam away we go. We are developing Dept sites at the moment and these are almost done with content as well. We do keep forgeting that we have had a VLE for about 4-6 years compared to other Schools - our current VLE based on Moodle which we are replacing although its great on the data side and does exactly what we need to do. It lacks in everything else. Me and a colleague also went to a Kent Schools meeting Re: Frog was also useful. Hopefully the community site gets their update and more activity!
  5. Thanks for taking time to respond guys The DC on exchange was something it did and told me to do. I did read about the GC shouldnt really be on exchange though so dont know if your mixing them up? 2nd: The replication issue is now fixed and this has solved two of our issues so great thank you on that. Profiles seem to be logging on MUCH better and faster. We have a 3rd issue which fingers crossed will resolve this but only time will tell. As for the Schannel errors thats not going to cause any other problems is it? the reset? I just did a bit of googling on the netdom reset and this does have something to do with the replication between DCs so perhaps the error will go away. I will give the servers a reboot and see how things go. I will drop back if the errors are still occurring if the netdom reset solves the issue or not. Will return, few days! thanks again.
  6. repadmin /showreps Showing all successful Only errors Occuring are to do with our Certificate because our external domain has one but internally we dont so it asks users to click continue when the first load outlook. Also the alert 20/10 which I think has to do with the certificate. Other then that nope no other issues, Active Directory/Exchange are working perfectly fine. It really does seem to be just the Sysvol folder and all its contents not syncronizing - can be accessed from each other though using start-run. Cheers
  7. Hi all Have googled around but couldnt find anything to fix our issue. Have 3 DCs all running Windows 2008 R2 Server, 2 of the DCs including the Master are working fine but number 3 being our exchange server is failing. Any chances to the Sysvol folders on the 2 working DCs are not replicating over. This issue DC has got exchange 2010 (been installed for a year now) issues must of occurred in the last 6 months which must have something do to with our server upgrades? Have tried the following: Reboots Manual replication Folder Permissions all match Servers can access each other name/ip no problem DCDiag looks fine minus an alert 20 (event log is Schannel alert 20 and 10 - quite a few of them). IP Config /all looks all right Repl all looks as well - all succeeded I have manually gone in and change the GPO settings on this DC temporarily which has resolved our basic issues. Looking at DNS I can't see no obvious issues, I have noticed that email is appearing in OurDomain-DomainDNSZones/TCP (and Sites TCP) and ForestDNSZOnes TCP (and Sites TCP) even though its not a DNS? Also: An old server which was demoted and now only a member server (till we can transfer the public drive data then its out) is appearing in the msdcs.OurDomain - Domains/TCP and DC/TCP folders. Even though its not a DC just a member server (this is windows 2003 server box which will be scrapped). Not sure what else to add but as you can guess I have tried a few bits and bobs. Any help will be great thank you.
  8. At the moment we report on the following(all accessible online): BAR Point system (negative/positive), Keystage reports, Attendance and homework. I am not fully aware of what we do because its all through a VLE which we are replacing. Our new Frog will do all the above minus BAR which has been custom built for about 3-5 years.
  9. We use Sharepoint here: All tied in to AD and Exchange. Permission so Staff can add jobs. Can easily assign to any of us 3 IT Support Staff. Email alerts to any new jobs, Summary setup every friday as well. Easy to use (if our non IT literate staff can use it any one can). Easy to add extra fields/custom etc. Staff can add attachments. Able to set required fields E.g what Room they are in. Front screen setup to only show non completed jobs. All completed jobs can be arranged and checked/exported etc. The page is not visible on the tabs to students and if they manually type in the URL they will get access denied. All the options again can be customised. Works great for us, we are however waiting for Frog to improve their Form functions so we can transfer to Frog and scrap sharepoint.
  10. Checked, all looks good. I have tried forcing a replication with ntfrsutl forcerepl and its still not updating. *update* Right, in editing group policies I had changed the DC I was using and pointed it to the email server to manually check that servers GPOs. Looks like in the email server it still had the tick box - although the other two DCs were exactly fine. Temporarily I can go in and remove this tick box but it also means replication is not occuring. Also when I select another GPO it mentions to me about inconsistent permissions click ok to fix. So I will go through and check each sysvol permissions and compare with the working DCs. *Looks like the group policy creator owners did not have modify ticked but the other two DCs did. I have made this change and hopefully it will replicate.
  11. Thanks for the assist. I will now add how things went, turns out GPO had an issue on a single DC server where it is not replicating over to one of the servers. I checked the sysvol\policies and there are missing folders. Turns out it's not replicating properly. Doing some googling now but only error appearing is an SCHANNEL error (which is often). I have done quite a bit of DCDiag so far but not seeing any errors. So if anyone has any ideas? The server having the issue is an exchange server 2010 but no other issues so far other than the missing policy folders.
  12. Just seen that my self, brilliant!! @X-13 worked too hard today to care about my punctuation
  13. So if its all such "High standard" I still dont see why they are banning photos....
  14. Thats the problem, I always prefer to eat a McD meal then the school food which some times has been cooked first thing in the morning - i hate eating food which was cooked 4 hours ago. McD might be unhealthy but at least I feel like I have eaten something and cooked in the last 10 minutes.
  15. We will be sticking to what we have here at the moment, Windows 2008 R2 servers and Windows 7 machines. Although if the handheld devices are really that good with windows 8 we may buy a few to see if they really are that good. We will buy one to have sitting there for the iPad lovers who walk in and say they must have one. If it does everything we want then we can say here have this its better and will actually work with everything without the need to go the extra 10 miles for it and you wont need your laptop no more.
  16. I have to agree, I have mentioned at times it would be useful to access the help centre/internet which can be done on my iPhone. Having purchased two for SMT one was returned she said that it just sat there collecting dust when everything she is used to and uses is on the laptop. We have looked at Emerge but the cost doesn't out way the fact its a convenience. We have one to play/test and the only thing we do on it is just to play around with to fix other peoples problems with their own (plus give advice). As the new head said its a lot of money to get these up and running properly and time for training. We just provide a laptop which has access to everything and plenty of PCs. It seems from my view that people just use them for anything they can to justify it. Just like our 2nd SMT who comes along with it in the meetings (while others have their laptops) which only take about 4 seconds extra to unlock.
  17. Aye. Having used a sat nav over a printed out google or an atlas I find a sat nav far better then the two. Having to pull over often is not a good idea when some times you have to pull over in a safe spot. sat navs though like many gadgets in the car could cause an accident but lets face it, does take common sense to know when a good time to turn the volume up is e.g not when its chucking it down, fog or heavy traffic. Then again sitting there fiddling or watching your sat nav over the road is just as bad as sitting there watching your speed. Its also why I like my cruise control stick it at a set speed aka 30 and leave it. Its also a well known fact that a good portion of people who complain about others driving, or fiddling etc etc have probably done the exact same thing. Could be from swapping CD's, checking the radio, shouting at the kids in the car or pulling your wallet out to make sure you got £££ for petrol. I certainly am not afraid to say I am guilty of the above. Still I would always prefer my sat nav which may not be perfect it certainly is helpful.
  18. Why not As for the price, I really dont know either. We purchase laptops every year and never paid more than 400 a laptop - not once!
  19. Sorry yes, world IN minecraft game is already there meaning you can just enjoy your self while you play it or build it.
  20. Make your own minecraft world! This is something me and a mate have been working on for a couple of months now, already got a 4 major cities, couple of outposts, dungeon/assault areas etc. What we are hoping for at the end is PGP style/decent exp/level up system. Got a good amount of mods installed, only need a few more to perfect it.
  21. Well bit of an update on this, its slowly getting across but for some reason there are still users connecting with the Proxy settings....
  22. I would welcome it If there are ways I can improve our system etc and not have to pay for the inspection - its actually a good idea! We have made some huge improvements over the years with security/policies - even staff have to sign for the laptop on a double sided form to confirm a bunch of things. Although I guess an IT system inspection will take longer? We have so much here and so much would need checking..
  23. @mrbios went through every policy on the server, reset the settings but still no luck. I will continue to see if there is some kind of setting some where outside of group policy causing this? @Michael Just trying your one now worked like a treat 1st time. Brilliant Thank You, I completely forgot about the registry settings.
×
×
  • Create New...