Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. One thing (not sure if a reboot would have helped) that might cause it is AV defs. With Symantec ours always downloaded to the C: and never cleaned themselves up - every couple of months we had to delete the update files taking up about 4GB
  2. Gary is transexual?
  3. I'll be weed killing the allotment tomorrow. If the Good Lord can hold off on the rapture for one day though, I'd be happy as I'd love to watch Super Sunday this weekend - it's the best part of the season (especially with the ongoing relegation battles!). Then, if He sees fit to let us carry on walking this earth I will be meeting the the parish priest to discuss our marriage arrangements (mine & the missuses, not mine and his hehe)
  4. Does this help you? http://www.edugeek.net/forums/scripts/26813-proxy-proxy-off-app-2.html
  5. Home drives are configured in Active Directory (edit the properties of a user, click Profile, and it's at the bottom) - that's how the N: drive is mapped.
  6. @bossman has said my thoughts exactly. The difference is another five machines elsewhere (at least) and I doubt you'll need QC by the time those machines are all knackered anyway.
  7. I wonder if she lives near Middlesbrough (or smogland as we call it up here)
  8. Sorry, missed a word off. Sometime's if I touch it for long enough I end up dead toasty
  9. I'm allergic to electricity too. When I touch it I get a shock, and sometime's if I touch it for long enough I end up dead.
  10. Or just install a clapper on a corner lamp for about a fiver. Clap on, change volume, clap off. EDIT: Maybe not a fiver, but still not expensive http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=active&client=firefox-a&hs=Zhf&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=np&q=clapper&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13601606191737059431&sa=X&ei=2OHUTailCIT4sgbhtsSODA&ved=0CEAQ8wIwAg#
  11. Unbelievable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdRj-JOgmxw
  12. Don't know if people are still looking for ideas but one our new network we're using Group Policy Preferences. I've created a GPO called SHORTCUTS All Users and another called SHORTCUTS Staff, then in the preferences part of the GPO I add all the shortcuts. For stuff like SIMS.net it obviously goes in the staff GPO. On logon, the shortcuts are created if the link is valid (i.e. the software is installed). If the software is installed and then removed, so is the shortcut. It works really well from my testing.
  13. Me too - I'd set it up, especially if the laptops were holding confidential data.
  14. If you use WSS it does surveys with branching. We use it for options when the time comes for yr9 but would also work for your needs. Really easy to setup too.
  15. Not sure if people were aware, but I'm just in the process of creating packages for our new network and realised that ActivStudio is no longer available, and until September 2011 all ActivStudio users get a free upgrade to ActivInspire: English : ActivInspire : Software : Promethean Planet
  16. Bit off topic isn't it?
  17. Ah no, we just decomissioned 32 old RM laptops yesterday. They were slow, and were taking far too much management time so we binned them. Sorry.
  18. Got to echo webman's pointer to stock.xchng - the leading free stock photography site, been using it for a year or two and it's fantastic.
  19. Thought so - I'm Office 2010 on my machine, but I still use Visio 2003 and it works fine. Think the problem only exists when you install for instance Word 2010 alongside Word 2003.
  20. Can't you just install Access from Office 2003?
  21. Yesterday it was time to plug in the new Sky router. So I plug it in, and it boots up, and I connect to it wirelessly and away we go - a perfect transition from the old provider. After about 5 minutes though I lost connectivity. It was late so I just went to bed. Turned the laptop on this morning, and tried to connect up via wireless but it just kept failing to connect, and Windows couldn't offer any meaningful help. So I decide to try to connect wired - but after a few minutes of trying it has one of the limited connectivity symbols in the tray. I understand that the broadband itself might be up and down until the line settles, but this shouldn't affect my being able to connect to the router and access the admin page etc should it? I also tried multiple reboots of the router, and holding the blue reset switch in for 20 seconds (where apparently the lights are meant to reset but this never happened). Am I missing the obvious here, or have Sky sent me a dodgy bit of kit?
  22. Got something off our DT technician, might be a bit small but should warm and slide over with a bit of luck.
  23. Wow, so I've just been given my first allotment, and it's a double allotment. My grandad had quite a few lofts for the birds. I think I'm going to take down the older ones and try and reuse the wood on raised beds and compost areas etc, but I'll be keeping the new one up and getting a bit livestock. Then I think I'll start on the raised beds in the polytunnel so I can start planting, and then start to work on each section bit by bit. Got a long hard slog ahead of me. Think the first port of call is getting a little bit of thin hose so I can fix the fuel line on my strimmer.
  24. I know you do mate and cheers
×
×
  • Create New...