-
Posts
3,138 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Rob_D
-
If you're anywhere near the South coast, MJ Visual did a great job with our halls.
-
We got a couple of these plug-in vodafone "boosters" with a contract renewal about 12 years ago. I'm not sure they ever did anything.
-
I don't see how this isn't just inkjet?
-
What sort of size where you looking at?
-
One of the teachers petitioned for a smartboard in the hall in my last school, but I don't think they ever used the smart features. Here we still use projectors in the halls, but we're projecting at 300"+ screen size. To my mind, the halls are the place where you want to go a big as possible with your display screen. If staff do want to interact with it more, then an air-mouse or one of those mini keybaord/trackpad units might be a good option. Something like this might be a better option than a commercial grade TV if the room has lots of use: https://www.iiyama-monitors.co.uk/products/large-format/digital-signage/le9864uhs-b1ag
-
VerryPC have some pretty good small footprint offerings.
-
-
My reading of the article was that the author was way more upset by the 4gb install size than the AI-ness of it all. But I get there are people who want to avoid or at least vet anything they know has AI involved. Although I'd be surprised if many of them still use chrome.
-
A: One could argue that you chose to install chrome in the first place, and historically software hasn't needed consent for each component part. B: Luckily there is, it's even mentioned in the article. C: If you've got multiple user devices then you should probably be using the enterprise install (the article says it's installed in the chrome install directory not the user-data).
-
oh, the horror. I must go lie down at the thought of a whole 4gb install.
-
Cashless Payment System - Any Recommendations/Horror Stories?
Rob_D replied to JRA's topic in MIS Systems
For paying for school things, we use parentpay. -
Unrelated known issue apparently. Our attendance "team" raised a case and got this response.
-
Not had Cannon printers before, but we've had the RFIdeas WaveID readers work with Ricoh, Sharp and Kyocera in the past.
-
Personally I'd push for ID cards, as PINs can be more easily forgotten or found out by students, so you'll be forever needing to change them. And if you've already got cards then there's a lower barrier to entry for using them for other things. Generally, we didn't get much/any pushback from staff when we moved to print release, but we did it while rolling out central copiers across the school so for a lot of staff it was more convenient. And staff already had mifare IDs for door access.
-
Now saying to use the teacher app for registers.
-
Just go this That sounds like it could take a while. 😒
-
Same for us. I come here rather than the bromcom status pages for up-to-date reports.
-
We use Civica/Parago here. Although there have been suggestions that we go over to just using excel.
-
If you wanted to be nice about it, then come up with an alternative that doesn't involve downloading music/videos to the co's network. Perhaps youtube could be allowed on a specific device/devices to allow for the playing of training videos (and if it's used for the occasional bit of walk-on music, then no harm done).
-
Lamp vs Laser Projectors any advice
Rob_D replied to chrisbagnall's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
The laser projector we've got the school hall (a Barco PGWX-62L), is advertised with 20K hours lifespan and is still going strong without any noticeable drop in image quality/brightness after 10 years regular use (by my estimation around 12-14k hours). -
I'd never want to self-host the school website again. It's way too much stress, and the hassle of trying to arrange even brief downtime was enough to drive me batty. That nonsense can stay in the cloud where it's someone else's problem.
-
If you don't need more than 20m or so then a USBC optical cable might be cheaper.
-
Ahh found it, for some reason the inbound connector had been left on. 🙄
-
A USBC over fiber extender/cable would do the job, but that's going to be pricey. https://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-c4/usb-extension-c222/100m-fibre-usb-3-2-gen-2-usb-c-extender-p13383/s13543?cid=GBP&glCurrency=GBP&glCountry=GB
-
I've looked in the obvious places in the Exchange Admin center (as in, I looked under the Hybrid exchange settings) and couldn't find anything. But thinking about it, we did have Exponential-E internet and were running hybrid exchange about 10-15 years ago, so maybe. Time to go through the whole admin console looking for something I missed. Although I don't get why this one particular domain would be a problem.
