Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Rob_D

Members
  • Posts

    3,138
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Rob_D

  1. TBF there are probably a lot of people who would pay for that setup. But I very much doubt they'll be changing anything on yt just because the current UK govt dropped some legislation (that odds are the next govt will remove/change).
  2. I'd have thought most people would be signed into a google account already (especially in schools where google workspace seems to be becoming pretty prevelant), but I wonder what percentage of youtube traffic is from non-signed-in users?
  3. We just manually create the apple IDs for the 20 or so user who are issued with ipads/iphones.
  4. There are other reasons for school to pull back their SM promo content, but then how do schools promote themselves?
  5. I've been on-again off-again for the last year or so trying to make a better Zabbix console for monitoring ink and paper levels in our sharp copiers than just throwing up a Top Items widget. Anyone managed to do this? The main issue I keep coming up against is that the Sharp printer template we use uses a discovery item to create the paper tray items, so all the paper tray items get the same name. This means that the top hosts doesn't differentiate between the trays and just show the data for the "first one" in each column. Only options I see are making a dial (or similar) for each ink/paper level on each printer (7 dials * 28 printers - way more effort than it's worth), or trying to rewrite the printer template (probably beyond my skillset, and would end up being bespoke to this model/tray config so more work going forward to keep it up to date).
  6. If I were you, I'd stick with your safeguarding system on the devices. I don't think it's over the top to run safeguarding monitoring software on school-owned home-use devices. Again, it's a school device so we have a duty of care to make sure the student using it is safe and a wider duty of care for the students whether they're in school at that moment or not. We use Securus, but it sounds like it's pretty much the same level of monitoring/logging as studentkeeper. For us, any captures or reports are treated the same for off and on-site devices, it's the same for staff who chose to come in over the weekend, just because they're aren't kids around doesn't change the expectations of staff using school equipment. All devices (both in school and at home) have a click through AUP on the login screen stating that all activity on the device is monitored and may be recorded.
  7. Out of interest, what things have you done to reduce that "first logon time"?
  8. Interesting idea. I get a bad gateway error on your link.
  9. Their local storage is moved off our main file server to a nas (all 6mb of it), and the local accounts go in a dated OU to make the retention/deletion nice and easy.
  10. For us: Student accounts are locked on their leaving date (if mid year). At the end of the academic year, the leaving cohort + all other leaver accounts are moved to archive and switched to A1 licenses. The following year all archived accounts are deleted. We use Barracuda backup which gives us the students free as long all our staff are licensed. (unless this has changed since our last renewal)
  11. We use Veeam backing up to an on-site server and Wasabi cloud storage. It comes to about £3k per year for 25tb cloud storage and the veeam enterprise licenses.
  12. Which is fine unless you're using phone pouches or lockers.
  13. In a lot of departments we just use cameras. Its easy enough to have them as an exception to the USB storage block.
  14. Each department/CA has their own Team/SharePoint site with preset folders for teaching resources (broken up by year group and shared with students) and staff only resources, within those folders we let them do what they want. Teachers in the department/CA have full access, other staff have read only access. For more centralised stuff, we try to do permissions at the library level rather than having folder permissions.
  15. We use SRP to bock the edge and chrome rather than blocking 365.
  16. As someone who generally doesn't like football that much, I was surprised to find that I'm really enjoying Dear England.
  17. We had a similar problem back in Windows 10 (it's windows trying to be helpful and upping the DPI scaling because it detects a high resolution screen). We fixed it with a registry edit. Create a hex dword key called LogPixels with a value of 96 in "\HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop". But this was 10 odd years back and I think switching between extend and duplicate might have broken it again so YMMV.
  18. What sort of alternatives are you going with?
  19. How much capacity do you Synology users have on your NAS? We're using about 25tb in M365 right now, and I'm guessing for a descent retention I'd need to *3 that, which is sounding like quite a lot of storage.
  20. We use Barracuda C2C backup for our whole 365 tenant.
  21. Historically, the quoted reason keeps being that PC sales don't make it worth it. I wonder if it's more to do with MS saying that the next xbox will play steam games. Either way, sad that I'll probably have to get a PS6 if I want to play Horizon 3 and Spiderman 3.
  22. The way I see it, if the 2FS is locked local to the device, then it makes no odds which brand of authenticator we use. We also have office landlines as a backup 2FA.
  23. Gave Amazon's Off Campus a go, and enjoyed it way more than I was expecting. Love the soundtrack. Also, From season 4 just started up on Sky. So far, looks to be interesting. (Apparently, they're finishing it with season 5, so hopefully some big revelations this season.)
  24. Has anyone looked into using one of these anti-ai things like Glaze? https://glaze.cs.uchicago.edu/what-is-glaze.html
  25. This was also being discussed here:
×
×
  • Create New...