-
Posts
1,402 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ADMaster
-
last I checked sql 2016 is not supported by DPM 2016 you can only go to 2014. This was back around November or December so be sure to check the latest requirements.
-
I'm running my docker xibo on Hyper-v 2016 host and ubuntu 16.04 lts VM.
-
It is quite possible the router is allowing the devices to ping each other. If you don't have access to the router contact schools broadband. If you do have access run show ip route or the equivalent on your system.
-
Can you find what devices are connected to a port on switch?
ADMaster replied to tj2419's topic in Wired Networks
I use switchmap, it's not real time but very handy. I think I have a cron job set to scan every hour or so. -
It sounds like inter vlan routing is turned on. Here is a document from cisco, what are your switches? Configure InterVLAN Routing on Layer 3 Switches - Cisco
-
I just updated to the new version today, not a fan of the new UI either. I'll be changing the colors and possibly adding custom css.
-
The use of these drives is video storage for the IP camera system if that helps make a determination on their suitability. The Hitachi drives are what came in the system by the contractor. The system is about 7 years old now. It was originally on server 2003 and I took it to 2012 R2 in 2014. I have had 2 disks fail in those 7 years and they were replaced with the WDC drives you see in the screen shot. I did my best to replace with drives that were the same spec as not to cause issues. One is a WD Black a high performance desktop drive, didn't know much about raid back then. The second replacement is WD RE4 the enterprise drive designed for raid. This is what I have on the shelf for the next failure too. Yes there are a total of 12 2TB drives just off the screen. I have no idea what raid levels are supported I'm not having much luck finding documentation on the device. The firmware on the device is dated April 2010 Some more background on the behavior of the issue... We could retrieve recordings back to a certain point, but no new recordings were being made. Since yesterday afternoon it has recorded video and I can view it. School being out for the summer I could delete and recreate the volume if need be but will save that for a last resort. It appears to be fully functional again as of yesterday afternoon, but it would be nice to confirm with this consistency check. Thank you
-
Stop Out of Office replies to helpdesk mailbox - Exchange 2016
ADMaster replied to CAWJames's topic in Enterprise Software
Does OSTicket have any sort of ignore rules? I use a different helpdesk. I have ignore senders, and ignore regex for subject, body, content and attachments. If you have something similar crate an ignore on the subject. Only issue I see there is if they needed help with an out of office message. -
I use webhelpdesk, very flexible with custom fields and workflows. It handles asset and part inventory too, can even sync computer info from sccm. Any questions feel free to ask. I've been using it for 6 years or so, before solar winds bought it.
-
I looked at the volume today and data is being written and retrieved as expected, but how do I run a check via the raid software? I did have a disk fail back in April so a rebuild was done then. I have an option on the menu to check the volume, however it says no volume set for consistency check. The volume set is reporting as normal. I've attached a few screenshots. Thank you,
-
I found this post useful ChkDsk Process on NTFS Volumes - Windows 7 Tutorial It seams I should have used /f instead of /r. I closed the cmd window and was able to write files again. I'll give it a day to be sure. Stages 2 and 3 did fix errors stage 1 was already scrolled out of view.
-
Does your helpdesk / ticket system do this? I have webhelpdesk and it has a feature called processes. I don't use it, but I could have it kick off a ticket for a new user and have that in turn email HR or create a ticket for a laptop setup etc. For this task I just share a spreadsheet with HR, with an outgoing and incoming section. name,position,SN,asset tag, account created/deleted,laptop issued/ returned, keycard, notes I have powershell scripts on my end such as new-staff so I have a consistent creation process. I have most of my processes documented in Google Drive. Not exactly what your looking for but may help your processes.
-
dumb question but... do you have the domain pre populated, or are you entering in your full email address? I can't tel you how many times I've seen users try to log into gmail and not our domain. I don't have azure AD so can't speak for that side of it.
-
No SSDs its a raid 0+1 with 12 200GB drives 7200 RPM The current stat is Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ... Progress: 19403 of 131056 done; Stage: 14%; Total: 13%; ETA: 137:21:12 ...
-
Hello, I have a 10TB volume that is reporting corruption. I could read existing files but could not create new ones. Started chkdsk /R /X yesterday afternoon 14:30-15:00 or so. It quickly ran through the first 3 stages and is currently only 13% of stage 4. The ETA seams to be going up instead of down. When I got in this morning it was 11% with 130:??:?? ETA. I'm guessing that is 130 hours. Now it is 132:53:35 For time reference is nearing 10:00 now so its been running almost 19 hours. This volume is an external jetstor raid 10 array. The raid is reporting as normal. Any ideas on how long this will really take? Should I cancel it and see if it allows me to create files? Another tool / procedure I should have used? Thanks,
-
Connect workgroup computers to a domain printer
ADMaster replied to ReverentCreature's topic in How do you do....it?
I don't want to derail the thread too much, that was just my background for needing to connect printers in this way. However I did just update to 17 so may have to look into that for next school year. -
Connect workgroup computers to a domain printer
ADMaster replied to ReverentCreature's topic in How do you do....it?
I have a group of computers in this situation too. I don't want to put them on direct IP because that would bypass papercut. I mapped a drive letter to a share on the print server, ticked the boxes to reconnect, remember password and use alternate credentials. In testing I found a reboot off network would cause the printer to fail, a double click of the mapped drive reconnected everything. In practice I have only had to walk a few users through clicking on the network drive to get printing working. I explained to the users from the start, if printing doesn't work make sure you can open this drive. This has worked reasonably well in my opinion, although some users complain because they don't need to do this at other sites. I think that complaint is directed more at papercut then the drive though. -
In this case yes, but IIRC you cannot add every field to those columns. (not in front of my PC to check) Also if you want to pull an export from multiple OUs.
-
Yep I have numbers put in the PO Box for all staff.
-
+1 for bulk AD, should be easy enough with powershell too.
-
I had Cisco about 8 years ago it was OK and I thought it was doing a good job. The interface could have been better. This was before all the chromebooks and byod we have now, only staff on the wifi. Then a few years later a company came in selling all sorts of stuff, new computers new wireless etc. Management went for all the sales pitches and we got Ruckus and a shed load of Chromebooks. Ruckus was much better then Cisco in terms of the interface but can't compare fairly on performance because we went from .g to .N APs and added 20 or so APs as well. Ruckus has been an almost set and forget, I've added a couple APs to cover a room with thick walls and setup a 5ghz only SSID for chromebooks and that's about it. I would stay away from cloud controllers where possible. I have read plenty of stories where Meraki updated the firmware and it caused connectivity issues, the update was also done in the middle of state testing. Also if I decide I can't afford support and maintenance one year my ruckus will keep working, not so with Meraki or any other cloud controller.
-
I spoke to soon on this. Creating a rule for everyone works fine. However when I attempt to select a group it crashes. The quick fix for me was to RDP into the DC still running 2012 r2 and update the policy. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.
-
I read a while back that you should separate policies by type i.e. admin templates vs gpp preferences. This doesn't always work out in practice. Here are a few of mine Applocker admin templates all gpp computers gpp users staff desktop settings student desktop settings folder redirection several specific lockdown user settings for testing / training accounts. a few specific gpos for servers For the active directory side setup a good OU structure. Staff > building / function Students > Building > year Student computers > building > room staff computers > building servers > special functions RDS / Hyper-v This will allow you to apply GPOs to the right group of users or computers and aid in cleanup. I have an OU staff > outgoing > year everyone leaving this year gets moved her so I can disable accounts 1st September. I can do the same with the leaving students because they are in OUs by year. Get a good naming convention for your computers so you know where they are and put them in the correct OU. I use a 2 letter building code so High School =HS then room number then PC number HS-rm100-01 HS-rm100-02 etc etc. There are dsquery, powershell and other tools that will let you create a report of computers and sort by last log on. This will help you clean up the computer accounts.
-
There are tools out there that will allow your users to register security questions to reset the password. I can't speak for any of them. The few free ones I found in the past had a user limit and / or needed an external email / phone. I think it would be a nightmare asking students to register an email / phone to get self service password reset. Also if it is intranet only why not get something like Password control, or an custom MMC and delegate reset responsibility to managers / HOD etc.
- 11 replies
-
- change password
- reset password
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
