-
Posts
1,402 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ADMaster
-
Set specific Windows 10 Accent Colour via GPO / REG
ADMaster replied to Scorpio's topic in Windows 10
As I stated earlier, you need to modify the default users ntuser.dat file. This should be the minimum you need to do in a TS. $OSDISK=$env:OSDISK REG LOAD HKLM\DEFAULT $OSDISK\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT Copy-Item $PSScriptRoot\school.theme "$OSDISK\Windows\Resources\Themes" -Force REG ADD "HKLM\DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes" /v InstallTheme /d "%SystemRoot%\resources\Themes\school.theme" /t REG_SZ /f [gc]::Collect() REG UNLOAD HKLM\DEFAULT -
Are you behind a Cisco ASA at all. There was a couple bugs that caused white loading / timeout screens for some applications on chromebooks. https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCui80835 https://quickview.cloudapps.cisco.com/quickview/bug/CSCuq80704 Your issue sounds a bit different but worth a look.
-
Do you want audible feedback on every touch, or just something to ease reading text. Android has a built in feature called talkback and Apple has voice over. Both found in accessibility. If you are wanting to ease the reading of text / ebooks etc I like @Voice Aloud Reader. I don't think its in the store anymore but I have the Ivona Amy voice to go with it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyperionics.avar&hl=en The ads are starting to get more annoying but not enough to buy the ad free version yet.
-
Smoothwall Alternative - Suggestions please.
ADMaster replied to FN-GM's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I use Iboss, I know their good on most points... 1. I'm certain they have support for IPV6, but my core is still IPV4 so not bothered. 2. Chromebook extension pushed via admin console. 3. I have it connected to NPS 4. yes you can force login via webpage if they are not picked up my other means. 5. utility installed on each DC reports back log in info / group info. You can also alias groups. This allows me to map one filter group to multiple AD groups. 6. Better then what we had before in some areas, but they all have their pros and cons. 7. Always had good support. 8. I have no idea what the reports are like compared to smoothwall. I can filter the logs by IP / username etc. The one item I miss is I lost bandwidth reports in a recent update. I have an open case with them. -
You may get namespace errors when you copy in the new admx files. Here is how to fix them. https://www.petri.com/resolving-namespace-already-defined-group-policy-error-windows-10
-
Set specific Windows 10 Accent Colour via GPO / REG
ADMaster replied to Scorpio's topic in Windows 10
Here it is in full. There are a few items such as defender first run and set search that are not strictly branding, but need to modify the default user hive so I put them in here too. A few items to watch out for in this script are; 1. the osdisk variable, it behaves differently if your in a TS or not. I have a second similar script that is for upgrades, this is my OSD version. 2. copying of some of the images, you only get proper permission / access if done during OSD. 3. the forum doesn't always format things correctly. I've had to put in a few returns where it wrapped lines. Looks ok now but check for that if you get errors. #===Start Script=== $OSDISK=$env:OSDISK $logfile = "$OSDISK\brandingcmd.log" Start-Transcript -Path "$OSDISK\branding.log" -Verbose $Wallpaper = "school.jpg" "Load Default Hive" >> $logfile REG LOAD HKLM\DEFAULT $OSDISK\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT >> $logfile # copy the OEM bitmap If (-not(Test-Path $OSDISK\windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds)){New-item $OSDISK\windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds -type directory} copy-item $PSScriptRoot\user.png "$OSDISK\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures" copy-item $PSScriptRoot\user-192.png "$OSDISK\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures" copy-item $PSScriptRoot\user-48.png "$OSDISK\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures" copy-item $PSScriptRoot\user-40.png "$OSDISK\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures" copy-item $PSScriptRoot\user-32.png "$OSDISK\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures" copy-item $PSScriptRoot\guest.png "$OSDISK\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures" copy-item $PSScriptRoot\user.bmp "$OSDISK\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures" copy-item $PSScriptRoot\guest.bmp "$OSDISK\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures" Move-Item "$OSDISK\Windows\Web\Screen\img100.jpg" "$OSDISK\Windows\Web\Screen\img100-1.jpg" -Force copy-item $PSScriptRoot\$Wallpaper "$OSDISK\windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds\backgroundDefault.jpg" -Force copy-item $PSScriptRoot\$Wallpaper "$OSDISK\Windows\Web\Screen\img100.jpg" -Force copy-item $PSScriptRoot\$Wallpaper "$OSDISK\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\$wallpaper" -Force "Defender first run" >> $logfile REG ADD "HKLM\DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v UIFirstRun /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f >> $logfile "OEM Background" >> $logfile REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background" /v OEMBackground /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f >> $logfile Copy-Item $PSScriptRoot\school.theme "$OSDISK\Windows\Resources\Themes" -Force Copy-Item $PSScriptRoot\schooltheme.exe "$OSDISK\Windows\Resources\Themes" -Force "Set Theme " >> $logfile REG ADD "HKLM\DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes" /v InstallTheme /d "%SystemRoot%\resources\Themes\school.theme" /t REG_SZ /f >> $logfile "Set Search" >> $logfile reg add HKLM\default\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\search /v SearchboxTaskbarMode /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f >> $logfile [gc]::Collect() # necessary call to be able to unload registry hive "unload hive" >> $logfile REG UNLOAD HKLM\DEFAULT >> $logfile Stop-Transcript -
Set specific Windows 10 Accent Colour via GPO / REG
ADMaster replied to Scorpio's topic in Windows 10
I see where I went wrong, I grabbed just a snip from my branding script. I load the default user ntuser.dat into the registry add that key and unload it. I can post up my entire branding script tomorrow if you like. I found an accent color GPO today. at home now so this is a rough guess of the path. computer > admin temps > control panel > personalize. forced start menu background color and accent. I tried to set it but it didn't seam to work, but if I set it to 0's it forced the log on screen color to the default blue. Without the policy, or with custom colors set it remembered the last users accent color. Although the policy did say Windows 8.1/2012r2 only. -
Set specific Windows 10 Accent Colour via GPO / REG
ADMaster replied to Scorpio's topic in Windows 10
Looks about right, I think you have an extra space in version though. If the theme is applying then its the correct key. It may remember the last user's colors I usually don't see the log in screen once they are deployed. I'll have to make a point to go look at one. -
Set specific Windows 10 Accent Colour via GPO / REG
ADMaster replied to Scorpio's topic in Windows 10
From your last post I'm guessing you got this working now? I forgot, but yeah I got the theme file from the user profile. I apply the background in the theme and it is copied to the correct location via my branding script during OSD. I did not change the theme via the ini file. I made the changes in the gui then save as school name. Then that put a theme in my own profile called school.theme. Hope that clears it up. -
What he said.
-
We're a Google apps school so I don't see that happening anytime soon.
-
-
Set specific Windows 10 Accent Colour via GPO / REG
ADMaster replied to Scorpio's topic in Windows 10
For testing you won't need the script, just double click the theme file. The script opens the theme file as the logged in user and closes the window when done. If you are doing this during OSD skip the script and use the installtheme reg key. However it doesn't change the theme for existing users that's why I made the script. -
I use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and not had any problems.
-
The copy-item command in my script will create the directory. The first run file code is posted around here somewhere I think in another thread. but it will create the directory too. Here it is again. New-Item -ItemType file -Path "$OSDISK\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\First Run" -Force My script puts the files in the default users directory so any new user will get the settings. These are part of my OSD. If you are deploying to existing users you will need to loop through their profiles and put the files in the correct location.
-
I answer this in post #10 http://www.edugeek.net/forums/enterprise-software/178319-google-chrome-welcome-screen.html#post1572171 Copy the code I give into the preferences file and create a first run file. The last I tested this was 60 on 1703.
-
PDQ all the way. Update they are on v14 now. Pay for the license and get auto deployments of flash Chrome etc. Here is a related thread. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/enterprise-software/188236-what-do-you-keep-up-date-pdq-deploy.html EDIT: yes SCCM is great too but they work differently. SCCM is great for OSD and pulling software to the machine. PDQ is great at keeping things updated now / doing things on the fly. It pushes to the machines with instant feedback of success or failure. I use both its a great combo.
- 11 replies
-
- deployment
- target tracker
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Set specific Windows 10 Accent Colour via GPO / REG
ADMaster replied to Scorpio's topic in Windows 10
Ok here is the reg key I use REG ADD "HKLM\DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes" /v InstallTheme /d "%SystemRoot%\resources\Themes\school.theme" /t REG_SZ /f I copy my theme file into the system themes folder, this is done during OSD imaging process. I found myself needing to change the theme for a user after an upgrade from Windows 8 because the settings were different and it looked terrible. For an upgrade I copy the theme file into the themes folder, but I also copy over a compiled auto hotkey script and a shortcut to it in the users startup folder. Here is the script sleep 30000 Run, %systemroot%\Resources\Themes\school.theme ;WinWaitActive, Personalization WinWaitActive, Settings sleep 1000 ;WinClose, Personalization WinClose, Settings run, %comspec% /c "del /Q "%userprofile%\appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\schooltheme.lnk"" I use blue so I'm not 100% sure the accent is part of the theme put worth a try. I've not come across anything about themes needing to be signed. This has worked for me on 1511,1607 and now 1703. -
Look at the file server where app data is redirected and get opensmbsessions look for any with the users name to find out where it is open from. You can also just kill the session. If the only reason you redirect appdata is to open multiple tabs set this via group policy. We are also a GAFE school so I encourage staff to log into chrome so their settings are synced.
-
Set specific Windows 10 Accent Colour via GPO / REG
ADMaster replied to Scorpio's topic in Windows 10
Have you tried exporting the theme file. and then setting that theme? I set a theme file via the registry during OSD, but we use blue so may not have changed that bit. -
We had the HT do the survey for us and just asked desktop or laptop. The results came back near enough to 50/50 we continued with laptops. You may try asking use case questions like Do you use your laptop at home? Do you use your laptop out side of the classroom? Do you leave your laptop plugged in all the time? change your laptop to better phrasing school owned laptop assigned for your use etc. These types of questions may lead you to the answer if a Desktop or laptop is the right device. re-reading the OP did you mean desktop for teacher use instead of a laptop, or student devices?
-
FSRM is different from DFS. DFS will replicate but FSRM does quota so in short yes you need to configure quotas on both servers. I'm 99.9% sure anyway, I don't have FSRM on multiple servers. You should be able to automate it with powershell. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj900601%28v=wps.630%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 Its been since server 2008ish so things may have improved, but I gave up on DFS replication for user files. The user would save work on a pc log off change classes and log back on to another pc. In this time they may hit the other server and files have not replicated yet. queue missing work / conflicting changes. DFS is great for showing the user a consistent path though. Install it on your DCs and point it at your shares. When the share needs to move copy over the files to the new server and point DFS at the new one. The users don't notice a thing. YMMV
-
I just tested with one of our accounts and the profile picture shows up in my personal gmail account too. I have g+ turned off for all students and I have similar restrictions.
-
SQL woes (See also: "I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.")
ADMaster replied to Garacesh's topic in Windows Server 2016
This does nothing to help your current problem but... I've always found it best to run php/mysql on Linux. Ubuntu has a install option titled LAMP (Linux Apache MySql PHP)
