-
Posts
1,402 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ADMaster
-
Edugeek Minecraft: The 1.7.10 Pack Details
ADMaster replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
I setup a Steve's factory manager to compress the cobble instead of the auto packagers. It does the job much faster, more compact and shouldn't kill the server. -
Edugeek Minecraft: The 1.7.10 Pack Details
ADMaster replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
The last thing I built was an animal farmer. When I was online last it had not bred anything. Did it go crazy and spawn a ton of sheep? Can you run commands from the server console without being logged in as a player. Kill all the sheep in that dimension? -
I upgraded mine to docker 1.8 a couple weeks ago and searched here first. There were no posts yet. Anyway, I'm running mine on ubuntu so can't speak for the Windows side. I setup a new 16.04 VM and did not install apache or mysql. I just installed docker and ssh. Docker handled the LAMP stack. The docker docs were confusing at first I missed the command to install docker compose. This guide https://docs.docker.com/compose/install/ Will tell you how to install compose, but the links for Ubuntu / Windows etc is just for docker. You need to install docker first then go to git hub to install compose. https://github.com/docker/compose/releases Once you have compose the rest of the docs are straight forward. download and extract the tar I used /opt for my location copy and edit the config.env and put in the mysql password. create the listed paths under shared to copy in the import.sql backup and your media library. run the docker-compose up -d command. In my upgrade the secret key did not follow so my clients were not communicating at first. Log in and enter in the previous secret key. Now change the hostname / IP to match the old xibo VM and everything should work.
-
SCCM does cost, but its not expensive if you already have an agreement. Installing MDT will give you a lot more functionality then WDS alone and it is free.
-
Install MDT, with MDT you can connect to a database and register the host name before you image. It is also possible to get it to prompt you for a hostname before imaging. You can install all the needed software then do a sysprep and capture. Then you would deploy the captured image. I don't like doing this any more, I have all the software installed during OSD. It is easier to maintain updated versions that way. I have moved on and use SCCM now, but it is still possible to deploy apps and settings during OSD with MDT.
-
Just looking at the packs on curse is overwhelming, there used to be just a few major ones and now there are hundreds. I played a bit on both technic 1.7.10 pack and revolution 3 tonight. I think I'd like the technic pack.
-
Usually installing a mod is just dropping the jar in the mods folder with all its dependencies. For some mods its simple, others you may have conflicts with what version of forge is needed. The new launcher puts everything into profiles. If you didn't delete the non modded profile you can copy over the saves folder. The easiest way to get started with mods is with a pack. There are a few light packs out there that give you a map, nei/jei waila and a few others, but keep game play about the same.
-
Hi @AMLinington welcome to MC. Plain minecraft is tedious, get a mod pack from the curse launcher. Mods will give you a map which you can set way points to find your way home. Mods also allow for item auto crafting, storage and many more. I think teleporting is only available in creative or with mods. You can move animals with a lasso, but I think that's a mod too. I recommend joining the edu minecraft server. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/edugeek-minecraft/175901-edugeek-minecraft-hermitpack-server-details.html Not many play on it now, so we are looking to setup a new server. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/edugeek-minecraft/182213-new-minecraft-server.html Have a browse of the mod packs here. https://mods.curse.com/modpacks/minecraft Once you decide on a mod pack, or join the server I can point you to the specific mods that will meet your needs.
-
I think I would just do it, anyone already connected should stay connected, it just won't give out new addresses while your making the change. Take a backup of the dhcp settings. Figure out all the netsh commands to recreate the scope with all the correct options. Write it out in a batch file or paste it into cmd so you have very minimal downtime. Do an ipconfig release renew on a test workstation, if it works great, if not restore the backup and figure out what went wrong. I've changed dhcp scopes a few times over the years. Depending on the change and how quickly I want it to take effect, I decrease or increase the lease time. Then wait and make the change. I would also make the change at a time with minimal use such as after classes are done for the day, or before students arrive. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490941.aspx
-
There is a first run file that gets created after you run chrome for the first time. I just create this file in the default user profile to stop the welcome screen. New-Item -ItemType file -Path "$OSDISK\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\First Run" -Force
-
I wouldn't mind exploring a new pack, no suggestions yet I'll have to see whats out there.
-
I think it will be safe to delete the only thing I have in the DC OU is my DCs. I would do the following; take a backup, and /or have AD recycle bin enabled. query it for FSMO roles look for it in DNS and sites and services. try pinging it. If your sure its not holding any FSMO roles and you cannot ping it delete it. This looks useful too https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2016/02/17/step-by-step-removing-a-domain-controller-server-manually/
-
I use 888 dot com its blocked for both staff and students, short easy to type for a quick test and not explicit if it does open.
-
I'm not sure of the terminology between switch vendors because I'm a Cisco shop but... I have a seperate NIC for OS and VMs. The OS switch port has tagged with the normal servers vlan. The VMs switch port is configured as a trunk, so its not tagged. Every VM I create I must specify the VLAN in the network configuration. Its one extra step in setting up a VM but provides great flexibility.
-
I have a ruckus system as well. Staff / Students are secured with 802.1x Radius back to an NPS box. This gives them the correct filter level. Guests have an open ssid with just a ToS page that needs agreeing to. I've never really setup the whole guest pass thing. The guest network is also most restrictive and and bandwidth throttled. I want to keep it for legit guests, not students. Not to go to far off topic but how do you limit them to a certain number of devices?
-
Hi @Duke5A I just setup a manual dns entry named time and point it to the PDC, then I enter time.example.com in the NTP address box. Then just update this DNS entry when the PDC changes. But it sounds like that will only solve half the problem if not all of your devices can get DNS. I use DHCP reservations for copiers and printers. It keeps a 'static' address while removing the hassle of figuring out the control panel to change the address if it moves.
-
You have two options. 1. setup the proper exclusions in GCDS to ignore these accounts on as as needed individual basis. 2. setup GCDS to ignore all users within an OU, or name pattern / prefix. Then create all the manual users in this OU or with that prefix. I use option 1 as I only have a half dozen of these manual accounts.
-
Remote assistance will allow elevation with the right GPOS set, but someone still has to allow the initial connection and mouse control. For unattended I use SCCM remote control but that is overkill for just remote support. Just use a combination of the remote assistance and VNC. Use the VNC long enough to accept the remote connection then go back to RA.
-
G-Suite Pictorial Logins for Junior Pupils
ADMaster replied to dhicks's topic in Educational Software
@fiza I have had this setup since September, its very nice. However I don't think it will work for PCs, worth talking to clever about though. My identity provider in clever is Google so all users can sign into clever with their google credentials I then had to get a cert from clever for my domain to setup sso and sso was restricted to the netmask 1.1.1.1/32 Then I changed the settings in the admin console for these devices to use SSO. They have a guide of all the settings you need to change, the only one I did not follow was the change password url as I have passcore setup. So the user experience for young students on a chromebook is click sign in > badge and hold up the badge to the webcam. On a PC they can sign into clever with the badge but not google. Older students sign into the chromebook as normal and then they are signed into clever via google, same for a PC once they sign into GAFE. The only thought I have for making it work on PCs is to change the network masks, but then I'd think everyone behind your NAT would have to use a badge. @dhicks Clever is free to schools, they charge the vendors who integrate with them some of those vendors pass a cost to us. We signed up for a service that cost about $3K and I was told only $100 was for the auto rostering with clever, I didn't see the final quote myself. Before I signed up with them I called and asked how they make their money because nothing is truly free and they have running costs. I'm in the US so as someone else mentioned, I don't know if they are supporting UK schools yet. -
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
ADMaster replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
Does anyone still play? I logged on after the update and it didn't look like anyone had been online in a while. -
Google Photos - Automatically Backing Up/Sync with local device
ADMaster replied to L3OUGH's topic in Cloud Services
If I attempt to delete a photo from my device through the photos app it used to ask me if I want to delete it everywhere. I just tried to delete a photo and using the trash can at the bottom of the photo it just deletes and says moved to trash. If I use the menu I have the option to delete device copy. There is a option in settings called free up space that I use. It deletes device copies of everything that has been backed up. -
Yes PS will do everything you want and more. I've added features to mine over the years. Create users + home directories in correct OU by grad year. Disable withdrawn students rename students if their name has changed, and their home folder move them to a new OU / sub folder if grad year changes re enable account if they return send me an email summary of changes I used to have it disable / enable if they did not have their permission forms in, but since forms are now electronic that put us in a catch 22 I also used to have it update city, moodle required that but we don't use it anymore. Start with basic user creation and add features as you go.
-
Flash - Do you still install/allow it
ADMaster replied to Disease's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
@Duke5A can you elaborate on or point me to a resource about chrome not including flash anymore. I get the chrome enterprise msi from PDQ. I've been troubleshooting a site this week where videos will not play, if I disable flash it kicks back to html5. However I've got inconsistent results and the more info the better. Checking the flash version it seams to be the latest. -
I do not know of any way to strike it from the policy. You could have a look around sysvol, good luck. I would create a fresh GPO and only add the background settings.
-
I think he is saying don't change the GPO just change the file it is pointing at. \\server\share\image.jpg copy to image.jpg.old and paste in the new image OR if you don't care about keeping the old one just paste in and overwrite. Also just create a new GPO with just the background settings. the other policy will still apply the other settings. If it is just the background image I'd go the route of updating the file it is pointing at vs editing the GPO.
