-
Posts
2,502 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesb
-
Why would we want to win? The winner gets to host the next one, and those things aren't cheap.
-
The reason I chose that one was because it seems to make sense with your error. Its looking for a permission mask for the users trying to log in, and finding it blank. Have you tried backing up and recreating the site as suggested on that page?
-
I've managed to find this - "PermissionMask Check Failed" and Other Search Errors That Go Bump in the Dark - Eric Shupps - which refers to a similar error on the search crawler account. Seems like it might apply in your case as well.
-
I take it you've checked the permissions assigned to the Contributors role, even though I don't see how a powercut could change this. Are any errors being logged elsewhere, and do administrators still have access?
-
Sharepoint Document Center Personal and Shared Areas
jamesb replied to wesleyw's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
With the quota limits, have you removed all quota limits for the site collection where you've got MySites sitting as well as for MySites itself? -
The biggest thing I miss through no longer working in a private school is that I no longer get free meals. Good quality meals, large portions, fresh-cooked. Its almost enough to tempt me back into working in schools. On the other hand since having left my BMI has now dropped to ideal.
-
Is anything actually dumped into event log when this happens?
-
And if you love driving, a lot. Personally I wouldn't consider it even on that salary unless they're giving me a petrol charge card. I've been caught out like that before.
-
Moving to Googlemail from Exchange 2007
jamesb replied to cjohnsonuk's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
There are one or two concerns about gmail - Use Google Mail, violate European and Canadian privacy laws? Thank USAPATRIOT Act (The Googlization of Everything) I don't know how current these are, as I can't check googlemail's privacy policy from work.- 20 replies
-
I've heard of that problem, its a bug: Not Detecting Flash 10: World's Most Widespread Web Video Bug? - Stack Overflow Had never actually encountered it until now though.
-
Can I hijack it for the Nokia N85? Its a great phone, and the built-in FM transmitter is the ultimate killer app. Download podcast while at supermarket, listen to podcast over car radio without having to faff with any wires or anything complicated like that. Carry on listerning later. All sorts of really well thought-out features crammed into it.
-
If your staff have passwords which are that easy to guess or steal, people bringing in unauthorised laptops is the least of your worries. These users aren't members of your domain. Why are they able to access shares? Is there a particular reason that they can access these? If so, do they just need read access? Take away any and all priviliges that they do not absolutely need. As many have said, this'd be your best option. What access do these people actually need to your network? Do you use the local admin account regularly? If not I'd say disable it using the GPO setting at Computer Policy | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local policies | Security Options | Accounts | Administrator account status. Renaming it couldn't hurt either.
-
I can't remember the name of it, but there is a tool which allows you to schedule automatic running of reports at set times, on whatever basis you choose. Its mentioned in a few places on this site, but it allows you to run any report you have written. Edit: CommandReporter.exe
-
Schools should stay stationary, moving buildings are a bad thing.
-
Woohoo! Even if I do still have to deal with Tiscali's customer disservice, there's light at the end of the tunnel. Which reminds me. Must send that complaint to them yet again. Maybe they'll respond this time.
-
Check in IIS Manager to see whether the website's running. If not, try to run it. When it doesn't run, open up a command-line and run 'netstat -ano > ports.txt' to dump the list of services using ports to a text file. Open the text file, find out what's using the port which the website is trying to use, kill it and try launching the web site again.
-
Looks like they've finally got something right in negotiations. Should be a lot cheaper and easier to buy Microsoft licenses if this is what it looks like - UK gov squeezes 'best pricing' pledge from MS ? The Register
-
Too slow Matt, too slow. Admittedly only by seconds.
-
WScript.Arguments? Arguments Property (WScript Object) WshArguments Object Those two links might be useful to you.
-
Hosted SLG has no impact on your e-mail at all, and relies on a VPN link for data, so a proxy shouldn't matter (if its correctly configured). The only problem would be if you have no actual internet access at all.
-
If you go for the hosted solution then the only thing you need is SIMS .net. You shouldn't need any Sharepoint training for it. Self-hosted is another matter and requires quite a bit more technical know-how, particularly if you're going to use it to its full potential. I don't know whether there'd be any problems with RM Smartcache, but suspect that'd be down to your own configuration.
-
If you want parental access to SIMS then I'm assuming you're talking about SLG, in which case any VLE which sits on top of Sharepoint would allow you to integrate with SLG to whatever level you wanted. If you're looking for a free option, there's always things like the Sharepoint Learning Kit, and I'm fairly positive there's commercial solutions around as well.
-
You mean a Nokia N85?
-
You don't really need to create the AD groups, though I'll give you that it'll be a lot quicker to do that than to add all of the users to the appropriate Sharepoint groups. Yep, your method would work fine.
