Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sigma

Members
  • Posts

    1,681
  • Joined

Everything posted by sigma

  1. More than £200, but I've been very happy with Oneplus and they have taken me up several versions of Android on the same phone. https://www.oneplus.com/uk/oneplus-nord-ce-5g?sku=5011101713 on offer at £270 12Gb Ram 256Gb Storage.
  2. So much this. If pupils are doing a science lesson, are they allowed freeplay with the equipment/chemicals in a lesson? Are they expected to work until the end of an English or Maths lesson? So why are they ever allowed to "play" with the computers "in lesson time"? Would it happen if a lesson was being observed? Either pupils have lost so much education time during the pandemic that extra tutoring is needed to help recover lost learning, or they are allowed to be completely off-topic on the internet during teaching time. I'm not sure that the gameification of education helps unless GCSE's will be completed on Blooket or Kahoot in future. Sorry, I digressed. We use local server based Impero still, and it works pretty well.
  3. Reading from elsewhere: If you use the workaround specified by Microsoft, you will have until March of next year to solve the problem. If a vendor specifically instructs you to disable the impact of the patch, you should ask them what their plans are for next March, when the patch is mandatory. Your vendors have had a year to prepare for this, and it's high time they had a plan that doesn't involve not installing updates next March. Bottom line: If you are negatively affected after the June updates and must disable DCOM hardening, this is your clue that you need to contact your vendors as soon as possible and start screaming bloody murder. They've had a year to plan for this, and we have only a few months before we can no longer disable this setting.
  4. I think I look after a school that was probably set up by the same company (Wildings/Wildwater?) as I have the same config also for a very small rual Primary.... I'm looking to replace the server/do something. They are a maintained school and so I'm feeling it hinges on when County go to Cloud based SIMS as it would seem to be a good time to consider going serverless. I don't want to spend any money on a server migration if I don't have to, so I've been sitting it out as is. (Procrastinating).
  5. I manage them in different groups/policies. Pupil desktops via WOL at 1.00am. Any teaching or staff desktops get a forced shutdown on a Friday night, and they get the WOL treatment over the weekend. Staff latops get reboot reminders and then a forced reboot. Pupils laptops get an update every couple of days until they are all installed. These seem to work. My struggle is laptops that teachers take home and might bring back once a year under sufferance. The ones that are rarely used are also a problem and getting A/V updates seems to be an issue as well. They are slow on startup because they are rarely used and need updates, and are often rarely used because they are slow on startup. I drip updates out in the month after release unless there's anything really urgent, so I won't release the June updates to my test group before 1st July, and have had an update change freeze on any laptops that might have been used for GCSE's during the exam period. (Faststart is disabled across the domain).
  6. Done it!
  7. In your first image - it probaby doesn't make a differemce, but I have "Windows 10" checked as well.
  8. You have 23,000 odd updates there. What happens if you change the dropdown Approval to "any except declined" and and the Status to "failed or needed" ? In the computers view, can you see what's needed and already installed for devices? In Synchronizations, can you see what product synchronizations have taken place?
  9. I got my full bike licence in 1979 on a Honda 90. You could in those days. I did miles and miles on that bike, even Newcasle to London. I did bike safety training before I took the test. I sold my Honda 400/4 last year having not used it for a while.
  10. sigma

    Wonde problems

    Having had Wonde installed (unexpectedly!) at I Primary I support last month, I too have discovered this to be the case. It's living up to my fears.
  11. I'm heading in this direction, but not there yet. I assume you have added the exlusions from both these links? : https://support.imperosoftware.com/support/solutions/articles/44001774564-sophos-anti-virus-and-edpro-chromium-based-browsers-extension-fix https://support.imperosoftware.com/support/solutions/articles/44001209267-impero-education-pro-anti-virus-exclusions
  12. Sad, but I manually approve everything. I've seen to many bad updates break things over the years. Desktops get everything in one go, laptop updates get dribbled out one at a time hopefully so that nobody notices with the exception of staff latops that get them all in one go and forced reboots as otherwise they don't.
  13. Unless there is an urgent need to patch, I always delay for two or three weeks until others have beta tested..... and then miss some out if the risk of service dissruption is greater than the risk of not installing (based on available evidence).
  14. Tread carefully: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/new-windows-security-updates-break-network-printing/ Includes KB5005568
  15. From the Covid-19 Actuaries Response Group - How many COVID admissions are vaccinated? https://www.covid-arg.com/post/how-many-covid-admissions-are-vaccinated
  16. ‘My experience of SB had been good. I still tear my hair out at tiny primary schools that use a County service that can best be described as cranky.
  17. For another perspective, the ONS data is useful: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/16july2021
  18. My local butchers have told me that their staff will not be wearing masks from next week and that it will be optional for customers, so I will be shopping some where else.
  19. This was published by SPI-B. It seems to me to be directly relevant to schools where there are so many people close together. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/emg-and-spi-b-application-of-co2-monitoring-as-an-approach-to-managing-ventilation-to-mitigate-sars-cov-2-transmission-27-may-2021
  20. Rule of Thumb ..... Its an old person's expression (I'm old)....
  21. I've never had a problem with any kit old or recent from Aver. I have my own personal Hue which is now quite old, but we've used it thoughout the pandemic with a desktop.
  22. I'm going to butt in here. This has been a decent ROT so far: Ratio of cases 2 weeks ago to today ago and apply that that to current level of hospitalisations to predict hospitalisations in 2 weeks time. (Assumes that the % of cases needing hospitalisation says the same) Ratio of cases 4 weeks ago to today ago and apply that that to current level of deaths to predict deaths in 4 weeks time. (Caveat: current treatments are extending the time it takes to die, so not all are beng counted in the "had a positive test within 28 days" figure and same about ratios). So, Cases by specimen date 23rd June 17907 7th July 34446 (Back of a fag packet for simplicity, lets say it doubled) Hospitalisations (admissions) on 7th July 610 (6th July the latest available but going up at around 50 per day now) predicts ~ 1200 per day by 21st July etc. deaths on 7th July ~ 20 per day gives ~ 40 per day by 4th August etc. These numbers are baked in from people who are already infected. "If we do nothing", and maintain the current trajectory to get to Javid's 100,000 cases per day with conservativly saying that cases are doubling every 2 weeks, we would get to ~64000 cases per day by 21st July and ~ 120000 cases by about 4th August. If you extapolate the hospitalisation and death figures that does not put us in a good place. However the government says that it is planning to turbocharge this on the the 19th July and again on the 16th August. Remember, whatever number of infections you allow to happen, the number of hospitalisations is baked in for the following 2 weeks and deaths for the following 4 weeks. Although more people are being vaccinated, you are not fully vaccinated until at least 2 weeks after the second dose. What about Long Covid? (Declaration of interest: I live in a shielding house).
  23. I dislike generic accounts, but as I only do 3 hours a week at 2 particular schools, supply techers can have been and gone before I ever know anything about them. I think I could make the sealed envelope approach work.
  24. sigma

    TTS Data Logger

    I hate to say it, but I have never encountered any kit from TTS wasn't wasn't expensive c**p.
  25. I forgot to mention that I met Gazza and Paul Stuart in a hotel bar in the 90's (during their Spurs days I was told as I am not a football fan). Gazza also sat on my FIL's front wall while waiting for his sister's wedding. I met Thin Lizzy on a ferry gong to Sweden. They were almost impossibly tall.
×
×
  • Create New...