Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Primus

Members
  • Posts

    2,232
  • Joined

Everything posted by Primus

  1. It's funny - LightSpeed never seemed to have the issues elsewhere that SB blamed on them. Then SB moved to Netsweeper and oh would you look at that it now has issues as well - knock me down with a feather! In fact, if you remember, LS emailed people directly to defend themselves in the end which sparked quite a stir at the time with lots of members defending SB.
  2. No, no, it never is - it's either LightSpeed or Netsweeper isn't it?... Heaven forbid it should be an issue with Schools Broadband.
  3. If they're long term supply and your school uses emails to communicate then their job is much harder if they're excluded...
  4. Woah, so if I buy a Ruckus switch and want to make use of the 10Gb hardware I have to pay for an additional licence? That's nuts!
  5. Ok no worries, I'm not a huge fan of MS but they've been consistent on this.
  6. No you don't have to upgrade to Windows 10, obviously 7 is EoL in January but no one is forcing you to use Windows. Also Windows 10 is not the only release that is within support - you could move to Windows 8. Also who said overnight? You've had how long to plan for the replacement of Windows 7?! The EoL dates have been set for a very long time now.
  7. You can't complain if that information is communicated to you in advance of purchasing, as it has been with Windows 10. You can always buy a product from a rival manufacturer.
  8. It's a top quality service from a forum sponsor! It's also excellent how they've posted in this thread and kept everyone up to date on their obvious issues...
  9. I see your location is Wales and I know things are a bit different there but surely if it's unreliable they're in breach of their SLA and there is action you can take? I feel your pain on dealing with an LEA though - our old LEA IT services and broadband were far from fit for purpose!
  10. Then when it breaks you can't complain!
  11. It's their product and they been clear all the way through from the launch of Windows 10! To be honest I'm surprised they don't make u licence it separately to further reinforce this.
  12. Not if you sync your accounts and security groups from AD it can't!
  13. I appreciate there can be issues beyond our control but in this day and age a stable Internet connection isn't just a nice to have, it's a necessity and if your current provider has issues then this ought to be addressed - this might involve moving to another provided if they cannot (I'm thinking of you Schools Broadband!).
  14. MS have been consistent with this, LTSB was clearly described as not for general purpose PCs right from launch.
  15. It can make things easier to manage if you're syncronising AD with O365 but even then there are ways around that.
  16. Or maybe don't disregard MS guidance on inappropriate use of LTSB/LTSC and use the version of Windows the manufacturer intends you to. MS couldn't be any clearer on whtat LTSC is designed for, it is increasingly clear they are going to make things more and more akward for people trying to use LTSC on general purpose PCs.
  17. Set your vault retention period to longer - years if necessary provided you discuss this and complete the proper paperwork with your DPO.
  18. That won't guarantee anything as a student can unsubmit and then delete it if they want. Use vault to locate the deleted file.
  19. The silence from SB on here is deafening.
  20. Sorry just coming back to this - why would you expect HP to come in and advise you? If you needed advice around purchasing etc you'd normally go to a partner distributor? Essentially you're expecting free consultancy from HP.
  21. So a student teacher would be expected to know about SEN information and PP information to name but 2 of the groups they teach. Those of you who restrict their access to key information like this do you know how they then receive this information - is it through their mentor/the class teacher? Here they get the same level of access as any teacher.
  22. They're a lot more expensive and only show info that's already available in the controller. I don't tend to spend much time in the hub rooms or server room so I don't see the need for the screens tbh.
  23. Yes I think in terms of routing etc it's not really enterprise ready. What we did was save as much as we could at the edge to allow greater investment into an HP Core switch. At the edge I don't need stacking whatsoever. You buy what fits your needs but for more than 95% of schools Unifi would meet their edge and WiFi needs comfortably.
  24. Not really as if that were true they'd end support for products quickly to force this. It's not like their switching line has seen loads of replacement switches or updated models so far. I think maybe your handle on here is quite accurate as I seriously do not believe there is evidence to support your assertion. It also does significantly detract - cloud hosting for everyone for free would be a significant ongoing cost - it isn't the case.
  25. So this is going to sound at odds with my setup of using Unifi but there's not a chance I'd have D-Link anywhere near my network. Each to their own though!
×
×
  • Create New...