Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

powdarrmonkey

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    5,017
  • Joined

Everything posted by powdarrmonkey

  1. you think rail staff deliberately take as much time as they can so that trains don't get running again? eesh. Trust me, they are doing their damndest to get the system running again because of the impact it has on the entire region. It's true that information is sometimes hard to come by, I'll give you that. It's a combination of simply not knowing, and having other priorities to deal with. It's nice to get a reassuring 'yes, things are still broken' from time to time I suppose.
  2. To answer the original question: because trains don't work like cars, they are extremely serial. Once the train in question is halted, you have to: get emergency crews to the scene establish what happened and secure evidence in case of foul play ensure the line is safe for other trains to continue get the driver out and another one in, who could be coming from miles and miles away, because you can hardly expect them to carry on as if nothing's happened after an experience like that This takes time, and meanwhile the rest of the system has also halted because there's no such thing as a quick diversion. The entire system, especially during rush hour, is timed to an amazing amount of precision and tiny things can upset it, because trains can't just overtake each other. Meanwhile, in emotion-land: many, many drivers involved in one-unders don't ever get back in a train again, even as a passenger. Stop and think of them for a moment, can't you? You were late, deal with it. If it was a bomb in your carriage, you probably wouldn't have arrived at all. (heh, look at that rep go...)
  3. Yes, you can redirect them, but I recommend you do so with a proper UNC path instead of a mapped drive, in case the mapping is unavailable for some reason (during logon, for example). I've never seen that happen, it probably shouldn't.
  4. I've been doing pseudo-dynamic driver provisioning for XP for a while now, by building the drivers into the wim (yes, without pulling it down to a machine and re-capturing ) and letting the machine install them as required. WDS method of updating files in the image during deployment, without having to build them into it, is quite useful too.
  5. When they log out. It's like a supression mechanism for users you trust who know that, on this occasion, they are going to be using the machine at the scheduled time.
  6. It's so that the user can say 'I'm going to be here after the shutdown time, don't kill me for this session please'. It's reset after the session, and has to be permitted by the administrator.
  7. Well, there are now What version of the client are you using, and what gives you the error - group policy editor, MSI installer or both? I haven't had any problems installing to an x64 Windows 7 machine, so I wouldn't expect any from XP. There might be someone around who uses it and can have a try for us. Usual checks - .Net 2.0? administrator account?
  8. Thanks, PM coming And while I'm churning out screenshots, here's one of the session override in action (the test and exit items will disappear after testing's finished).
  9. Here you go. And on that note, the system tray icon isn't final. I'm not good with artwork, so if there's anyone here who'd like to help me with it (across the whole program) please tell me. I can't offer you anything but credit, since donations to date are a grand total of nil
  10. Well, still no memory stick for me, though I have just had some unrelated spam from them, which Andrew Castle categorically promised not to do
  11. Actually that Edimax thing is nearly perfect, except I don't trust them. It's put me on the right track to finding this though: Buffalo Technology - Products - WLI-TX4-AG300N : Wireless-N Nfiniti™ Dual Band Ethernet Converter This is the only bit that makes me worry: "Up to four wired devices can be converted to wireless, you don't need to have a LAN cable from each device to your router" but I presume that's because it's replacing a four-port switch and they've just muddled the words. Simon, if you can beat £50 inc vat and delivery, and you can take a personal order by debit card or transfer, I'll order it today
  12. Nope, WiFi is only good for about 30m in ideal conditions. You'll need your own leased line or two connections to the Internet.
  13. Trust me, upload from that 3G dongle will be sloooooooooooooow (that's the ghostly voice of experience ).
  14. Sounds like the Local Groups policy is being pushed out from the domain.
  15. My point is that you can't decide someone's pay on whether they have access to something. Pay should be awarded on the basis of skills, competence and experience, not political bickering to get rights of access and then not know what to do with it.
  16. Because expensive lines are synchronous, meaning you send and receive at the same speed. Cheap lines, like ADSL, are asynchronous, meaning your upload speed is pathetic (the assumption is that if you're just surfing the web and so on, you're going to download a lot more than you upload, so the purposes of the limited frequencies available on a copper line are biased accordingly).
  17. No, right of access does not equal competence.
  18. Ah, I was afraid of that. Oh well.
  19. Switches should be resillient and drop malformed packets, otherwise that's the simplest way to launch a denial of service attack. Sounds like your contractor is grabbing at straws, I'd replace the switch.
  20. CMIS has an API? o_O If you really mean API and not database, please tell me how and I will write things for it.
  21. A really big diaphone fog horn, [nomedia=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-74YtxSHCjU]YouTube - Portland Lighthouse Diaphone Fog Horn[/nomedia].
  22. Could be that your new DC can read from disk much faster, so it wasn't enough to saturate links before now but is now. But yes, I'd give them a ring and make sure.
  23. If it came back after the image finished, it's just the crazy heavy traffic saturating your infrastructure.
×
×
  • Create New...