-
Posts
5,017 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by powdarrmonkey
-
How to stop users adding new folders
powdarrmonkey replied to Little-Miss's topic in Learning Network Manager
In the advanced permissions you can specify much more granular access, including having separate create and modify clauses. -
How to allow laptop users to sync to server
powdarrmonkey replied to Little-Miss's topic in Learning Network Manager
I would strongly suggest you switch offline files off if you are using XP clients. It is waaay more hassle than it's worth. I've always given each user a local account with some additional power to use at home and domain account to use at work, and strict instructions that they are responsible for backups. -
Not without group policy preference extensions (and I'm not sure even then). You could configure the power on each one to shutdown when the lid is closed, but you risk really hacking off your users. You could prevent standby or hibernation so the machine is awake and employ Shutdownertron instead.
-
WDS to deploy an image, careful manipulation of sysprep to pull in the right drivers, and lots of post-install registry hackery to do things like install management software, set some options, manage a couple of reboots and trigger software installation. Oh, and active directory pre-staging to allow automatic naming. It used to have an extra step - presenting a pendrive with the wireless settings during postinstall - but now we have radius that comes from group policy, so that extra step is replaced with coffee now. The image itself takes about 15 minutes to pull, sysprep about another five and software installation between 20 and 40, after which there's a final reboot and the user sees a normal login screen.
-
My imaging process is near perfection - one F12 to boot, one enter to confirm, and an hour later it's ready for login with all software, drivers, etc (the image is empty, software is all done on demand so I can move a machine from art to music without a problem).
-
C:\> create worlds best network create worlds best network: unknown command
-
You can't just pick an AD group, it has to be a distribution list as the source for blocked users.
-
If they have a speaker connection at the back and headphones at the front, just put a cable into the back but don't connect the other end. The speakers will be mute but headphones plugged into the front will function normally.
-
[video] Cat + Tap = Shower.......Aww bless
powdarrmonkey replied to mattx's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Bless Presumably the water's going too fast to drink from normally, so he dunks his head in and licks up the droplets. -
Software Assurance: Why do I have a key for Expression Web?
powdarrmonkey replied to AngryTechnician's topic in Windows
We've got keys for all sorts that we don't use and don't have licenses for. I just ignore them. -
See How to create DNS Reverse Lookup Zone in Windows Server 2003 | Windows Reference
-
You need to set reverse DNS up for your subnet to show your own names.
-
I'd love a gift like that, better than a bar of chocolate which is the (rare) norm..
-
Network manager in lenny is a bit ropey with wireless connections. How comfy are you with the shell to do some digging around?
-
Shouting in your thread title won't get quicker responses.
-
Blatantly a worm... Edit: almost certainly Conficker, too. Sorry.
-
[ms office - 2003] Outlook cannot send email
powdarrmonkey replied to Luke_T's topic in Office Software
James wants cookies Check that you haven't required authentication but not ticked the appropriate box on your clients. If they fail to authenticate, or they're not talking SSL to an SSL port or vice versa, you'll get that connection interrupted message. -
[video] Ventrilo Nerd Confusion - The Ring
powdarrmonkey replied to mattx's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
That is legendary. Rep! Edit: oh, I have been repping you to much lately, sorry. Thanks will have to do Edit: nope, can't do that either. Damn. -
If you moved them into an OU (from, presumably, an AD 'folder') they were already part of the domain, you just weren't applying any policies except the default domain policy.
-
This is why I always ensure I'm at the opposite end of the site before starting the call, then I can't be asked to try something before an engineer visits.
-
Visual Studio Express Edition for VB.NET. I think you're going to have to tweak it to compile under .Net though...
-
My boss bought a car kit the other week that doesn't have a headset, it's like an outstation that clips to the sun visor and works like a speakerphone. No idea what it was called though, it came from eBay I think. Not sure if that's quite what you mean though.
-
Can the Vanilla 2003 (not R2) Active Directory Scheme be extended
powdarrmonkey replied to MacBriar's topic in Mac
FTR, any version of active directory can have its schema extended or altered (that's the point, after all), but it doesn't solve your problem. -
I haven't had any trouble at all (Windows 7 x64, but in ePortal and Facility are in x86 mode obviously). Printing is a little sluggish, but I think I had that complaint on XP too.
-
That would be me.
