Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

powdarrmonkey

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    5,017
  • Joined

Everything posted by powdarrmonkey

  1. You seem to have missed Facility/ePortal from the list...
  2. So far as I know, AUP Informant isn't under a free license so you can't expect source from him. Developers prefer good bug reports or wishlist requests more than they do source requests...
  3. You have to shield it against lightning strikes if you're running it at height, and against diggers at ground level, yes.
  4. kmount: good point, it was midnight and I'd assumed a small amount of data, sorry rsync is indeed much more efficient for just moving changes.
  5. DAY=`date "+%A"` tar jcf $DAY.tar.bz2 && scp $DAY.tar.gz @: See date(1), tar(1), scp(1). You could adapt it for FTP. Schedule it with cron(8) and you will get an email of the output from scp.
  6. Zak, I'll host an image for you. PM me.
  7. I remember 'accidentally' activating the caps lock remotely from time to time when trying to persuade boys they should be working... girls school now, they're not nearly so blatant about it
  8. Apache doesn't cache on its own. Moodle might do though, have a look in its documentation.
  9. 1. Ask C&G for a list of study centres; 2. Find a convenient centre and find out how much they want; 3. Persuade SMT to invest in you instead of buying a new desk.
  10. Heh, I grew up there...
  11. The most recent version is 2.4.something I think, and it fixes lots of stability issues for us when using Office 2007 on XP SP3. From memory it might be 2.4.5.3.
  12. No they're not, they are students of their institution. They (or the government) are paying good money for their qualification and should get the resources they need in return. It's not the school's responsibility to provide software licenses beyond their normal level of service, i.e. what would already be provided anyway.
  13. I didn't think you could have groups named as integers, for exactly the reason you've found. year07 or something might be better.
  14. You only can't use a link in your first post, it's an anti-bot measure.
  15. We are no longer friends
  16. For the record, it's a proxying IM thing for most major providers. Even if it's not blocked and you're tempted to use it, you should know that your password is available to it in the clear, so it's a b-a-d thing to use.
  17. You should probably check with the licensor what your transfer rights are before you start distributing them, even if it's in good faith.
  18. Tell them no? If they are really struggling to acquire their own licenses, they need to speak to their sponsoring institution (probably university) and get a work-at-home license thing for the duration of their course. I'm yet to hear of a uni that doesn't have the right MS scheme (possibly Open licensing) to do this with, even my tiny college did.
  19. Your link tries to open your webmail client....
  20. Go on a course, like the City & Guilds certification. Just making it up is asking to fry small children.
  21. Get the updated software from the website and install the MSI in there (it says 'DoNoRun' or something, but ignore that )
  22. Squid on Ubuntu or Debian, I would suggest. Assuming you don't want anything complex like authentication, just a caching proxy, this is the most straightforward solution (IMO).
  23. Then there is something screwy with your deployment setup, which I can't help you with. Check file permissions and so on, try doing a local install to make sure it goes on without hitches.
×
×
  • Create New...