-
Posts
5,017 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by powdarrmonkey
-
In those cases you are testing the power supply, not the board itself, and that's where the certificate should be attached since the supply can be detached from the device.
-
With my slightly-biased hat on, I suggest you start with a Ubuntu (or Debian) install because it includes well-maintained Moodle packages in the official repositories. Step-by-step Install Guide for Ubuntu using apt-get - MoodleDocs
-
I argue this is more about chemistry and engineering than physics.
-
I knew it! Nobody expects the brummie cabal! edit: oh, wait, I thought you were Danielle. But a cabal of two is still a cabal.
-
In the long run, if that's the case you're effectively taking responsibility (yes, it shouldn't be that way, because SMT are ultimately responsible, but I wouldn't put it to the test). I would hassle them, the governors and the LEA to do their research and write policy, then you can carry it out. This is wise. (Earthing isn't everything, but it is the last resort if a fault develops. The other measures that get tested should prevent any major problem long before that.) No, not unless you've done something really weird, like wire them to the case
-
Kch, I'm finally old enough to be able to say: you were only just born when it was released
-
It's a sortof monster tram, I suppose. Hurts a bit more if it gets you though.
-
That's because it's an application of 3,000V between the case and the live+neutral shorted together. It kills things if you don't understand it, and it's no longer recommended for in-service equipment by the code of practice, though I believe it's still done by manufacturers in controlled conditions.
-
[video] Rolf Harris demonstrating the new photoshop
powdarrmonkey replied to mattx's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Bloke's a genius. -
One of them is probably a flash test, which you most certainly do not do to a PC. Ever.
-
Perhaps. If the screws holding it in place aren't tight, for example, the resistance between it and the case changes. That affects the earth bond. This is academic though. You should still be getting an answer from SMT (then it's their neck on the line, not yours).
-
I've come across testers with an extended run time, so it can be done. But if I'm going to handle the machine, I'm far more worried that it passes earth and insulation
-
Wrong. Part of a formal PAT is the earth bond formed between the metal case and the case of the PSU. If they are exchanged, their characteristics change. Wrong. The installation matters as much as the visual. See above. Wrong. A PC is a class 1 item, so it gets* Formal visual inspection Earth bond test (100mA conductivity, less than 0.10ohm resistance) Fuse and polarity test Insulation test (must be >10Mohm) Powered run test within manufacturer's stated current requirements and acceptable leakage *at least, these are my local requirements. Yours may differ. The IEC lead gets a separate, aptly-named IEC test. This is precisely why you should be asking your SMT instead of relying on folklore.
-
My mistake. *la la la, I can't hear you..* - must have been One Of Those Days™
-
Nope, just lately it seems acceptable to judge a thread on the three latest posts, or if you were involved in the thread earlier on but missed a load of posts, the last one is authoritative.
-
Er.. I put it there. I can't find who I got it from though, it might have been in a deleted thread.
-
A little bit of powdarrmonkey magic (stolen from, I think, DaveP and refined a little). edit: actually clearly not DaveP, or you wouldn't be asking. It might have been RabbieBurns.
-
A parcel label in a photo of EduTech. Quite possibly it wasn't actually all that quiet, but I was deaf.
-
Take formal guidance from your SMT. Testing is not a legal requirement (contrary to popular belief), but providing equipment that is safe for a competent person to use is (hence an often-blanket policy that it must be PATed, because this is cheap and convenient). It's up to your school or LEA's local policy, and if they require it to be tested they must provide the means to do so.
-
You spoil all my fun
-
I didn't know EduGeek Ltd had been incorporated, that was quiet.
-
It's a group car washing facility modelled on a health spa.
-
I was tempted, but I'm 11. I've grown out of it.
-
Please, no. It'll be like Experts Exchange
-
Quite, which is why it's only worth 5 rep points. When proper reputation is given, its value is based on the giver's own reputation.
