Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

powdarrmonkey

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    5,017
  • Joined

Everything posted by powdarrmonkey

  1. Yeh, except he walked away. Murphy strikes again
  2. Oh, that reminds me: opening and tampering with the master socket is not permitted because BT own it. They are responsible for everything up to and including the master socket; after that it's fair game. Their responsibility is what you pay line rental for.
  3. I'm not convinced about O2. I recently recommended someone else to somebody who was with O2 at the time, and getting poor traffic rates in both directions. Since his neighbour didn't, we suspected back-haul at the provider and sure enough, it got a million times better with a provider change. He was out in the sticks which may have been a factor, but so is his neighbour obviously. So whether O2 have just over-sold capacity in that area, I don't know. But I recommended Goscomb, who are small but that does at least mean you speak to someone with a clue (and friendly, and English, and so on). No scripts in sight
  4. I've no idea, ask Stone. Probably because it looks more like a stone?
  5. And webOS plskthx.
  6. No, the grey rock shape is the new logo.
  7. Um... yeh, so does mine if you look in the corner
  8. I present to you powdarrmonkey's desktop exactly three minutes ago (after tidying, but lack of coffee has resulted in some blur). I couldn't resist.
  9. powdarrmonkey's scam senses are tingling...
  10. I also propose to call the Jobs forum 'Employment' and have it cover subjects like unions, facilities, careers and so on as well as job opportunities. Like FFS, re-branding it might help to remove some of the negative feelings.
  11. They are indeed astonishing performers: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgLdrDFuaHg]YouTube- Aerial High Bar Act - ALEGRIA (Cirque du Soleil)[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP6AJXprOXc&feature=related]YouTube- Power Track Act - ALEGRIA (Cirque du Soleil)[/ame]
  12. Ye-eahh....maybe you should read the OP again
  13. You have to activate it? Not only are they happily taking my details and spamming me with them, evading my emails and failing to send me a stick, I have to activate it when they do?
  14. Best example that comes to mind is copying /usr but not /var/lib, where package manager state data is held. Then you have things partially installed that it doesn't know about (actually, everything - even Required and Important packages, which will really screw it up). Or vice-versa - you will have no actual files installed, but apt thinks everything is , and that's not a pretty mess to be in.
  15. PHP: Trim a String Without Cutting Any Words (I make no assertion about the licensing position for that snippet, check before using.)
  16. Joomla is a very good choice, but it's very flexible which also makes it rather confusing to start with. If you're just after a few pages and maybe blog-like announcements for now, you might start with a trimmed-down Wordpress site and then play with Joomla when you outgrow it.
  17. It can be, especially on some Intel chipsets. There is an advanced flag in the driver that controls how the network card behaves after a shutdown.
  18. From experience, I'd still use Knoppix and a graphical gParted. It's much safer. This is riskier, because there's a good change you'll confuse the package manager in the process, and then it will stop playing nicely.
  19. A mechanical calculator, by the look of it.
  20. Boot from a Knoppix live disk and copy the partition, then grow it. Mount the new one, chroot to it in a shell and update your fstab mappings and reinstall grub to the MBR (Ubuntu, right? - dpkg-reconfigure grub). With LVM, I recall you can copy a filesystem snapshot to another disk, but I don't remember the details.
  21. powdarrmonkey

    Why?

    I can't decide if you're attacking or defending her.
  22. powdarrmonkey

    Why?

    Given the constant mod-bashing going on lately, I think the exasperation is entirely justified. I think mods and admins alike have made their position perfectly clear on more than one occasion. Once again a handful of members seem to feel that EduGeek is here for their own convenience and they are entitled to tread all over everybody who works so hard to make it a pleasant place to be. Well it isn't, and if you don't like that you should consider yourself lucky it is here at all. Edit: started before and in total exclusion to GD's posts, read into that how you will.
  23. A mutex is a lock on a variable, so that you know you can trust it between interrogating it and setting it. Example: I have a variable called var1, which is an ID number for a database row, and two threads - A and B. Thread A checks that var1 equals a sensible row number and then uses it to load the row from the database. However, between checking and using, thread B changes the value to -42, which is rubbish, and thread A gets terminated because it tries to access unallocated memory. A mutex blocks thread B from changing the variable until thread A has finished with it.
  24. You can nest PHP within HTML too, but I bet anything you like* that your classic asp scripts had a .asp extension. That's what tells the server to handle them specially instead of just spitting out what's on disk. *disclaimer: "anything you like" in this context means "one small bar of chocolate no more than 35g in standardised weight and £0.50 in cost at the time of purchase". This offer is valid until 20/01/2010 and unclaimed offers expire after this time. No purchase necessary, no guarantee or indemnity is given whether express or implied. The promoter will not be held responsible for loss of items once dispatched to you.
×
×
  • Create New...