-
Posts
5,017 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by powdarrmonkey
-
Why write the sql out to a file and then immediately cat it again? that's a good contender for the useless cat award. Anyway, I will look at it more closely tomorrow when I have a copy of nagios at my fingertips. Edit: in fact, isql gets the useless cat award all on its own. I'm astounded that it can't take its own input (filing a bug )
-
Much cheaper to flick a killswitch in firmware.
-
Jedi mind trick
-
But not to the thread, so start another please.
-
I'd avoid swivel chairs for students altogether, and if you must have them they should be single-piece chairs fixed to a swivelly base only. If they are adjustable in anything more than height, they have a tendency to be destroyed in months (or weeks). Ours don't have foam or coverings, so they can't be picked at, but the gas does absorb bounce well so they are actually quite comfortable.
-
Or allow your user community to build a whole ecosystem of extra applications that enhance the value of your MIS and encourage new users to buy it on that strength. The whole basis for companies that release source under open licenses is to do exactly this - for example, a hardware manufacturer that releases source for firmware. When the community contributes features, they get a better product and you get more attractive hardware. This is a similar opportunity, it's just a shame that none of the major players are taking it.
-
I think Russ meant 'about average' rather than 'about appropriate'.
-
Or lack of, because I haven't bought it yet. I would, however, be persuaded to buy a MIS on the strength of it having an API, which is business sense.
-
powdarrmonkey has seen marketing material with less emphasis and buzzwords... Anyway, back on the topic: I'm with MShakeshaft on the business sense. If I were offered a choice of SIMS and Facility (which are fairly evenly matched), and one came with a freely-accessible and well documented API, I'd pick it straight away. Then I could enhance it without groping around in the dark. That's business sense.
-
Hmm, for the record what is Pulsar supposed to do? I never got around to finding out when I used to use SIMS.
-
Whilst that's true, the ones that don't have a data-based ('scuse the pun) background invariably end up in Really Big Trouble™ at some stage.
-
can we reserve mugs?
-
Do I need extra CALs for this setup?
powdarrmonkey replied to sparkeh's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
You do - it doesn't matter if it's a human or a machine requesting services from the server, that action requires a license. (similar to how it doesn't matter if you're doing something useful or surfing eBay ) -
Do I need extra CALs for this setup?
powdarrmonkey replied to sparkeh's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Yes. (at least, as certainly as the big MS allow us to think.) -
No chance! I'll see you on Wednesday
-
Last time I deployed it the MSI was fine, but I had to script fleshing out the .ini file and restarting the service.
-
Hmm, good job it escapes single quotes first!
-
They should be flushed on a clean dismount; if it doesn't happen when you shut the machine down properly, there is something very wrong with your installation.
-
[ubuntu] Can't watch movies in ubuntu but audio is fine.
powdarrmonkey replied to llawwehttam's topic in *nix
I was going to suggest this but you beat me to it. Apt has a reinstall command though, which sanity-checks the file list and then runs the maintainer scripts again, so you don't lose configuration (purge removes it). Other suggestion: try the totem-xine package if you are using totem-gstreamer. -
/me is going to post witch some snow in a thermos
-
Hurrah, powdarrmonkey will be at BETT! So, if you're a [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy]PGP [/ame]or [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard]GnuPG[/ame] user and want to meet for key signings on Wednesday 13th January please send me your key details in advance and bring some ID and your key fingerprint, blah, blah..
-
Exchange Server Advice for Students
powdarrmonkey replied to rjones's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
And I at one that didn't provide student email at all; it's the head's decision. -
So that you can be confident that you transferred the cryptographic certificate to the machine in a trustworthy manner (i.e. you can be sure you didn't get some imposter's certificate, which would let them read your secrets). Not in RADIUS; guest access is a feature of your authentication provider, which in your case is IAS and doesn't have such a thing. This is BAD; you want certificate checking so you can be sure your clients aren't leaking authentication details to a rogue access point. For the same reason, it is vital to ensure your certificate key is kept properly secured. That would be http://yourserver/certsrv, where yourserver is the name of your certification authority server. You need to push the certification authority root certificate to the clients through group policy (computer configuration -> windows settings -> security settings). For non-domain members, you need to import the root certificate by hand (checking the certificate fingerprint, expiry date and so on as you go, of course). Paranoia is a good thing with cryptographic material.
-
Scrooges! BBC News - Hit and run driver targets Frosty the snowman
-
Sshhh, don't tell
