Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

powdarrmonkey

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    5,017
  • Joined

Everything posted by powdarrmonkey

  1. Are you releasing under an open license? If you're not sure, I suggest BSD or GPL (BSD is far simpler and does not restrict proprietary use). When you've decided, I'll happily contribute patches. Edit: you might also consider hosting on http://gitorious.org/ or Github, which would make contributions much easier too.
  2. Hmm, shame you totally ignored this advice in your actual release...
  3. It should appear next to the .exe when you build. Make sure they are application settings and not user settings.
  4. Use the settings classes - look under Settings in your project properties, and it will generate a settings file and classes for you.
  5. Thanks, I feel sick now
  6. Care to acknowledge your source? Good thing you're not taking public examinations.
  7. It's an overlay. Incompetence on the part of the paster, not the designer.
  8. You can't quit IT and still be a programmer...
  9. Here: using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.ComponentModel; using System.Data; using System.Drawing; using System.Linq; using System.Text; using System.Windows.Forms; namespace RamNotesDownThroat { public partial class NotesForm : Form { private System.Timers.Timer closeTimer = new System.Timers.Timer(10000) { AutoReset = false }; public NotesForm() { InitializeComponent(); closeTimer.Elapsed += new System.Timers.ElapsedEventHandler(closeTimer_Elapsed); closeTimer.SynchronizingObject = this; closeTimer.Enabled = true; btnClose.Enabled = false; } void closeTimer_Elapsed(object sender, System.Timers.ElapsedEventArgs e) { if (!btnClose.Enabled) btnClose.Enabled = true; } private void btnClose_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) { this.Close(); } private void NotesForm_FormClosing(object sender, FormClosingEventArgs e) { if ((!btnClose.Enabled) && (e.CloseReason == CloseReason.UserClosing)) e.Cancel = true; } } } (I grant this code to the public domain subject to no liability or warranty express or implied)
  10. You need the .adm white paper: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E7D72FA1-62FE-4358-8360-8774EA8DB847&displaylang=en It was last changed in 2004 though - the API is pretty stable, but if you're going to do anything weird check it hasn't changed since then.
  11. You need to: - declare a timer object member of the class - in initialisation, allocate it and hook up an event handler to it - handle the Show event and in there, set the timer to 30s and activate it - when the event fires, make your close button active I also realised your need to combine my snippet with AngryTechnician's, I didn't spot the logic flaw - do you?
  12. You could start with urlwatch and adapt it to send post data to do your login. Feed your changes back upstream though please
  13. There's a report post button in the PM, same icon as in a normal post.
  14. That's not clear to someone visiting the site; I had no idea you had a separate policy for your videos to your other content. (I also realise now where that very detailed statement comes from; it's lifted directly from YouTube's. I knew it was familiar.) You are now, having asked them, or you were when I raised my objections? Edit: no, you have just answered that.
  15. You need to check e.CloseReason for a user value first, in case there's a good reason that it's actually closing (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.closereason.aspx): private void FormName_FormClosing(object sender, FormClosingEventArgs e) { if (e.CloseReason == CloseReason.UserClosing) { e.Cancel = true; } } (also written from outside the IDE, so check it carefully). However, this is one more thing that isn't better solved with technology. If staff aren't reading the notes and making themselves aware of the information they need to do their job, there should be disciplinary repercussions - then the people that do toe the line aren't being punished for nothing.
  16. Thanks for digging up a thread from this time last year. I got all excited...
  17. You are promoting a site that actively encourages breaches of copyright. I don't think that's very appropriate here. I picked a couple of videos at random and they all happened to be from Teachers TV, who make it very clear that: Besides this, I am also unable to promote your site to our staff because I'm unhappy with your own terms of use, for example: Under what process are 'allegations' of copyright infringement put to you, with what supporting evidence? What constitutes 'notified' and how is it done? Who determines that the user is an infringer and how can he or she appeal? That said, sort out things like this and arrange some good content and I'll certainly recommend the site to our staff.
  18. Nagios here. Email notifications are easy; SMS are trickier because there are no provided modules, but either get one off the shelf or write your own (Nagios just calls the program you specify with some arguments and you handle it).
  19. You know mattx and tech_guy are going to try and find out what the limit is now...
  20. If you are a user of the Moodle packages on Debian or Ubuntu (or any other derivative) see Debian Security Advisory 1986-1. Summary: Package : moodle Vulnerability : several vulnerabilities Problem type : remote Debian-specific: no CVE IDs : CVE-2009-4297 CVE-2009-4298 CVE-2009-4299 CVE-2009-4301 CVE-2009-4302 CVE-2009-4303 CVE-2009-4305 Debian Bugs : 559531 Several vulnerabilities have been discovered in Moodle, an online course management system. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project identifies the following problems: CVE-2009-4297 Multiple cross-site request forgery (CSRF) vulnerabilities have been discovered. CVE-2009-4298 It has been discovered that the LAMS module is prone to the disclosure of user account information. CVE-2009-4299 The Glossary module has an insufficient access control mechanism. CVE-2009-4301 Moodle does not properly check permissions when the MNET service is enabled, which allows remote authenticated servers to execute arbitrary MNET functions. CVE-2009-4302 The login/index_form.html page links to an HTTP page instead of using an SSL secured connection. CVE-2009-4303 Moodle stores sensitive data in backup files, which might make it possible for attackers to obtain them. CVE-2009-4305 It has been discovered that the SCORM module is prone to an SQL injection.
  21. 99p an item for us.
  22. I repeat: portable appliance testing is not a legal requirement. The requirement is to ensure a safe working environment, how you do that is up to you. (bugbear alert: 'PAT testing' is like saying 'PIN number', it's a redundant acronym. The testing big is already in it.) (of course if I was going to be precise, I would say it's a pleonasm.)
  23. I never said we did; we have Elecheck come and do them. If they are those tiddly Yamaha type ones you'll probably find they are a sealed class II external power supply, in which case you're testing the supply not the keyboard. Although, in the nicest possible way, if you're having to ask you probably shouldn't be doing the tests.
  24. I'd have thought the wireless at the hotel is rated to 802.11b, 11Mb/s. So your actual useful throughput will be in the region of 3 or 4, and then you have no idea what the external connection is or how many other guests will be idly watching YouTube or iPlayer through it... I think you're probably asking for trouble.
  25. Fair enough.
×
×
  • Create New...