-
Posts
5,017 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by powdarrmonkey
-
Government PCs set for upgrade... to Windows Vista
powdarrmonkey replied to broc's topic in General Chat
As dad just put it: "What, the Vista that even Microsoft themselves are trying their hardest to pretend never happened?" -
Urgh, don't start that one again...
-
Note that some scanners finish with a tab character (in fact, probably most) and you can't always change that. Some come with a little book of configuration bars that you can scan to activate.
-
You can if you initiate a search first.
-
I was taught by route: if diverging from the road you're currently on, or it's marked on the sign as at a significant angle from straight ahead, indicate accordingly. For straight ahead, approach on the left or as directed by road markings, and indicate for the exit.
-
Hmm, I *may* have voted on this poll... Not sure where the BBC got their idea of a 'dry and stuffy working environment' from though... stereotype! No, a true geek builds their own phone.
-
See Hansard. Passing traffic on the left because it is turning right and you have room to do so, it slows significantly while you maintain your current heading, or it is stationary and you can pass safely, are all acceptable provided you do not put anyone else in danger by doing so. Undertaking because you are stuck behind someone is not acceptable, and will land you a charge of careless or dangerous driving (two years inside, 3-11 points, compulsory disqualification, etc).
-
A brief flash of the brake lights is amusing, too (especially with coaches).
-
You increase your speed to match lane three and do a classic overtake, or you move into lane two to make room for the car in front to move over where you were. If they do not, you put up with it or use lane three. You do not increase your speed in lane one and pass the slow traffic on the left. The law is perfectly clear.
-
Yes, your mv command will still rename it, you're just combining the tar and gzip steps (why have two processes when tar can do it all? )
-
Hmm. Ubuntu folks do even more silly things than I thought. In that case, redirect it to a log file yourself - in cron, @daily /path/to/scripts/scriptname.sh > /var/mail/mybackup.log 2>&1 #Backup all websites It will be easier to read if you do the gzip inline, as Tom suggests: /bin/tar -czvf /backups/joomla.tar.gz /var/www/ and get rid of the calls to gzip. Add the -v (verbose) flag to your calls to mv too.
-
Always worth a check How about /etc/aliases?
-
I did not realise this. Thanks.
-
Check cat /var/mail/root or /var/spool/mail/root? See if it's being directed somewhere else (/dev/null is a favourite) in /etc/aliases.
-
This is astonishingly dangerous, and it's also an offence. You may only pass traffic on your right when it is stationary, even on a lane that will soon diverge. Sounds like you need a lesson on lane discipline too. +1 on your second point though, and not just on motorways.
-
Default installations of cron on Ubuntu mail the job output to root, unless you redirect it (which you haven't). Take a look there. You also don't have a bang (!) in your shebang, line 1 (should read #!/bin/sh)
-
Dazzling brake lights are really annoying, but I have one exception: when I'm sat in a refuge waiting to turn right from a busy road, and the last (or only) in the queue in the dark. Then it's reassuring to have brake lights still lit so it's blatantly obvious I'm there and stationary. They go off as soon as someone pulls up behind though. My instructor had a good saying: "when pause turns to wait, on with the brake" (likewise, when following traffic, "only a fool breaks the two-second rule". He was a legend). Only this morning I nearly got killed by someone overtaking on the away from a roundabout, around a blind curve, approaching zig-zag lines and wholly on the opposite side of the road.. Bar steward. Didn't know there was such a thing as a manual license though. I thought it didn't make any difference?
-
@AngryTechnician: if it helps, five years ago I was taught to be in as "high a gear as sensible" to reduce wear and tear but still maintain control at low speeds.
-
12 months: Let me google that for you
-
So distracting, aren't they? I mean, there you are, trying to concentrate on how many cars you can get past before the next exit, and there's this whining noise coming from somewhere behind...
-
I concur (twice). I had a couple of motorway lessons after I'd been trundling around on my own for a few weeks, just to make sure I hadn't developed any bad habits yet, but I didn't do a proper extended scheme.
-
That's also how I was taught, five or six years ago now, though I was also taught to move out of gear for long periods of time. There were other things that struck me as odd, too - foot to the floor to accelerate out of 30s, rather than move through the gears, things like that. I've been having a lift with my girlfriend for a couple of weeks now since I broke my car, and it's interesting to observe the differences - she moves out of gear and releases the clutch practically every time she pauses, which means she's often slower to move off again (we had a different instructor, and she learned much more recently). She also uses first gear a lot more than I do, though that's probably a lot to do with my old car hating first with a passion.
-
Unlocking Axel terminal
powdarrmonkey replied to learning_curve's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I still don't get it. -
PaperPort is quite good at this, I don't know if it handles phone calls though. You want a sort of journal application, I suppose - maybe RedNotebook or possibly even Outlook?
-
Unlocking Axel terminal
powdarrmonkey replied to learning_curve's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Yeh, that was kinda my point.
