CyberNerd
Members-
Posts
9,169 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by CyberNerd
-
VMs and external storage
CyberNerd replied to cheredenine's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
We are using RedHat Enterprise Virtualisation which is the commercialized edition of the ovirt/fedora system. We are using SAN, but you could use a distributed filesystem such as GFS2 thereby still using separate disks on each server but keep the hot failover. More here: RHEV 3.1 storage: Functionality and considerations -
My favorite Babbage quote:
-
I think it would be the other way around - we use Moodle as a course management interface, it has a bunch of activities etc that are relevant to T+L. We use Google Docs as the back end to Moodle - It's integrated so that staff can use Google as the file repository and Moodle as the front end for it.
-
Sounds quite high - but then again, we were quoted £40k per year just to get Office 365 to the same standard as Google Apps.
-
VMs and external storage
CyberNerd replied to cheredenine's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
In principle it would be fine, I'm sure, but with the usual caveats - like whether your network infrastructure can handle it. -
Choice of PoE Switch for new wireless network?
CyberNerd replied to _Jo_'s topic in Wireless Networks
It'll all depend upon the expected load. If your planning 30 machines per AP and 10 AP's ie 300 machines+ then a single 2910 isn't going to cut it. -
Choice of PoE Switch for new wireless network?
CyberNerd replied to _Jo_'s topic in Wireless Networks
I really wouldn't put a 1910 in there, and I'd be skeptical about a 2910. The reason I say this is that they are edge switches. For something that is going to have a lot of access points, and presumably 30 machines per access point, I would be looking for something with near edge or core capabilities such as a 5500EI, 3800 series etc. Sure a 2910 would 'work' - until you started to get a lot of AP connections JG240A would be better by a clear mile. -
Why? Are you relying too much on client security rather than network security?
-
No problems with it here. Been site wide for a couple of years now.
-
VMs and external storage
CyberNerd replied to cheredenine's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
not at all - iscsi as a storage device is a common configuration. We use FC but iscsi will be fine for storage. We mount raw partitions, there are pros and cons to this and you can also format using the FS of your virtualisation software. -
Use Chrome, it has a built in pdf viewer.
-
I think its some of the wizards as well as Base. I run quite happily on some machines without Java. I think their plan is to convert to python, C++ or something
-
I don't think libre office needs Java these days, it used to be included but not any more.
-
It would be more simple to have this automated - sims will happily give you a CSV export on a regular basis with command reporter. All the webserver needs to do is pick up that file.
-
We've released the code now: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/educational-software/110175-released-moodle-mythtv-mythtranscode-integration-module.html#post942740
-
We have commissioned a Moodle plugin and released the source code under GPLv3. The plugin is an activity module that integrates Mythtranscode (a plugin for MythTV) into moodle. The basic premise is that Staff store/record programmes in MythTV. The recordings are encoded into HTML5 (webm and mp4) by mythtrancode. The files live on the MythTV server and the Moodle server mounts the partition (over iscsi, NFS). The MyhtTV database is searchable through the Moodle Plugin and then displayed in Moodle for staff and students once they are added to a course. Thus realising a TV service into Moodle. The programmes display full screen on modern browsers - IOS, Android, Chrome,Firefox, Safari once staff have added them to their course. The plugin is available on the Moodle plugins site: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_mythtranscode
- 1 reply
-
- 2
-
-
I'd recommend these guys: SAML 2.0 and SAML 1.1 SSO Products - SSO Easy They helped us set up a trial over a skype call.
- 5 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- active directory
- cloud
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I'm a bit sick of Javelin TBH -our old one is a 2004 J310C and its been a bit of a problem with drivers. Are the newer ones any better?
-
Initially we need 200 cards for staff, after that about 20 per year
-
As Title, I need some recommendations for ID badge printers.
-
motorcycle socks. really?
-
We use it and it is quite popular with staff.
-
Anyone got a quadcopter (specifically an ARDrone 2.0) working on their sites wifi?
-
No- that's the point - you need a physics Ph.D before you'll likely to get any sort of employment as a physicist and because there are relatively few people with this sort of knowledge so the salary is higher. Yes - and lots of people have this skillset and experience. I'm really not trying to belittle our chosen careers, it's just NOT an in demand job given the number of people who can do it with little or no qualification.
-
That's definitely true. I went from installing windows 2000 for the first time to installing a domain within about 6months. It all worked ok, but it essentially only took a few days 'training' to learn how to do it.
