CyberNerd
Members-
Posts
9,169 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by CyberNerd
-
terrible ping times if you have to go to space and back.
-
If your worried about her, speak to age concern: 0800 169 6565
-
I've not done this myself - we have a support contract. However I think the process is basically download the latest firmware, log in on the CLI (ssh using putty), do a backup (copy running-config X where X=destination), copy firmware from FTP site to local, then issue "upgrade controller X" where X= firmware version. It should then upgrade the AP's automatically. Sorry if this is a bit vague, like I said I've never done it myself. I strongly suggest you either purchase a support contract, or perhaps contact a specialist Meru engineer ( switchshop are very good Switchshop : independent specialist provider of IT network equipment solutions ) and see if they can provide a quote to do the upgrade. They may be able to do it remotely.
-
Install Linux. It works great for non expert users and doesn't suffer from half the crapware that infests windows.
-
ASA is actually pretty intuitive, compared to say - iptables and the ASDM java interface couldn't make things simpler, but when it comes to checking and implementing configs CLI wins everytime.
-
Either telnet through the FW on the ports shown (to the correct target) or issue show running-config on the ASA
-
Not in the context of BYOD. MS devices are a tiny minority of these. I think out of all of our wireless devices that students bring in (can afford) less than 10% are windows now and almost all of these are laptops. I didn't equate domain to mean anything other than an active directory domain (not withstanding DNS). Didn't figure on directory service being a domain.
-
There are stacks of directory/login services available. A traditional windows domain is much more than this integrating DHCP,DNS,Group policies etc. Whilst a directory service will still need to exist a windows domain is really only useful for managing a lot of windows clients. As microsoft becomes less relevant to IT, so do windows domains.
-
The patch leads need to have the same core diameter as the rest of the cable - ie if you have 50/125 cable get the same patch leads. you might need to get adapters to plug the preterminated LC into LC patch leads - some patch panels have them included, some don't. Assynia
-
SFP = Small Form Factor Pluggable (transceiver) Ideally you should buy a patch panel and plug it in there and use patch leads because multi-core cables are too heavy to plug in directly and you risk damaging the fibre as it droops down under it's weight. You can get everything you need here: Welcome to CMS plc - Distributors of IT Infrastructure, Network & Security Products
-
I would get OM3 it will allow 10GB/s. You can run 10GB/s over OM2 but you risk blowing your expensive transceivers as more light reflects back into them with the lower grade glass. 4,8,16,24 cores refers to the number of fibre cables. You need 2 cores for each link; transmit and receive. 24 core would give you upto 12 links. I would also advise getting 50/125 micron, keeping patch cables the same, and getting armoured cable as it is more robust and prevents rat attacks.
-
Papercut web printing works well. I've not really tried with cloudprint - but it's on my list of things to do.
-
Lightspeed vs Smoothwall
CyberNerd replied to Jollity's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
The Lightspeed cost to resellers is circa £3 per user/device per year (I forget which contract 3 or 5 yrs possibly). How does that compare to smoothwall these days? -
Lightspeed vs Smoothwall
CyberNerd replied to Jollity's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Cost or number of support staff? THey need to do it fast. April is approaching an I'm going to be looking more closely at lightspeed too. -
I'd seriously start looking at alternatives - something that would allow students to access resources at home on any device, eg VLE/HTML5 based. The AS software has become a bit of a lock-in in our school to the point where it is really difficult for departments that are entrenched in AS to be able to easily share their documents online. The AS personal is useless for ipad/android tablets - which is what the majority of our students own, and pdf/html export is long winded and doesn't include any interactivity. I mentioned this to promethean at BETT but got shunned as it didn't fit their business model of selling hardware. We've recommended any new IWB's are LCD and not to use AS for these reasons - but I'm still looking for some good HTML5 tools.
-
They told me we could have 2x software licenses for each hardware.
-
It depends how secure the rest of you network is, and some schools seem to concentrate on 'gpo=security' and forget the rest of the network. Theres plenty of bruteforce python scripts around, and some kids will happily fire them at your SIMS etc servers.
-
If you have managed switches, you should be able to do this dynamically - bandwidth violation = disconnection. PacketFence: Open Source NAC (Network Access Control)
-
Lightspeed vs Smoothwall
CyberNerd replied to Jollity's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I've noticed this happen too. -
shell access to a firewalled linux would be your best bet IMO. We used to run php courses this way. The firewall should stop any damage being done (any damage is going to be from network attacks) and you can run always alias or link nice to make sure they don't crash the machine.
-
If you want web apps, you might want to look at the Google Marketplace.
-
Over the years we've used RTFM from RequestTracker and MediaWiki. Now we use Google Docs - create the docs in google then share them with staff (and publicly on the website for students). It's very flexible and being google powered is also very searchable.
- 16 replies
-
It's interesting that we (me included) assume there must be some sort of new scandal, I guess that we are so used to it now...
-
They are both Nexus 7 on 4.2.1. I'd be inclined to send it back as faulty. At school we had a Toshiba android machine that kept crashing and rebooting, we send that back to tosh and a couple of weeks later they sent it back repaired. I guess it is easy to mix up a faulty hardware with a software bug if you don't have anything to compare it to.
