CyberNerd
Members-
Posts
9,169 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by CyberNerd
-
Run it as a published app and have it invoke Firefox. Better they choose this than a costly program and that kids can't use at home.
-
Yes - its the only software the exam board allow, and there is only one exam board. We managed to get it running in a few different scenarios without compromising any security: On Citrix using a published app, on Linux, and on windows with full admin rights.
-
Just a heads up that our servers decided a 6.4 update to RHEL is now available. Interestingly this gives support for Samba4. This is important because a RHEL subscription costs about £40 per year for educational domains and is *supported* by redhat - ie you mail them, they fix it. For the uninitiated, Samba4 is a full Active directory domain controller that uses MS own protocols and MS client tools to run an active directory domain.
-
MSOffice isn't exactly known for its compatibility between versions! Try LibreOffice where it fails.
-
You probably want Google apps then - 1) you can syncronise home folders (stored, and backed up on a server) as you describe 2) The office plugin runs on all versions of MSOffice after 2003 and will auto sync word documents into google as only works with the latest version of office and 365.
-
or puppet for freetards: https://puppetlabs.com/
-
Police Under Investigation Over 'Dog's' Witness Statement
CyberNerd replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
Someone needs to learn about escape characters. -
[ipad] IPad Deployment - Apple ID Question?
CyberNerd replied to EN4CER's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
When it comes with SAMBA 4 I'll agree with you wholeheatedly -
[ipad] IPad Deployment - Apple ID Question?
CyberNerd replied to EN4CER's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
I don't think the server osx is much more expensive, if at all. -
I don't think you can downgrade SFPs ? - as @DMcCoy said "1Gb SFPs run at 1Gb or nothing."
-
There was a firmware that fixed this.
-
port shutdown? - they often are on first config. Twisted transmit-receive fibres?
-
[ipad] IPad Deployment - Apple ID Question?
CyberNerd replied to EN4CER's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
ipod mini sounded wrong when I was typing it and spent my whole journey to school trying to remember that it was an imac mini! -
[ipad] IPad Deployment - Apple ID Question?
CyberNerd replied to EN4CER's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
We bought an ipod mini server - it's a fraction of the cost of 60 ipads -
cheers. I'm at risk of becoming an apple fanboi. not cool.
-
thanks, I'll try that.
-
Lightspeed vs Smoothwall
CyberNerd replied to Jollity's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Any sort of client sucks when it comes to filtering, utterly. -
Continuing my "research" using osx; Most of the useful stuff is already here: python, vim,emacs, bash, grep, sed, awk, scp, ssh. But there is a bunch of things I need that is missing. How do I add useful repositories? I want to install things like minicom,nmap I'm using "11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2" which probably means a tiger, leopard or something.
-
I just spotted a timely article on this very subject: Satellite Internet faster than advertised, but latency still awful | Ars Technica
-
[video] Nuclear power, thorium and LFTR
CyberNerd replied to localzuk's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
THey've not made Water Cooled reactors for years, I don't think we've ever had them in the UK. THere is a fundamental flaw in water cooled reactors (as pointed out in the video) and this is what happened at Chernobyl - the reactor heated too fast, the water turned to steam; created a positive void coefficient, the steam couldn't take the heat away and this resulted in a thermal (not nuclear) explosion. Modern reactors are never made this way, even the 1960's reactors in the UK are gas cooled (CO2) and sometimes cooled with liquid sodium - thus this type of accident can't happen on most reactors. -
Sweet. It works on Ubuntu on the macbook as well
-
It looks like the predictions of Google turning evil are starting to come true. For the first time they have started sueing over patents: FOSS Patents: Google files first patent infringement suit in company history to hit back at BT They are sueing BT, so it isn't all bad
-
Awesome. That two finger action works great. (thats what she said anyway). Thanks matey.
-
presumably, on a surface pro you can just run an android virtual machine?? It would be better for the RT which doesn't have apps of its own.
-
Hi All, I've been using a macbook pro this week, just to keep me uptodate with it. One thing I can't fathon is pageup/pagedown. The internet says I use the alt (funny little symbol key) and arrows but it doesn't seem to work. any ideas?
