-
Posts
1,577 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jamman960
-
If the text is sometimes returning when changing page and back then I'd say its a software glitch. Try using MS Paint instead of activ primary to test it or give inspire a go
-
If the text is getting to the software then the board is working as it should, I'd ditch active primary 2/3 entirely and switch to Inspire(free upgrade via the promethean website) anyway with or without this issue, I find it to be pretty stable and has far fewer quirks. Not quite sure what could be causing this in a specific room, I'd say look at the network connection in addition to plexer's suggestion although it should have no bearing what so ever
-
What sort of admin setup/data are we talking about? do the clients have client software(sims/fms/cmis etc) installed? If you could for instance tell us it has sims installed we could offer further advice more specific to the software. If you have a support agreement in place with the LEA/Capita or whoever I'd start following that up for disaster recovery instructions. If its purely data I'd just setup a new server, copy the data accross and figure out what shares the clients are expecting by inspecting one of the workstations. edit: running an install repair should get it more or less up and running - you'd just need to tweak a few drivers here and there etc etc
-
I started off using a black plastic bag then decided to use re-sealable food bags - seal the bag around the bottle and left as little as possible inside the bag. Could then see exactly whats coming out and hopefully keep the bottle itself as clean as possible Since then we've gotten rid of the printers that used them too often and just have the leased MFP that uses them like water(known fault...) - they send out free replacements so we don't bother emptying them anymore
-
[iphone] Do you use passcodes?
Jamman960 replied to aerospacemango's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
I'm suprised 2512 isn't on there... I'm sure the top 10 credit card pin numbers would be pretty similar when will people learn! -
The extended lifecycle of XP has caused this mess, very few wanted to upgrade to Vista so downgrading to XP has been the norm until windows 7 came along... we're only making the move to W7 as pc's get replaced. I'd rather not spend money on machines that are going to be replaced in 2-3 years time, I expect we'll have cycled out the XP machines naturally by the time the new deadline comes along, Summer 2012 would have been a bit of a push.
-
Its good to have a little more breathing space, I'd ditch all 3 tomorrow given the chance but we're having to do it in stages, especially as budgets have been slashed
-
Week 1 - Off (annoyed our finance team with this one ) Moving offices Finish setting up new IT suite(cabled up during half term) Clean all projector filters sort out an intranet(helpdesk, room booking etc etc) and generally work on GPO's etc to improve user experience Various cabling jobs replace a few projectors Move sims to server 2k8R2 hopefully replace a load of workstations change IP ranges (who decided to use 147.0.0.* ?!?!) - should have moved away from this long ago but never found the time Our budgets have been cut this year so no major plans have been made, might even get chance to take a few extra weeks off
-
Guys, i need your collective brains....
Jamman960 replied to Little-Miss's topic in How do you do....it?
p2p wise I'd see what your LA can offer, if you could connect both sites to the RBC you may be able to communicate between them at a reasonable speed. This may be an expensive option though. We looked into using leased lines to connect our sites before but found the costs to be in the region of 10k per year plus about 5k for installation. Fibre via the sewer was another option but still incurred rental fees although they were slightly less. In the end we forked out for an FSO link with radio backup which is working wonders. Is line of sight entirely impossible even from the roof with a pole/other extension? we found that from the very highest point of our building we just about had line of sight -
Making a child-proof computer system for early years class...
Jamman960 replied to talksr's topic in How do you do....it?
I wonder if you could put a switch in between the pc and keyboard allowing the staff to enable/disable the keyboard, as long as its usb I'd imagine it'd be possible - PS/2 kb's would need to be active on boot to work at all I know you've already tried it but getting the staff to take ownership of their equipment and keep an eye on the kids would be the ideal solution, would the SLT get involved in this to help you out? I imagine the behaviour side of things is far beyond your JD We have 6 early years classes(if you count Reception) and I've never had any trouble with their machines other than the normal breakdowns etc -
Amazing race in the end, my other half got bored and decided to watch something else half way through the red flag stop... ended up catching lap 40 to the end though I really thought Schumacher had a chance of getting on the podium before that last safety car, I don't normally support him but he also had a damn good race and almost deserved to be up there
-
I'm kinda liking it so far, I get the impression they've intentionally created a dated game - it almost has the feel of the originals which is the whole reason any of us are playing it I suppose It is a tad too easy... just got to this bit and lol'd - New Duke Nukem Forever Gameplay - Halo Easter Egg (Master Chief Armor)‬[/url] (NSFW - as you'd expect from duke!)
-
As above its good to see the FMS GUI getting some attention, judging by the icons it shouldn't be too much of a learning curve. Is there any chance of seeing a few screenshots? I'd be interesting in seeing how the look compares to sims.net and hopefully be able to give our accounts department a better idea of whats to come. I probably should keep a closer eye on supportnet, I don't remember seeing any product booklets earlier in the year although my line manager may have squirreled it away somewhere(Direct supported Independent School). I was just suprised to see such a potentially major change get so little attention. Our accounts dept tend to have everything written down including menu routes and icons etc, they're not the most IT literate bunch unfourtunatly
-
I've just had a quick look at the Sims 2011 Summer Pre-Release note published today and spotted this: This is the first I've heard about a facelift for FMS, has anyone seen it yet? I'm guessing we're not talking about it going towards looking like sims.net... surely they'd make more of a song and dance about that and have several beta tests etc etc
-
I think I just about understand what your getting at - the switches you currently have only have 1 slot for Gbic/SFP's each? The fibre cables you currently have can be converted to the newer styles if you need them to be, most suppliers can get hold of ST-LC cables or just about any combination you could possibly need to convert from older styles to new ones (most commonly LC) Larger/Core switches generally have 4 or more SFP slots availible which you can fill with Fibre SFP's. You'll probably want a decent switch in the middle ideally close to your servers, from there you're right - you could stick pretty much any switch with one or more SFP slots on the edge
-
IPv6 - How quickly will we need to comply?
Jamman960 replied to elsiegee40's topic in Wireless Networks
Definatly keep it in mind when buying new equipment. I'd imagine you'll find that things simply fall into place though, by the time you need to impliment IPV6 all non compliant devices will probably have been scrapped(6+ years?) or be on their way out. -
IPv6 - How quickly will we need to comply?
Jamman960 replied to elsiegee40's topic in Wireless Networks
Eventually ISP's will or should start to migrate towards IPV6, at which point I'm sure they'll provide instructions on re-configuring routers etc. In theory we could all continue to run IPV4 internally forever - its not like any of us are going to max out the availible private IP blocks. As IPV6 adoption becomes more widespread it'll be much easier to impliment, at the moment I'm sure most of us couldn't consider it for various reasons - we probably all have non-IPV6 compatible devices floating around Also there are plenty of us on here working in private schools - who needs an LA when the time comes(if it ever does) we'll get it sorted one way or another -
While we're on the subject is there any chance of changing the rep system so that you can see who's given you the rep? it'd be nice to know who's taken the time to give out rep. There have been a few cases of negative rep being given to members along with comments that probably wouldn't be sent or posted if they couldn't do it anonymously - this is rare as far as I've seen admittedly
-
Having worked for NS Optimum in the past as an engineer I think this could be a good move, I think many of their problems seem to have been caused by being over-ambitious and not quite having the staff to deal with the amount of work they had at peak times, especially during the summer months when some of their staff were temps that hadn't always been up to scratch. Their 1st line sales tactics were also a little pushy at times but most of the account managers are great guys, as are the technical, production and AV installation staff - many of which have been there for a decade or more. Hopefully expanding will allow them to take on the extra work and be able to cope with it better. They do have many loyal customers but as is often the case on the internet happy customers don't feel the need to shout about it whereas those with complaints often feel the need to let every man and their dog know about the problems they've had.
-
You will however still need to declare the PC & pay for it on your schools agreement even if you are using linux.
-
I can imagine, my nephew's bad enough on his own without the sugar! should have plenty of recovery time... just hoping that I can disappear half way through to catch the F1 qualifying! lol
-
New school website - Joomla or Wordpress?
Jamman960 replied to bondbill2k2's topic in Web Development
I'd go for Joomla out of the two, I'd imagine you'd quickly find that wordpress isn't quite flexible enough for a full site. We've integrated wordpress into our static site for the newsletter section though. -
Backup Domain Controllers in an era of austerity
Jamman960 replied to swpmre's topic in Wireless Networks
Server hardware is generally more hard wearing and designed for 24/7/365 uptime, Desktops are fine for the task but you will be more susceptible to component failure. -
I'm hosting(well co-hosting at least ) my 5yr old nephews bday party tomorrow then visiting family up north over the rest of the weekend Then its back to work & pretty much a full week of cabling - data in the new suite, data for a few cctv cams and then re-cable tieing our 150m inter-building fibre link to the tension wire as the cable ties have all started to fall off after 7 years Only 7 more weeks till the summer hols! hoping to take it easy this time
