Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mullet_man

Members
  • Posts

    2,035
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mullet_man

  1. I've had a reply back on the Technet post which is very promising, turning off RemoteFX has seemed so far on my test fixed the white box issue. It still drops to the taskbar upon opening which isn't a major issue like the white box. This is the post. I applied it to my RDS server via GP and did gpupdate and then disconnected and reconnected. Tested on two W10 devices and working fine. Let me know if it helps for you?
  2. I'll need to borrow a laptop to try Windows 7, were still on summer. Interesting that almost same issue is happening on hosted sims too. If you beat me to W7 test let me know what happens?
  3. Very interesting is that straight after login and the splash screen has loaded? Am conflicted now if it's a SIMS issue, server or windows 10 issue.
  4. Hmmm - interesting to see the hosted SIMS is a bit flaky too, don't they use 2012r2 for hosting? Hopefully I'll get a response on the technet forums, I've got a feeling its a MS issue.
  5. What release of SIMS are you using? We are still on Summer 2017, interesting that @thimon has a similar issue with actual hosted SIMS. Wondering if it does the same white application issue too.
  6. We are mostly W10 here and I haven't tested it yet on Windows 7 machine as yet, it's definitely broke on Windows 10. Does the SIMS application stay white when you click on it from the taskbar? Interesting if it's affecting proper hosted SIMS too? What version of SIMS are you guys on?
  7. I've posted on Technet - am fairly sure it's a Microsoft issue. I've seen a few old KBs for 2012r2/2008 which show similar issues, with pop-up windows not drawing correctly etc. e.g. this one https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2614136/some-windows-of-a-remote-desktop-services-terminal-services-remoteapp I'll keep you informed if I get anywhere.
  8. I've been tested some more today and do think it's a resolution issue, if you open sims, and login and leave the app on screen while it's all white and change your resolution it will then appear. Although currently on the machine am testing on opening SIMS seems to be not displaying white, am not sure if it's just a one off so will test another machine.
  9. I didn't expect them to offer much of a response - would be interested to know if other edugeekers have similar issues though as can't just be us two? Unless it's a 2016 issue? I've tested all sorts of app compatibility settings and none seem to fix the issue. We are using Defender so I guess that rules out Sophos/Defender as the causes. Have Capita closed the call then?
  10. Out of interest what resolution have you tried? My work PC is 1920x1024 but tried on 1366x768 and still has same issue. I've just tested on my laptop which I've set to 1366x768 and it still minimises but doesn't go white and has all the detail on the app. They might be onto something about the resolution but no idea how you'd fix that? What release of SIMS are you using? We're still on Summer and haven't updated to Autumn.
  11. Nothing helpful in that really. I suspect they won't be any help but you never know.
  12. Any news from Capita? Been playing with compatibility settings on the app to see if it makes any difference. If I change to XP SP3 it seems to load minimised but clicking the app opens fine no white box. (haven't tested at home yet) The only issue is you get a UAC prompt before SIMS opens. Obviously I need to test at home. Cheers.
  13. Please keep me updated, am very interested to see what they say. If they use RemoteApp they must have seen this issue and must have some workaround in place?!?
  14. Actually scrap that above - it seemed to load perfectly in school but still wobbles at home. Still minimises after entering your login details for SIMS. Does everyone who has SIMS + RemoteApp have this issue? Am sure someone has cracked it?!?
  15. OK am getting somewhere with this problem. I've found there are a few command lines for Pulsar exe. One is called /START which you can use to open SIMS to a specific page, if I use /START:"HOME" SIMS loads fine and doesn't go white or minimises on loading - but doesn't open the home page as I've not got the correct page selected, its a slight win I guess. Anyone know a document which lists menu item names for SIMS? If we tell it to open the homepage it might work?
  16. Same here had it for a few years now and renewing is a pain, took me months to get it on our agreement originally.
  17. This is what happens with us - on loading up after entering your user/pass SIMS will flash on the screen correct - full screen but then disappear minimised, opening it back up from the taskbar will show you this. Which is similar to your issue. We have to click top left for it to become available.
  18. We require logins to SIMS not using SSO. How do I configure the deployment? This is all I can do, I can't edit the command line?
  19. Chris, Doesn't seem to be working for me, although am guessing I've set it up wrong?!? So should the target should be like this? "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\Milesoft.SIMS.Bootstrap.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\Pulsar.exe" cheers
  20. Thanks Chris - I’ll check this out and let you know if it works. I’ve found that if i open Sims as a remote app on a pc in school it will load minimised and be unresponsive until you fiddle with app bar but opening externally just minimises but the app is responsive. But I’ll Give your wrapper a try. Thanks
  21. So far I've only been testing on Windows 10 - most of the tests will have been on higher res's I guess. We've still got a few Win 7 machines floating around so I could test to see if it's a W7 or W10 issue. Am wondering if the hotfix is available for Windows 10.
  22. Hi WCARR - welcome to the world of the start layout. I've had some success in manually editing the xml file in notepad and changing the location of the application from "%allusersprofileblahblah%" to "\\fileserver\startmenushare$\word.lnk" Some links you can leave like edge and calculator. Try that and see if it works. Make a copy of your start layout xml before butchering it
  23. Yeah we keep just the basics on the start layout so it's stuff that's installed on all devices so there are no gaps. We have subject based software in folders on the all programs section in the start menu. I think gaps show even if you direct to a lnk file which is a program that doesn't exist. The start layout is a massive PITA and you've done well to get it as full as that.
  24. Am glad it's not just me then, having previously used Citrix which worked fine am not sure if this is a 2016 thing? Be interested to know if others have similar issue or fixed it like you say.
  25. Thank you thank you! I had a issue with my SIMS was loading then disappearing after logging in (minimising). I tested your suggestion above and it's fixed it!! Thanks. UPDATE : sorry I thanked too soon - it seems to have opened fine once and now every other time is back to opening minimised.
×
×
  • Create New...