-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
lol Now i'm confused hehe I didnt need to add in a adm geoff - at least, i dont think i did and they cant right-click on the start menu, start button, task bar, clock or desktop [not 100% bout the desktop]. Cheers Nath
-
I got a Creative MuVo2 4GB - awesome machine. Havent used it since the summer tho, as I've lost my psu for recharging it hehe and it didnt have enough power left for me to USB charge it :( Also got a Muvo 256MB Slim for my g/f - but i've been using it mainly til I front the cash for the PSU for mine. She wants me to get her a iPod - but cant explain why lol [dont you just hate hype?]. I try explaining that its just the same as her one [depending on the model of course] and that ultimately, they are both music players but no joy Head >>> wall *sighs* Nath.
-
I likes my Windows Media Player - does all i need.... it plays music hehe WMP 11 is nice and looks like 10 but with a different skin really - I dunno whether it does look like iTunes as I've never [and hopefully will never] use it. *whispers* iPod's are over-rated you know hehe ;) Bub bye Nath.
-
http://forum.xatrix.org/viewtopic.php?t=320 This kinda stuff is irritating but looking at the last poster, if they think teacher are the admin's, then we are safe... providing that we do give the teachers admin roles/permissions. Logic to our madness Nath.
-
or lock the machines away works for me [where possible naturally ] i weigh up overheating in a cupboard over them vandalising them [and removing the product key / serial number stickers] Nath.
-
They do [AFAIK] but only the OS preceding the current version of the OS available [i believe]. i.e. Windows Professional = Current ver: XP --- Previous ver: 2000 Server = Current ver: 2003 --- Previous ver: 2000 Think thats how it goes, but i could be wrong. Nath.
-
hehe aye.... working in midi scores u wont have a problem with file sizes then Cheers N. PS Just watched a pupil install Skype and logged on with it too lol Screen Capturing is fun [not sure how it let him install it tho :S]
-
I take it that they wont be doing any .wav file recording then lol or have many sounds in powerpoint presentations with 5MB lol ;) Is R2 out then? Typical of me to miss that hehe [Mark - whats the price for us? ] Nath.
-
Win2003 server backing up all AD, DNS and DCHP config data
tarquel replied to Cyber-Dude's topic in Windows
LOL .....I'm looking at doing something similar regarding backing up the domain data. I was thinking of rebuilding the server as its been dog-slow since the change of IP ranges here [yes, we've discussed that one lol]. What I'm thinking is if I can backup the AD, DHCP and Group Policy setup [all the home dirs is already backed up ] and then rebuild the DC again, I could import the AD, import the DHCP & then the group policy, and enjoy a nice clean setup The DNS can be damned btw lol wont be needing that backed up i dont think. I'm thinking of doing this as I warey of promoting the email server to a DC, and also, because i fear that the "problem" with the system might carry across - making it all pointless that way. My only other thought is the Exchange server - what would I need to do with that? lol [Everyone is using OWA btw] The other thing i wanted to do is alter the domain name slightly i.e. becomes just: so dropping the curriculum part - but having the Pre2000 domain still called CURRICULUM - just to avoid hassles hehe Any thoughts? Nath -
The best bet is to manage your own licenses and dont let the server do it hehe I use Device CALs for client workstatations connecting to the windows servers - as you can connect to as many windows servers as you like with each device cal [although theres bound to be some exceptions such as software servers i.e. MS SQL, Exchange, etc..] - and then for things like Exchange, I purchased various types of CALs to cover each, and every situation [i hope hehe]. Cheers Nath
-
so who wants to test them all and report on the best one? EDIT: With the problem here of staff leaving themselves logged in, I also would expect a good util to require the member of staff to log in to the tool... [so a kid couldn't just come along and change other pupils passwords etc in those situations where the staff member has left themselves logged in] ...and then choose the pupil etc and change/reset the password. Nath
-
...and we all could do with some resiliance hehe Nath.
-
Thanks dude - are you offering to pay?? Its not worth that much money i dont have methinks I would have to wave bye-bye to the weekend break for my g/f if I bought that hehe ...I'd also have to wave goodbye to eating and drinking too i think hehe But i do plan on getting a nice Athlon 64 3700+ and a nice shiney PCI-E 939 mobo & mid-range [or just cheap-ish] gfx card sometime before the summer. Do HP do Opertons in their servers guys? Maybe I'll try one in the next server we buy. Nath.
-
lmao what.... as in "ignored"? lol I'm too thick to know what NQT means anyhow N.
-
hehe it is.... 26k-29k?? niice! I get half that amount & run the whole show lol Whoever said that way bad, hasn't been here Nath.
-
bah - why are all the nice jobs so far away. *waits indefinately for one to land in his lap* ...... Nath.
-
exactly - no need for collecting mac address [unless you are reserving IP address - which is still nice as you can add them in DHCP as you go along because it displays the MAC address during the very begining of the process lol] *mental note - remember to play with RIS again* Nath.
-
...or better yet NetworkGeezer, lock the computers away so they cant access them but anyway people.... *puts mod hat on* Please keep on topic... Sorry if i missed it, but when you say u cant log on locally, and you changed the computer name - is the computer attached to a domain at all? If so, there lies the problem I'd guess - especially if u have something set in the GP that may suddenly come into affect with this new computer name [if it even allowed it] i.e. a "prevent local log on" type security policy Cheers Nath Cheers Nath
-
@john - whats the audio recording like on those? Our music room is a bit of a mess at the moment - I have a load [7] of HP DX5150 SFF desktops to set up there, with external USB Edirol UA-25 soundcard's to go with them. My plan is to run extension cables on them and keep them in a locked cupboard - mainly to prevent "tampering" but also would help keep the noise down too. Its worked in another room - i get very little go wrong there, although the cabling could be neater - but thats what you get for doing it "on the cheap" hehe I did a pretty good job I think Nath
-
um..... why would u need to use it? It's designed for a workgrup that doesnt belong to a domain as I understand it - so there wouldnt be much point really. You can most likely lockdown much better through your Group Policy. Regards Nath
-
ahhh "Shared Computer Toolkit" - Still been meaning to use that for our music suite that is "all alone" on a workgroup and not attached to the rest of the network.... ...one day i might get around to it hehe Nath
-
bossman & buzzard: Thanks guys, but its not that i.e. I'm not using the microsoft terminal services client. Its just bog-standard loading it up on the server and loading it up on the client workstations - The same version but somewhere along the line, it corrupts the profile and the rest is history i guess hehe Easily solved with a quick wipe of the MMC part of the profile - but strange how I never had that problem until recently [start of the thread date-ish]. I now cant reset a user's password now lol when going to reset password using the AD U&C console. I get: hehe How does that make sense? I'm the administrator hehe It does work however, by not being on the domain [my machine i use is not attached to the domain yet hehe] and installing the adminpak and using the AD C&U console - then connecting to the domain. That works. I think it must be my roaming profile on the administrator account ]no laughing now lol] Cheers Nath
-
I think he was replying to you eejit lol What you could do is prevent directory listing - so that they can read/write but can't view the contents i.e. so even if they did manage to find the directory, they wouldnt be able to browse it Regards Nath
