Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. I know.... and, I know lol yep, thats what i was after, but after a year of no luck and limited amount of holiday time left, i'm worried about giving myself more to do [i've got a room to cable PC's into cupboard's & re-setup the music room when its completed] which is why I'd love to find out if i can fix the DC without a long-winded DC wiping process thingy lol Not sure where the thread is now, but last summer it was, and the basic story is after implementing the firewall/vpn system, I changed the IP ranges of the two seperate domains. The firewall still logs old IP addresses coming from the DC's, even though I've completely [AFAIK] removed the DNS server's on both ranges and started again. That isn't the problem tho - its the fact that both servers have turned into slugs and have started to affect things now, in that sometimes, no one can connect to the server [which then needs to be restarted]. I havent seen anything legible in the Event Viewer that gives me any clue, so thus the reason for the idea of wiping the DC. The thought about not wanting to keep the domain settings, and starting again [with the GP, AD Users / Objects & Share Reg export] with a fresh version of the domain was my idea - but having to go and manually start over with all the machines again [like i did last summer at some point after the IP change] I dont relish doing the same again. Its taken most of this year to get everyone happy with the custom programs and stuff on the department pc's. *sighs* what to do..... I dunno [but if i can just manage to get a job, i will finally wont have to worry about it hehe Any jobs that dont require me moving house available? ] Regards Nath.
  2. PlusNet Premier [or the PAYG one] you can use a static IP on. I'm on premier with a static IP on 8M [nice to have 448K upload over 256K - it makes alot of difference you know *pointing at those sniggering in the back hehe*] http://www.plus.net [and to anyone who signs up, use my edugeek username as a referal please please ] Nath.
  3. ahhh i see Good job I've stopped using images now with using GP for mostly everything - great for installing overnight in multiple rooms Cheers Nath
  4. As in the only thing they provide is a setup.exe type - not extractable as i recall, or even if it is, its just files that arent your usual driver files / dll's / etc. Might be able to make it silently install if thats the case, but still lots of faffing about even if i cud make it silent. Still have to configure the driver afterwards etc... Just a bit of a PITA... but im used to that. Nath
  5. ...*needs a new job*... Maybe one day, I could have a car like these..... ....or perhaps first, I better pass my test Nath.
  6. This sounds good, except, what stops them from changing those pictures? Do you have a script in place for copying the wallpapers to the machine? etc.. I just have it "from the network" which gives the old "distorted picture" effect sometimes - not sure why, but no matter, as they cant change it hehe Nath Cheers Nath.
  7. Nice Stick it in the Domain Computers policy - Start Up script - will that do? vb script i assume? Can you edit your post and put the code in code tags for readability for others if ya would pls? Thx Nath.
  8. sounds good, but i guess it dont help still when you have to install the printer driver manually first then change the port from LPT1 to \\servername\share... Samsung ML-6040 - the only bane of my network printers hehe Nath
  9. yep yep lol [RegionalSettings] LanguageGroup=1 SystemLocale=00000809 UserLocale=00000809 InputLocale=0809:00000809 always gave me the location as US but i couldnt find how to change that, so I reverted back to: [RegionalSettings] LanguageGroup=1 Language=00000809 I think [he wrote without even looking]. Nath.
  10. I know it aint but had to ask hehe Im sure your right because when i migrated from the old NT 4 Server to the new 2003 server [two different machines], I physically moved the HDD from one to the other and exported the share list from the registry and I had things like unknown acount and stuff on there security tab of the files Just imported the share [after giving the partition the same name] and it worked nicely Now what about R2? worth it? can i use my old 2003 CALs with it or not? Nath
  11. I presed Submit early on my last post lol theres more there now
  12. Hmmm.... thats what I thought Chris *sighs* Could I promote the Exchange box as the DC, wipe & reinstall the DC, attach to domain and promote back again? Would the promotion copy the shares, and the GP, as well as the AD stuff? I dont plan to remove the other partitions on the DC which contain the homedir folders, resources, teacher share, network applications, etc. so that should help recreate the links - as I can change the drive letters back to what they were after the new install I'd wager. My thoughts are regarding the permissions on the folders - when the C partition is wiped, will the other partitions lose their security info? or should that info still be there when i get 2003 up and running? Nath
  13. Hi all I'm sure i asked this before but I'll try again My DC is like death at the moment and has been ever since the IP range change. Having gone through everything with 8 fine-tooth combs, I think it would be best to wipe it and start fresh.... So.... The question is, what would the best way be? I dont want to go any install all the clients yet again, but at the same time, I dont want any of the current problems to reappear either :S Is there a way I can backup the AD? I can keep export the current shares list from the registry so thats covered i.e. for home dir's etc. Also, backing up the GP would be useful - after spending so long on it, I'd hate to lose it all :S What adverse effect will it have on the Exchange server? Will it die after DC goes, even when the DC is recreated and the same domain [name] is used? I definately dont want to lose all the emails or I'd be strung up hehe The exchange server is on a physically seperate 2003 server btw If this is all easy enough, could I get 2003 R2 and are the client CALs for 2003 usable for 2003 R2 or would i have to buy new ones? [if the latter, then no thanks hehe] Any other thoughts? Nath.
  14. You didnt read my MSFN posting then? BTW If you are using nlite in the process, strip out all the languages & keyboards etc you dont need... might help the regional problem, plus make the build considerably smaller Nath.
  15. @eean You might be able to use my script if you can hold off for a little while - its not 100% finished yet, though it does work I use it with my Buffalo Terastation NAS device, but it would be fine for what you want it for Grab me on messenger if ya want a chat about it sometime Nath.
  16. hehe people should of got it earlier methinks :P Nath.
  17. Yep trying it now too Is the possibility of adding it to WSUS a option? - the client one, the server one aint needed on WSUS i thinks lol If not, can it be made MSI-able or some way to GP it? Don't think i can be bothered to walk around all the machines lol Nath.
  18. @Disease: hehe I mean what I say hardware firewall / vpn / router... http://www.firebox.uk.com/firebox-x500-firewall-p-28.html Its our own firewall - i set it up - and the connection to the county provides the internet and WAN services etc FYI. @Chris: I could create a "Any traffic" link between the IP of the Curiculum DC and the IP of the Admin DC, but maybe that would invite problems hehe I dont think this model does that kind of setup - a vpn link within itself, though the "Any traffic" link would be the equivelent I'd guess I might try that on Thurs [job interview tomorrow]. Cheers Nath.
  19. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5210276.stm Bit of a shocker lol Nath.
  20. SIMS was more of a after-thought really. I'm just trying to elliminate the need for different usernames on different domains, as we have staff that use both curriculum and admin. Not sure quite what i'm looking for, but some sort of comunication would be handy between the two networks I only have opened up http traffic, vnc [tho it only seems to work one way for some reason] and bromcom registration program that only uses a port to comunicate [that was realy easy to do hehe]. Nath
  21. no problemo. Shame I couldn't do this as my job - help the IT staff of the UK via forum, email, & telephone. Any offers please form a nice PM please Nath.
  22. I just love the way they are all [i.e. yahoo and AIM too] promoting voice and video chat - when they've had that for years and years hehe *shouts* bring back Yahoo! Chat [rooms] hehe Those were the days - the arguments were great fun. Some unscrupulous people had to go and spoil it and end up causing it to close *burn them burn them* hehe Nath.
  23. hehe I dont allow any toolbars - just isn't needed here, but good luck. Google listen after a few years hehe And thought they are meant to help to find things quicker - they are a bit slow themselves then hehe [joke to google bot ] Nath.
  24. right-o... best bet would be to give mrforgetful a pm then No prob. Nath.
×
×
  • Create New...