Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. topics merged due to similar discussion - Lock dialog and msgina.dll tarquel.
  2. I have used it - tho not fully - just to tell all machines to use the Always On method which seems to work fine i.e. only the monitor goes off after 20 min and sleep, standby etc are disabled. Not got it to hand but you can use the adm template or it could well be just a registry setting that chooses Always On which may be all you need. Try searching the forum a bit as we have discussed it before on here - at least - i know i have hehe Regards Nath
  3. Ok.... I've got it so that when a staff member uses a laptop, they get a GPO that applies the following: - Application Data & Desktop - redirected to their own local profile - Start Menu - redirected to the All Users Start Menu locally - My Documents - here lies the problem... I've tried redirecting it to local profile. Worked fine of course but then there is no syncronisation with the server hehe If i have it set to use the user home area [cant remember what its called] and i think other options of pointing it to their network share, I get a error message [when not connected] that it cannot find \\srrvername\username$ Like dur hehe but i wonder whats going on lol Any ideas? Nath
  4. The best way would be to make a administrative point on the server, share it [hidden share if needed] and make a mst transform using the resource kit for office 2003. This will then allow you to populate the office setup as you want it, and can make things alot easier - especially if you then add it [as mentioned] as a Group Policy install. Also, in your case, you'll want to set when creating the transform, the option to remove previous versions of office - this will be your best migration and should set everything up nicely. If you need a hand with any of the above, just send me a message on msn - although I might not be able to chat until this evening. Regards Nath
  5. bump bump... Matt - did you ever work out this one? We now have a load of staff laptops here, so I've been setting them up in conjunction with interactive whiteboards & projectors that many of them recieved. My trouble is that they have to be on the network - which is great for deploying ActiveStudio / SmartBoard software etc - but when it comes to taking the laptops offline, there the problem lies. Can anyone suggest the GP settings I should use with the following [rough] idea as to what I want them to do? The staff use roaming profiles so of course, as yet, when they are unattached from the network and they try and log on, it results in a load of error messages, no start menu, etc etc. How can i set it in GP to change this and what settings should be set? Also, I notice that everytime it syncronises, it starts copying every share that has been touched i.e. say if a teacher logs on, not only does it start copying her profile/home dir, it starts copying mine and even - it seems - tries to copy the whole hidden share underneath that user. Any suggestions on being able to only sync the profile and home dir for that user would be welcome - along with ways of setting it to run silently. There was something else, but a nearby pupil has been talking loudly so I've lost my trail of thought lol Cheers Nath
  6. I'd have thought that you should be able to a registry import to do this - in what ever way suits you i.e. batch/vb scrpt, GP, etc.. Regards Nath
  7. no probs hehe I've already downloaded the 9.1 admin [msi] release hehe is installing now - but i do wonder if i need to get drivers for the Serial connection lol [they are old old installs] Cheers Nath
  8. ...so are you all saying dont download 9.5? I've only got 2 or 3 smartboards so I'm not too fussed - whats the easiest version to roll out on the GP guys? Cheers Nath
  9. Fair play guys. Its good when a company listens to its users :) ...now MS, please give out your software for free to the hardworking IT staff in education - on account of their willingness to use your software...... please?..... ah, dang it lol Nath
  10. thought I'd revive this quickly... We've [i've] mentioned it before i think, but is there any recommendations on the Wireless Access Point that can "daisychain" with other wireless access points to form a sort of wifi mesh that will enable me to use laptops wirelessly here? I'm afraid of getting the wrong gear, and this would be a cheap operation so I wouldnt be able to add a new server for this- its just a wifi point or two to start with - then add more as time goes on. Any thoughts to it? EDIT: hecate lol thats similar to what we might want to do in the future lol registration in the sports hall / leisure centre. Nath.
  11. I hear you there chris - thinking of getting some new h/w soon myself in the coming months. PCI-E board. gfx card, cpu & memory shud do it - tho my A-I-W 9800 SE holds up well still lol Been playing The Movies on it and works lovely. My Audigy 2 ZS Plantinum Pro seems wasted on the rig at the moment lol Ahhhhh if only grew on trees.... or sheep *sighs* Nath.
  12. nice one. I got my xbox second hand - the guy had it three months brand new then needed the cash. Got it for £60 at the time with 3 [i think] games, controller, dvd remote, and in mint condition. I only really got it for halo / halo 2 as well lol - good fun but it dont beat halo 1 tho methinks, tho some of the newer features in halo 2 are good. Nath.
  13. tarquel

    EvE Run errors

    do u have the latest vb runtimes installed? 6 sp6 i think they are. again - there is the old "give them a call" idea too ..and let us know what happens etc. Nath
  14. 2 pints is alcoholic verges? lol now who cant handele their ale hmm? ;) ....but anyway... I've pm'ed u drjturner - thx. Nath.
  15. Sweet zombie jesus - all working Thanks to you all for the info [especially Richie]. Fully automated [havent checked to see whether the serial number is populated or not on new installs ...as i havent done one yet] with the resources & help = all deployed through the GP - and the very latest version 2.5.something. I think i may have a pint tonight to celebrate lol ...or better yet - rag puddin' ;) [in-house joke there ] Cheers Nath
  16. yeah - ISScript 9 the driver uses. Its got ISScript 8 installed and I did wonder whether you could have multiple versions running - stupid IS ppl I'll try that then and pray EDIT: So if u changed the product id of a isscript installer to something like: 10000000000000000000000011 for ISScript 11 10000000000000000000000009 for ISScript 09 etc... you could install each one you alter in this fashion correct? [providing those product id's havent been used already that is hehe] Cheers Nath
  17. Tried that but no joy - I'm going to have a play again later on as ppl are going to really moan soon I noticed that it uses ISScript 9 - msi is in the driver package - so I'll try installing that first and see how it goes. I did have 10 installed but confusingly, cant seem to find a Add/Remove Proggy entry :S EDIT: PS If anyone can let me haqve a copy of a edited msi of the driver that is silently installable - preferably the new version of the driver - please PM me [with a URL link to it if poss] so i can hopefully get it installed and crack on with it Cheers Nath
  18. nice one StuartC - i'll give it a try now thx. Nath.
  19. There must be some way to do it though - if i had the time to play i wud but with 12+ boards, laptops, cables, network points, etc to sort out - I'm a tad busy [and thats just since last week lol i've still got a load of other stuff to do *sobs*] btw Did u see my last post on the previous page? I'm really at a loss - cant see what it could be :( Nath.
  20. Richie - how do you get the driver to install the board properly via gpo? - as mine puts it as the wrong device [manual install] so i have to manually change it to the right one. Nath
  21. [i've extracted the driver hehe good old 'temp' folder ;) - editing it now as per above to not require setup i hope] hi again richie - glad your online to keep me from screaming lol... I had ISScript installing through GP which seemed to be installed fine. I tried to install ISScript 10 but that wouldnt install. Some programs seem to need certain versions of it *coughs "prodesktop"* or I'd just try the one version. UPDATE: Just tried installing ISSCript 8 and 10 manually, and they both installed fine. Still get the same message. Hope editing the msi instead will work :S ...what a day..... *cries* Nath.
  22. Sorry... It that happens when trying to install WIWW tool: when trying to register COMCTL32.OCX like you have wrote, I get: Just had a thought - it might require the VB runtimes [downloading VB6SP6B at the moment to try it]. On a different note, I cant get the latest promethean driver [3.0.5] to install on a machine I was just tryiing it on [and it worries me because i've got the same build of xp on alot of machines I need to install it on], I get the error message: I also get a related I've got ActivStudio 2.1.x deployed through the GP on two PC's and it works great, the Resources install worked great too but on the same machine as the above driver problem, it doesnt install for some reason. Its a fairly fresh install with other GP installs that have worked fine, so can anyone think of anything that could be missed that it preventing it from working? Many thanks - my goose is gandered once again hehe Nath.
  23. ....um.... it seems that the Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard doesnt seem to work hehe I've just tried installing it from the link on the wiki, and have even been to the authors page and tried getting it but i get a error message of: Component "COMCTL32.OCX" or one of its dependancies not correctly registered: a file is miss or invalid Any ideas? Cheers Nath
  24. Its the drivers that are annoying me. Theres never a msi version and they keep installing badly - have to go in manually and tell it the right thing from the "pick from the list" style thing. Its been years - cant that be sorted out at some point guys? So, anyone with a stable way to deploy the driver install via GP, including a way to do the fix automatically please let me know as soon as possible as I've installing the software all this week - tho i did manage to get some joy with ActivStudio itself deploying through the network on two of the machines - including resources. Check my direct number in my sig if u can help and leave a message Regards, Nath
  25. @norphy: Sounds about right. I see that sometimes when logging on, it starts to cache other things - one of them being the shared [hidden] drive where *all* the staff's home folders are.... wonder how long that would take lol Do you [or anyone] set the disallowed file extentions when using offline files at all? stop the process from copying back and forth *.zip or *.tmp files for example. I think i will turn off the offline files option on the shares of the server to prevent it mirroring everything on the server lmao @Ric: Yep - but alas when I disconnect the lan cable or try and log on without the cable in, I get the error messages that it cannot load the desktop, app data, [roaming profile]... etc. Have I forgotten to change another setting here or something? Cheers Nath
×
×
  • Create New...