Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. Just remember to get your P45 out if the wall falls down after drilling [thus the reason why i dont drill walls here] Nath.
  2. NT exchange? How does 5.5 fit in the picture? [im afraid I dont have it] Did you have to use 2000 as a stepping stone? cant you just go directly to 2003? Just a few questions I'm thinking while thinking of doing some thinking.... *sighs* [Excuse me - I'm just a little tired and very very hot!] Nath.
  3. because its free for a school if a teacher does training cert - which is like minimal cost. http://www.cadinschools.org/page.php?m=70#howto [use the links at the top of that article - pdf's explaining the process] I've found out why alot of us are kind of in the dark when it comes to support. In my case, its due to the teacher not filling in something that completes the certification, which in turn means that they wont recieve updates etc. Regards Nath
  4. Just to revive an old topic here.... Is there anyway do use orca do to this - as i cant seem to get wininstall and the nai to work. Cheers Nath
  5. Hmmm a tricky one. Could you change your own thread title to something more appropriate please? hehe I would but my brain isn't firing on all cylinders at the moment. Partition Magic wont work [as will none of their products currently they told me] so have a looky at Acronis Disk Director Server [remember the server version - as the other wont work]. It's very similar to Partition Magic and works well. Price tag isn't too bad either- around about £300 as i recall.... as usual though, we couldn't afford it here Cheers Nath
  6. Theres a 14 day trial on this months PC Zone mag just so ya all know. Cheers Nath
  7. I like the poll questions....lol "i dont have a 360 yet" - shouldnt that be "why would i want a 360?" hehe *fight fight fight* Only kiddin', but that MS is doing a complete cash-in really here.... after all, its nice to play the games of old - but i wudn't like to buy them again [when i still own them anyhow lol] Cheers Nath
  8. /prodded I'll stick the pictures either here or somewhere of peoples choosing later... Feel free to PM me too. Nath.
  9. ...even to a different HDD, wipe the server and cleanly install, then put the home directories back? If so, thats good I need to do the above, tho its all backed up using robocopy and script which i've created from a simple script [thx mark ]. I use that for backing up the pupil/staff home dirs... sorry - i digress Nath
  10. Managed to get it working.... Tried CMDOW but no joy... script didnt seem to run or anything. Just been tweaking things and connecting via X seems to have done the trick - along with a few tweaks to the syntax of the script I can live with the other error hehe The script is normally hidden from view when run anyhow [GP assigned remember]. Thanks for the input ppl. Nath.
  11. ah ha - that could be the answer gents, as I dont think i used the mapped drive until i saw the moaning CMD error and thought it might be that. I'll report back asap...
  12. I think i have a mixture of both [as i recall without checking]... In case you were having probs with new printers appearing: If it doesnt appear, then restart the PMP services and the printer spool, and if that fails, restart the server [like with everything hehe ] Nath
  13. @ECHO OFF REM ECHO _ ECHO. >> \\\$\test.log ECHO -START- %DATE% - %TIME% - SYNCING LAPTOP START MENU for %USERNAME% - >> \\\$\test.log REM ECHO __ ECHO -STAGE1- %DATE% - %TIME% - connection to server - >> \\\$\test.log net use Z: \\\$\Pre2k\Staff\Laptop /PERSISTENT:NO REM ECHO ___ ECHO -STAGE2- %DATE% - %TIME% - COPYING START MENU TO LOCAL PROFILE - >> \\\$\test.log robocopy "Z:\Start Menu" "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu" *.* /E /Z /NDL /NFL /NJH /LOG+:\\\$\test.log REM ECHO ____ ECHO -STAGE3- %DATE% - %TIME% - dis-connecting from server - >> \\\$\test.log net use Z: /DELETE REM ECHO _____ ECHO -COMPLETE- %DATE% - %TIME% - Process over for %USERNAME% - >> \\\$\test.log no laughing in the back now As you can see, its a very simple script and the crazy thing is that even if you have a script of "echo hello world" and nothing else, you still get the CMD error thing. Is there something else that i'm forgetting with this? permissions or something perhaps? As it appears to be doing the same thing [above in the other post] for all the other laptops, i reckon ppl are gonna get narky real quick. I already had the /persistant:no and a /delete after the job is done [not new at batch script writing - tho i dont get too complicated if i can help it hehe]. Any thoughts would be very welcome. Nath.
  14. um..... kinda lost now guys Discovered that it is happening on other laptops also. I've tried replacing the xcopy command with a robocopy method too, but the result is the same... instead of copying the start menu from the mapped share at Z:, it copies the My Documents folder [or possibly the networked home dir [H:] that My Documents is redirected too on desktop pc's] into the start menu instead... Not too fussed about the error message - just cant get the thing to work. Any one want to see the crappy script? Nath
  15. As did i when u mentioned it hehe Just tried a script consisting of just what you have there and removed the other one from logon. Exactly the same result with the error message. "on the others"? The rest of the commands are executing fine - its just the error message and in turn, doesnt perform what it is meant to for some reason. The log in script applies to user who is a member of the domain staff group and is logging onto a laptop. The script is attached to the user config of the GPO - so that it executes when they logon [basically for ease of use to the user - if it was computer based, they'd have to restart should they need a 'start menu refresh']. It was working for at least two other users [that i have seen] and reportedly working fine for others - just this one laptop it doesnt work on and i notice this message. I tried on my staff user and does the same as it does on the user of the laptop. Any ideas? Nath
  16. Dont think so. Its the simplest script ever. the only comands in it are xcopy, net use, and echo. there are a few normal variables - %DATE%, %TIME%, %USERNAME%, %SystemRoot% & %USERPROFILE%. there is one hidden share name in it for the log [as u can see from the snippets above]. And it works fine on every other laptop. Nath
  17. lol but no, that will mean i've wasted money lol Because of course, she wants the £100+ type ones, and I know that its pointless getting it for her. Am I right in thinking that you have to use iTunes in order to transfer music to the iPods? And do they support WMA? hehe Nath
  18. No - it shouldnt, it doesnt usually. Got loadsa scripts with it in. It will just output a blank line [which of course, is a neato way to make a blank line in a log lol] in case u didnt know. [see my edit up above - nothing in the script seems to be upseting it - its just confsing me to hell - why this machine??? /cry hehe] Nath
  19. Thought so while i was replying hehe :P Nath
  20. Tried but no difference Not used a single CD in the script [well, have now to see if any difference but zero difference] Interestingly, I've noticed that it seems to throw up the error straight away in the script i.e.: @ECHO OFF ECHO _ ECHO. >> \\\\test.log Its doing it on the @ECHO OFF - but no idea why, and again, why on this laptop and not others? :S EDIT: Removed @ECHO OFF and still does it, yet all the other commands work fine as intended [as i can see them now ] Nath
  21. netdiag comes up with unknown command [on the client] ipconfig /all - looks nice and peachy Nath.
  22. ....running gpresult currently... EDIT: Everything seemed to be applying fine/as expected [according to the results too]
  23. I'd have thought so yes... DNS? Whats that? I mean its on the domain fine AFAIK and seems to pick up domain / GP changes fine. Whats the command line thingy again i can try from the client machine that does a check on things? [or is that a imaginary one that I've thought up hehe] Nath
  24. As I said: I think its the logging I have in the script - but it doesnt make sense that it works on the other laptops but not this one surely? ECHO. >> \\\\test.log Why one machine and not the other? Nath
  25. Hi all Trying to work out why one machine throws up the error in the following image attachment, while the other laptops work fine. Its a little script that I have assigned to allow Staff users to sync the Start Menu with their local profile on the laptop - and it works a treat for another user/laptop. On this one laptop however [its a fairly new install of XP too on the laptop and is in the OU with the other laptops] I get this error appear and I cant work out why. Its just the first error thats confusing - ignore the rest after "Defaulting to Windows directory". Any one have any thoughts? Trying to get this problem out of the way so I can carry on with a ton of other stuff. Cheers Nath
×
×
  • Create New...