Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. Have you checked on the Windows Volume Mixer [i.e. double click the icon lol] the Advanced settings - if it has any i.e. On that window, Options [top left] and choose/tick Advanced Then (hopefully) you will see the Advanced button appear under the Wave or Master Volume slider and in there there might be a boost in their - much like the mic ones. Have you checked Sounds and Audio Devices applet in the Control Panel too? As there can be options/sliders in there sometimes that differ to the icon in the systray. Fiddling with the Speaker Settings might produce results. Also, uninstalling the driver and getting the latest one [or just a reinstall might help as if its something like a soundmax or one that has its own cpanel, you can sometimes alter options there that you cant alter anywhere else i.e. like Gain, EQ, etc, and now that icon may have been disabled which means sometimes, its a bigger PITA to find the soundcard's cpanel, than reinstalling the driver. Phew..... thats enough to bore anyone on a friday.... Hope it helps Nath
  2. ...and if you have SA on your XP Vol licenses, you should probably get it around then too Nath.
  3. Any MS guide on that steve? I noticed it earlier on today [the new quota thing in R2] but was reluctant to "play" with it hehe Nath.
  4. Already a thread on this people... locking topic...
  5. Well.... here's an amusing twist to things.... Walked into work this morning all geared up for getting the Exchange bax sorted. Said to the ICT Co-ordinator "well i guess i better crack on in fixing the email box then!?" and he says "Why? its working fine" ...... So then he loads up OWA and logs in and voila - up it comes. I nearly passed out I think hehe So went to my room and looked at the server, and sure enough, all the services were working as god intended [god being me in this scenario lol] I was so chuffled.... then the fun began as the internet wasn't working [turns out to be me not reconfiguring dns fully the other day i.e. forwarding requests to the LEA's DNS servers hehe] and then some one deleting all of someone elses work - very pointless considering how my backup system is very good these days hehe We of course know who it is, but how do you prove it eh? lol All sorted now so i can relax and carry on configuring this new site's DC.... somehow hehe Regards Nath.
  6. Exactly, which is why I dont think that will work - as ive tried all sorts of basic stuff to try and get them to come on... but they refuse. Lord_Edam... I'll have a look first thing and dig out the error in Event Viewer, but its something along the lines of not being able to determine what site its in thus it fails to start the main Exchange service [cant remember what its called] - thus the others in turn dont start. You may have the answer right there [hopefully] lol Thats what I was thinking If its as simple as that then it should be good. I dont remember seeing any error messages relating to problems with the database & not being shut down cleanly. EMS seems happy enough too - dont see any error messages in that, except for obvious ones when you click on certain sections in it that, of course, tell you that that the service isn't running so you cant look at that section. Havent been able to find a distinctive guide regarding backing up everything [on msexchange.org] so I guess I'll just have to try it. Any more thoughts are welcome of course. Nath.
  7. Quite true, which [tho not at work] I use multiple ASW [anti-spyware hehe] products at home & on every computer i look at / fix / setup. Quite ironic when u consider that having multiple AV products is bad So long as theres the adm u mentioned, it sounds good - ill try it soonish - but spyware problems have ceased since we made the county aware of them and they updated/canged their filtering software accordingly. Nath.
  8. ...thanks to the addition of the extra site. Although I dont have it here at home, one of the error codes in the Event Viewer refers to not being in a site. According to one snip of info I obtained, when installing/using Exchange on a single site domain, it just uses that site, but for some confusing reason, when an additional site is added to a domain, it "doesn't know what to be in anymore". Question is, how do I tell it to be in one of these sites? Until I can get it in a site, i can't restart the exchange related services, and thus, exchange doesnt work. Any ideas? Something i need to change outside of exchange possibly? *coughs DNS lol* Is there a good procedure to backing up everything in exchange, in order to uninstall it and then install it again, and put the storage folders back etc? Cheers Nath
  9. Just to clarify a little further, Ric is refering to Cubase SX3 and Plexer is refering to SE3. There is currently 2 updates for SX3 and 1 update for SE3. You need a usb dongle per machine physically installed on the machine in order to run Cubase SX/SE otherwise it wont run... until its plugged in And group policy would be fun, considering its a fairly huge product and now only comes on a DVD-ROM :S hehe Also, just to nag hehe, start a new thread regarding Sibielus, as its a different product Cheers Nath.
  10. Hooray....Well....some success anyhow.... Seemed to have managed to restore the Virtual Directories back on IIS from that config file.... Just can't get the services to come back on for Exchange.... Nath.
  11. Just a thought, but couldn't you buy Srv 2003 [R2] for the new hardware? NT to 2003 was pretty painless, so 2000 should be easier ....um....right? lol Nath.
  12. Here we go... *readies himself for a loooong morning* hehe Thanks guys for the thoughts.... The first thing i did was put the site name back to First-Default-Site but didn't seem to make any differenece You don't think it was R2's upgrade to the server, namely, the Application Role when I upgraded it? I'm going to try restoring the config backup i made during the Virtual Directories recreation and see how that goes. Also, after leaving the RAID supposedly rebuild fine last night, on a reboot.... OS not found Note to self "never install a RAID driver in windows - especially not one that might decide to play with your RAID setup without asking you" So there goes the new DC.... didn't take long to setup, but I wonder how that effects the AD and stuff... Do I just delete it from the AD? Nath.
  13. ...and then bad things happened.... Exchange 2003 died. Whether it was the R2 upgrade on the server, or whether it was from follow a MS guide relating to using the AD Sites and Services tool [where it mentions renaming the Default-First-Site] I'm not sure. When I tried having a stab at the problem and following another MS guide [regarding Recreating the Virtual Directories of Exchange] which then made things worse... And then to to it all, a driver decided to seperate the RAID back into two seperate drives again within Windows [somehow] so thats spoilt things. Thanks Teth for giving me a hand with the sites & IP ranges etc.... shame everything else fell apart hehe Its gonna be a looooong morning Nath.
  14. Thats pretty much the plan.... Good bye roaming profiles I think lol Nath.
  15. Right..... So far I've: - Updated the schema on the AD for Srv 2003 R2 features - Added the Music Room DC to the domain - Added the Domain Controller role to the server - Setup a site in Active Directory Sites and Services as per the guide here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/activedirectory/stepbystep/adsrv.mspx [i've even excluded lesson times from the replication schedule to minimise the chance of the wifi link going down - smart ass thinking there.... I hope lol] - Moved the new DC to the site and setup a new subnet in the Subnet section 10.0.1.0 / 255.255.255.0 My next question is...um....what do i do now? lol Do I change the server's IP address from an address on the 10.0.0.x range to this new subnet range? Do I need to setup the DNS Role on this server too? Any more thoughts to this multiple site thing would be handy.... I'm getting there tho Cheers very muchly Nath
  16. Might have something to do with this: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/win32/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%202.0.exe [the US one] ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/win32/en-GB/Firefox%20Setup%202.0.exe [GB one] ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/win32 [Other languages] I cant get it at the moment.... "too many connected users" lol Cheers Nath
  17. Thanks djm968 & k-strider for all your info. I'm gonna have to leave it for now sorry. I dont want to rush it - plus I have to setup this new server which any insight from you would be very welcome at the moment. The thread is: http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4612 If you have a moment to look at it and suggest the quickest and easiest course, please do. And feel free to grab me on msn if you want to explain something hehe *heads off to Google to look up info*.... Many thanks Nath
  18. Thanks for the reply... lemme break it up a bit... I've removed the DNS and installed it again, plus I've also removed *all* the entries from it as well - so unless I'm blind, I cant see it there. Well, the change of IP range & "slug" problem [hehe] was about a year before I setup the Exchange 2k3 server so it isn't that. And no, I've never tried anything remotely like that with the Exchange server. It was just a very simple setup on a new 2003 SP1 server FYI. The schema update kinda threw up probs with the 98 clients but that was a different matter hehe um.... I know... have done a old NT4 domain > 2003 new domain setup [with a move of HDD with the homedirs on them so yep, I know that one - thus why I ask about the shares, because with the NT4 exported shares brought into the 2003 server back then, it worked great hehe [after I used the ADMT tool of course hehe] rebuilding the DC - AD, DHCP, DNS, FileServer - is what I'm after. The easiest and quickest method, but as the LEA have kind of delayed me, I'm not going to get around to it. ...and it isn't something i probably want to rush in a single day either i guess lol Cheers Nath
  19. Ok... See what you think of this. From what everyone has said in the previous posts, the easiest option would be to use the "swing" method and would seem to be the quickest method of seeing whether it helps things or not. So this is the stage I've got to so far: I have cleaned up the DC as much as possible and its pretty happy [so far]. I've updated the schema [for R2 when i get the product key from the lea or MS hehe] and thats all happy. The server with Exchange 2003 SP2 is all happy and all MS updates have been placed on both servers. The new server [that will be going to the Music room and is mentioned in a different thread - ill link it later] is currently installing 2003 SP1. Could I use this new server by attaching it to the domain and setting it as the DC? If so, and once that has been done, is it just a matter of: - exporting the shares [from within the registry] - exporting the Group Policies using the GPMC tool - removing the old DC from the domain - erasing the C drive - installing 2003 SP1 again - attaching to the domain - premoting it again - importing the shares reg file - importing the group policies using the GPMC Have I missed anything there? Can I do the above in a day? [as i've only got tomorrow left and I've got to configure the new server - as mentioned in the other thread] Cheers Nath
  20. Well... I change the IP range from one range - that was sort of governed by the LEA, to a private LAN range [10.0...]. The DC took the changes and i had to erase and reinstall each computer in the end hehe but it worked lol The only problem is that the DC seems really sluggish ever since. I deleted and reinstalled the AD / DNS more times than I care to imagine but no success with the laggy feel to the servers - and the Hardware Firewall logs show the IP addresses still trying to do stuff... its all very confusing hehe but moving on......
  21. Are you doing it some hard manual way then? I've got it down to a tee really now - gimme a shout on MSN if u want some helpful methods of doing it - wud help u alot i think All our staff laptops are generally plugged into the network from day to day i.e. various reasons for that, so they never really miss them [except over a holiday period lol but WSUS sorts 'um straight when they get back hehe]. I was thinking about making a tool like that too NetworkGeezer that allowed you to click a button that read "Home" and "work" Cheers Nath.
  22. hehe You must have a good 6th form [only joking to ours ] Nath
  23. tarquel

    Guild Wars?

    @apeo: Yeah - noticed the favour thing last night when i loaded GW up again, after not playing it for a while. And like griffin says - WoW [or Final Fantasy Online - shameless plug here lol] is only ~9 a month. Not bad if u have time to play games - which u should do, need to relax right guys? lol @DaveT: If you mean Factions, then no you dont need to buy it in order to play the original still. The same as when they release Nihtfall in about 7 days, you wont need this to play the original. You of course cant play Factions or Nightfall without buying them, but they are free to play afterwards and although they install together i.e. 'one client to bind them all' lol - they are seperate games as such i beleive Oooh printer jam later Nath.
  24. Nice one there I cant wait til i can get around to this R2 update Finding BitComet [P2P proggy] in a pupils user who just laughed at me when i had him was not enjoyable.... touche [when i get R2 sorted hehe] Nath.
  25. I'm also interested in hearing any thoughts on this too.... Cost-wise, is it a good idea or not? Anyone with any experience care to lend their thoughts? Ta, Nath
×
×
  • Create New...