Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. Do you mean something that "doesnt" exit the internal network? or a voice / video / messaging system like matt suggests? Nath.
  2. You do know this thread is over a year old? lol Nath
  3. tarquel

    32 or 64bit 2003?

    Really? Thats one to add to my "easily-wipable-cache" in my brain for later use Standalone Exchange 2k7 server it is! Nath.
  4. cached = i.e. after the user logs off of the network, the profile is left behind on the client I assume he means Basically, with no folder redirection or roaming/mand profiles, it just takes the default profile off of the computer but leaves it there when they log off. I only have roaming profiles disabled for laptop users - and only because the staff use them off of the network. Nath.
  5. I'd hope they have learnt from their previous mistakes then :S I'm still weighing up the lifetime subscription [100 big ones] as at least its bought etc then. Been playing and will continue to play Final Fantasy Online, but I dont really want two MMO subscriptions taking place. FF online is only a fiver a month presently which is great - good ol' exchange rate to thank there i think - but if i was to pay 6-monthly on LOTRO, it would be £35 each 6 months, and still dont yet know what the normal per month amount is lol so i'm trying to find the time to play the game and see whether I'm going to want to play it. I guess the beauty of the lifetime subscription is that once you've got it, theres no pressure to play the game really. Having played FF online for 3.5-ish years, i wish I'd had a opportunaty to buy a lifetime subscription for that - wud have been a hell of a saving Regards Nath.
  6. There is / was a tool to block SP2 for Server 2003.... I dont have it to hand though Please keep RIS / WDS discussion on this thread to a minimum as there are threads for this already. SP2 didn't install properly for me the first time but it didnt mess the server up [thankfully as it was the DC lol] but removed itself and told me that it couldnt. I went on a fixing spree and cleaned off all programs that werent fundimental to the operation of the DC - i.e. some HP tools, PMP, etc etc - and it did it the second time around. Regards Nath
  7. I'd vote for that lol In fact, perhaps a vote of the month should be started on 'ere lol But anyhow.... I cant quite remember what server i'm on - but it is the EN-RP one The interesting one is on this game that you can create up to 5 different characters per server/world. No idea yet how they all vary but the night is young as they say. Geoff, I'll catch you later on MSN [plus no point of pre-ordering now that it is out lol]. Nath.
  8. Hi all Just wondering if any of you are playing Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar: http://www.lotro-europe.com/index.php I pre-ordered it to give it a try, having just missed out on the beta [it closed the same day as i signed up typically lol I was just too slow lol], so I got the early access key [meaning i cud download the client and get started]. If any of you are playing or interested in playing it, gimme a shout so we can team up. From what I've seen so far, i like it. Its got a Neverwinter Nights [1] feel to it but better - and its middle earth - and its a MMO! Anyhow... work to do.. Later Nath.
  9. robocopy is what I use... let me go have a look at my differential log to see how long it took *wanders off.....and comes back* right... it really does depend on the equipment u have & how much data changes each day etc., but mine shows me that it took just over 2 hrs to copy 17.8G of data, which I guess isnt amazing but it is trawling through everything it finds - including stuff that access is denied on I guess. Seems like people here do a lot of work lol - 17.8G changed in one day! not bad for a small school like this one lol Regards Nath.
  10. aye... easily done [Locking topic - PM if a reopen is needed] Regards Nath.
  11. Have you taken ownership of the file / folders in question? That would be the way to change the permissions on the old files if you cant normally. Cheers Nath
  12. So is having all the data from all the drives and the systemstate enough to do a complete restore then? I've never been 100% on it - never had the time to look I guess Well, anyway, as far as the software goes, I've had a quote for Symantec Backup Exec 11d for what we have, and it came to about a grand, so along with the deputy / ict co saying No to the software purchase before I had got the quote, and the head who previously said yes, but now knows that its gonna be more than a few hundred... I'll guess I'll have to continue to fiddle with my ntbackup scripts.... mrforgetful's idea seems most logical now.... 40GB external HDDs must be cheap yes? buy five and rotate them each day for overnight backup - and if small enough I can keep them in my small fireproof safe. Just a shame to waste the tape drives in both servers. If we had a external HDD system going, then I could still use the tape every term to run a backup I think. EDIT: A quick look reveals this: http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=FRC27028&nbs_search=lang%3Den-gb%26C%3D112%26S%3D400068%26K%3D%26M%3D%26SB%3Dplh The HDD in the server is only a 36GB SCSI so should be ok with a 40GB? [single backup on each drive] Hope you are following this, because I'm not sure I am now lol Ta. Nath
  13. No doubt, RS will have that in hand soon contink But how how how do you get pxe booting to work? See the other thread for more info of how its not working for some [me hehe] but I just cant get the client machines to pxe boot any more Have ticked and checked all the seemingly obvious things, but nothing prevails Regards Nath
  14. I use psshutdown to do this - along with DHCP & reserved IPs, you can use the computer to shut them down and turn them on at scheduled times. Works fine for me generally. Let me know if u need assistance with it. Nath.
  15. Good stuff But can anyone answer my questions in my earlier post about whether it can do the things I list? Cheers Nath.
  16. For me, it seems to be so :( Can't manage to PXE boot [both the tick boxes are checked under the DHCP tab in the settings for this server - as its on the same server as DHCP]. tosca - could you care to elaborate on what you said on the last page... how did you get your client machines to pxe boot? The file doesnt seem to exist [boot\x86\pxeboot.com] and under the directory reminst\Boot\x86, the file doesnt exist either [tried using wdsnbp.com, but clutching straws here ] I'll be making a how-to on all this, but i'll need a hand getting off the ground with my own installation first lol Cheers Nath
  17. I've tried a interesting approach... and I'll let you know if it pans out contink - knew i recognised your handle on RS's forum Nath
  18. That covers the backup of data but what about disaster recovery? Or are you using something like Backup Exec to backup the data / image onto those HDDs? Thats something i didnt mention, but it would be good if the said software enables you to make a set of backup tapes to restore the server fully - AD & everything, although I imagine we arent that lucky lol I have about 35GB of pupil data and about 30GB of staff usage [need to grill the staff considering there is less than 30 of them lol]. The admin server only has about ~20GB of data needing to be backed up. Actual system [windows, apps installed, network shared apps, etc] and pupil/staff data/work in total, I probably have about 100GB on the curriculum and ~30GB on the admin. Not much to whack onto external drives and store, but if i can get something I can use to backup the whole lot periodically, that would be so much better. Nath
  19. Sorry to hijack this one, but the topic is exactly what I'm thinking lol We just had a report back that tells us that our backup strategy is not good enough, so muggin's is gonna have to do some more work on the backup [...i got told that I could lose my job if i dont lol] So, after having large headaches with trying to get ntbackup and scripts to use any tape in the drive and failing miserably, I was thinking that the best way would be to get some decent software and be done with it. So the Backup Exec 10d you are refering to is Symantec's Backup Exec correct? I'm look at these here - http://uk.insight.com/apps/nbs/index.php?C=111&S=101394&lang=en-gb&M=&OK=&K=exec&SB=plh&P=1 - but knowing exactly which one is the tricky part. Let me describe what I have and what I need it to do, then perhaps you guys can suggest what I'll need I have two networks - one with a DC/FS that has a HP DAT72i [takes 36GB tapes], and the other network has a DC/FS and a seperate Exchange 2l3 server, along with another server that replicates the AD, and will be a FS for a particular department. I guess I am looking at 2 seperate copies of the software here then. Off the top of my head, I need it to be able to do the following: - Use the tape drive in the machine [dur ] - Use *ANY* tape provided - this has been the biggest problem with NTBackup with having to have the exact same one each time that job is run - Backup files "as is" to a external drive / share - If possible, a way to backup the Exchange mailboxes / data - Possibly replace my robocopy script that incrementally backs up the user files to a NAS drive I wouldnt need any of this [minus the NAS box] if it wasnt for the "if there was a fire" aspect so I'm thinking of a periodic offsite backup tape that I could run every month say. Basically, I want to be able to not have to worry about whether the software can do the tasks 'xyz' that I want it to do. Is Backup Exec [11 is the latest now] the one for the job, or am I looking at a different product? A Acronis package maybe? Any suggestions on this would be appreciated as i need to move fast on this Regards Nath
  20. I know this isn't much help but have you tried using a kixtart script instead to map your printers on logon? The managability makes it so easy to use... If you would like, I could send you mine as an example, and then all you would need to do is call the kixtart script into the logon.bat like this: \\yourlogonserver\NETLOGON\kix32.exe \\yourlogonserver\NETLOGON\theprinterscript.kix While the scripting language can do all sorts, I only use it for printer driver installation and port assigning during logon. http://www.kixtart.org Commands like http://www.kixtart.org/index.asp?p=commandRef#_Toc146265719 are what you would need, but if it looks all to confusing, I can post up or PM you my script as an example. Regards Nath.
  21. molesm - I turned my Quota's off in R2 and went back to good old NTFS quota's Mainly as it took forever to bring up the quota list [i.e. incase i needed to give a quick adjust to a quota etc] whereas the NTFS system is very quick and did the job. Once i get the funds to "beef up" the server some more - it has a lot to do I guess - I'll try it again. Wish I could help with what options to switch on, but I thought that the reporting side of things was broken on it until a recent fix. I say this mainly as I've had it set to email myself with reports on the file retention filtering which just suddenly one day started happening. And that was after a few WSUS-given updates so make sure your server's are fully patched too Regards Nath.
  22. Quite right. done Whether people should change default passwords or not, it's one I've seen in alot of things, and people are imperfect so accidentally leaving a default password can happen. Nath.
  23. Best way is using Windows Server 2003 R2 gecko, using the File Server Resource Manager > File Screening Management Its so easy even *I* can do it Nath.
  24. Can't you just log into the website and get / request the product key's for your chosen selections? Of course, this is dependant on what volume licensing you have naturally lol I would assume that the school's agreement wouldnt be any different to a select agreement in this case - just a different website no doubt [we dont have either... yet]. Nath.
  25. I can't remember.... Do you use Roaming Profiles? Because the user wont be able to log on / use programs if they are not connected to the network if you are using RP. I had this problem here, and ended up having to remove the profile path / roaming profile from the staff users in question, and managed to configure AD so that if the staff log into a normal workstation, they use the profile directories on the server, but if they log onto a laptop, they use the local laptop's default profile. Of course, disabling the setting to remove local profile after log off is a handy idea for the laptops too Nath.
×
×
  • Create New...