Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. We dont have the cash or it would be ProCurves all the way for me [Have ProCurves in key places] The cheapest 48-port ProCurve is over double the price of the Netgear one. I'm all for Procurves where possible, but no management is really needed for this switch - just needs to work thats all hehe Nath.
  2. Hi guys Found out this morning that the 2 identical Dynamode "£30" switches we had in one of the computer room's had finally given up on life. Turning them off and back on again provides no joy whatsoever, and the clients just cant get anything through to the other side of them. With there being nothing to reset on them other that power off and on, I thought it not worth it, and I started looking at a relatively cheap [compared to them] switch to replace the both of them. I was looking at the NETGEAR ProSafe FS752TS Smart Switch which has 48 10/100 ports, 4 10/100/1000 ports and 2 SFP (mini-GBIC) style ports for just over £200. Anyone got one of these and does it seem a good plan? The machines in the room arent amazingly fast and the bottleneck of the 10/100 is irrelevent as the DC / FS has only a single 10/100/1000 card in it hehe Would be nice to pipe a 1G connection to that room now though. Any thoughts welcome, but i need to order it sharpish. The computer rooms are used pretty much continually so cant have it out of action for too long. Regards Nath.
  3. Looks like new jobs are in the air at the moment for some :D [ http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9325 ] *pulls out a virtual party* :D Nath.
  4. Hi all I'm moving on to, hopefully better things, so here's my job for the taking. Get in quick as they want to appoint someone sharpish UPDATE: There is a advert on eteach now - http://www.eteach.com/Job.aspx?VacNo=227806&Page=1 Cheers Nath.
  5. So you are going through a proxy to connect to another WSUS server? In either case, is the other WSUS server a WSUS 3.0 server i.e. exactly same version, as I imagine it not working if it isn't Nath.
  6. tarquel

    Visual basic 6

    Unless you specifically want version 6, and I know why you might hehe, you can get Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition for free: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/ Its a big ol' install tho Nath.
  7. Not using Media Player. Yep... Media Player Classic here [and Power DVD on those lucky machines that it came with ]. And yes, making the only active output as the one the projector is on [on dual output machines i.e. laptops] is usually a good bet. Nath.
  8. I got one once... and never again. Was just too poor of a output. Think the powered ones I get / got are about £30 from Insight. Nath.
  9. tarquel

    Wii

    Looked like a typical Mario cash in to me... or is it actually good? I got the Sonic game and was pretty disappointed. Nath.
  10. Hi all If you have a Wii, then you have a Wii number that you can view in the create a message section. You can then add other consoles [they have to do the same back] as friends. My Wii number is: [will have to check when i get home ] Feel free to add me and post yours Nath.
  11. tarquel

    Wii

    Yes.. your arm will get used to the exercise tho eventually lol Probably going to have a [drunken] marathon of tennis this weekend - helping work off the calories while putting them on, and getting lsahed at the same time... great fun Just have to be light-footed having "old" neighbours below me. Any houses going in my area please send a SAE to the usual.... Nath.
  12. Are there any cons to that tho geoff? Nath.
  13. When you say routers, do they have firewall in them and is it on? That *may* have something to do with it. Also, and i know it sounds stupid, but have you got the encryption settings right for the wifi? i.e. WPA-PSK etc. Nath.
  14. I *may* be able to help u with one of them.... Though it isn't mine so I cant be 100% whether he'll let u have it. Nath.
  15. Whada ya mean? Its fun.... *goes to check the server uptime* basically, since I set it up this year. Not bad, and zero restarts :D Would have gone down the VPS side of things, but for the money vs power etc., it wasnt worth it. Needless to say this tho, but not anyone can run a managed server - so be very careful in trying before thinking. too. BTW thats in a personal sense... not for the school itself - we have county provided webspace for that Oooops.... g2g.... food just dont cook itself either *doh!* Regards Nath
  16. AFAIK I think we have enough mods at the moment but thanks. Nath.
  17. pete - it can be achieved with a bit of effort without using laptops. Glass fronted TFT [if you really want more space] and computers located in a remote location [i use new cupboard's which I modify] as the cost of "special" desks are crazy money. Extention cables and the like are useful, but if you have the money to, then use an "extender" type device on each system, that uses a humble cat5e cable for all the data transference i.e. KVM + audio Can show u all [and have been meaning to for ages] pictures if needed. And has definately been worth it - mainly down to kids being less able to tamper with equipment. Nath.
  18. brown hair tired back - not too long. Midlands accent - not too strong tho. Tall woman [well... taller than me but most ppl are I am *the* shortass of the town heh] ... nice tan. I'll leave the details at that lol But anyway... can anyone answer the above questions? Nath.
  19. Hi all Trying to work out where I can get a slimline 80mm case fan from. When I say slimline, the depth of it is about 1.5cm. All standard ones are 2.5cm and I've only found a 2cm which may be enough but until i get one, I cant tell. So if anyone happens to know where to get these from, please let me know. FYI... In the Shuttle machine in question, it extracts the air out of the back of the unit [sucking both the hot air from the adjacent heatsink next to it, along with the hot air from within the machine]. Thanks. Nath.
  20. tarquel

    Halo 2 FTW

    To cheat is to say "I suck...I need help to beat other people / the game". I'd never, ever, ever cheat in a online first person shooter game. People who do need to get better or get a game they are good at lol Nath.
  21. I've got it installed on mine with SP2 on it ok. Can't remember which way around I did it, but of course unless you install the MS report viewer, MMC 3.0, etc etc., it wont install either way. Have you tried uninstalling the service pack, installing WSUS 3.0, and then putting the service pack back on again? Nath.
  22. Just had a very lovely lady turn up to our school today from Schooltrends. I'm fairly impressed [no - not on about her now *rolls eyes*] but I cant help but think that she was promising to much in the speel [i'm sure that ain't spelt right either but there we go]. A few things tho - that need answering quickly Can it intergrate with e-registration systems such as Bromcom for example? She didnt really answer it, but what assurances do you have for privacy and the safety of the data of the pupils [given the single sign in aspect that she talked about]? How much of this is down to the end users with regards to layout and stuff? At what point would the helpdesk team say "sorry - that is up to you to set up"? And, quite a evil one here but can you really provide any sort of bilingual system? as without it, you are very much less likely to get a sale in alot of welsh/bilingual schools. And is the lady who's name I didnt get single? [rhetorical of course - my partner *will* kill me lol] Nath.
  23. timbo - is your Exchange box, a replicating DC also?! Nath.
  24. Downloading... [good work ZH ] Nath
  25. tarquel

    Starcraft 2!!!

    Call me crazy, but perhaps thats why you havent played the game nes pa? lmfao Nath.
×
×
  • Create New...