Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. I dont get that with psshutdown and the same method i.e. script The only time it doesnt shut them down is if the logoff of a user has stuck... At least, I dont know of any times when it hasnt shutdown / restarted. Cheers Nath.
  2. Right-o - was just wondering as I've got the Media sitting here in front of me and we've ordered for licenses [with SA too] so I did wonder. Now I have to wonder whether PMP will still work on R2 :S :S Nath
  3. lmao I was waiting for that one - and u did it soooo quick lol and yes, i do get the joke Nath.
  4. Wow - thats that stuff i was after Teth thanks lol Yep - i do know binary [theres some deep rooted story in my brain from long long ago about binary.... but i cant resurface it at the moment.... stupid brain that I have hehe] and I always wondered whether netmask associates to netmask and such. God i'm dense sometimes lol I'll have to think about it some more I've got a period of a whole 2 days to set all this up btw lol as I'm not allowed term time off and I have the rest of my annual leave to take [have tried swaping a day or to for term time but it aint gonna happen] so shema update, R2 upgrade on the servers & install R2 on the new server and add it to the domain, and somehow setup the sites So long as it dont break anything I *hope* thats enough time lol Nath.
  5. I use a batch script on the DC that runs scheduled and logs to a logfile by date Its just using psshutdown but restarts the computers, not shut them down. I have seperate scripts [shutdown & reboot] that you just add the target computername i.e. scriptname MYPC0101 Let me know if ya need any of them. Cheers Nath
  6. Thanks for that DHCP.... very informative....
  7. Just made a custom IE7 package to try out... You can semi-lock-it-down to some degree so that if you want to give it a try out and while you wait for the adm templates to become available, you can hehe It's how i did it mainly on the old 98 PC's with 5, 5.5 & 6. Cheers Nath
  8. thanks for the explaination... "I was with you all the way up to 'Simply'" [Red Dwarf quote] The current range is 10.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.0 I dont want to change this again - as last time things went all weird lol and gave me alot of hell in the process [still dont realyl know why tho]. Could I just add the music room with the range of 10.0.1.0? I dont fully understand the netmask thing unfortunately tho so if u can suggest the settings - that would be handy The routers / WAP's are using the custom DD-WRT firmware [latest version] that has every feature under the sun lol so routing shudn't be a prob - if i know what to change etc. Cheers Nath
  9. You can get hold of a old PIII 500 ish computer with about 512MB [maybe less] and a 10GB IDE HDD surely? for the setup, you wont even need that spec really but if you can get a few people to pull together, you're bound to find left over and old parts which you could then use with the free software [censornet / smoothwall / etc that is a complete linux packge - just boot the iso and install / configure it ] As much as i'd say go for turning your fileserver from a 2k to a linux box, if you dont know linux, this may make it a little hard on you to configure everything [i.e. all the options and everything working together etc], whereas if u have a seperate box for just the firewall / proxy option, its less work to set up and less to fix if things go wrong. I know how it feels to have no money avaliable but some times there is no option for things to be effective and usable. I have to push alot of times and I dont get all the answers i need Good luck and let us know how it goes Nath
  10. ahhhh.... that sounds about right ajb - but will the setup know where the client logs on to? and thanks geoff - have already read about that [to the degree of updating the schema ] Nath.
  11. Is the R2 printer management tool very good - in the sense of controlling quota's etc? Or will I still need my Print Manager Plus on the system? [that will undoubtedly break as its about a year old now and we didnt / couldnt afford the maintainance fee] Nath.
  12. Don't forget the IEAK of course: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/ie/ieak7/default.mspx I'm going to try installing it on a row of computers during lunch and pop the adm in too quickly... EDIT: ah.... there is no adm yet :oops: ....maybe not then lol nath.
  13. tarquel

    Battlefield 2142

    Seems to be more than just ad's tho according to that article :S I'll wait on this one methinks lol
  14. Have you got a administrative point to group policy deploy ActivStudio 2 PE and/or driver? Both the driver and the software versions you are using are old i.e. driver - 3.0.5 activstudio 2 PE - 2.5.82 I suggest you update them to the latest versions too if you can. If you don't have a administrative point, just run the setup of your CD from the command prompt / run like this: setup /a and when asked for the network location, install it to a folder on a network share that contains the appropriate permissions for GP [if you don't want to GP deploy it, then thats fine but u can still do this to have a up-to-date install point]. I hope my syntax is correct You can then apply the updates [in order] in the same way to update the install point, then away you go Just a quick stab at remembering what i did. HTH Nath
  15. hehe smarty pants As i said in a earlier post tho, the teacher doesn't want them to use the Internet anyhow & as we only have a max of 2M, its hardly going to be a big strain hehe I've got srv 2003 R2 to install/upgrade on all of these 'ere server's too, so I'm wondering where is the best point to add this to the equation. I'm probably gonna leave out the renaming of the forest and/or domain - as its probably going to tempt fate a bit too much, but R2 before the addition of the music room server or after? Cheers Nath.
  16. Exactly what I've been bleating about [ged it ged it?? ;)] The wifi link is ONLY for the replication between server's & for the [minimal] e-reg data. Thus, all one domain with a master DC [in the main building i.e. where it is now lol] and a slave server [in the music room] right? Nath.
  17. Anyone out there? You know you wanna play it - go get it people.... then join "me" on a rather adult [or not so adult as the case may be] clan in FF.... ....yes, its lonely with so few ppl from the UK in the clan i'm in We'll transfer you over to the server i'm on if ya don't manage to end up on my one Cheers Nath
  18. like dur easy peasy with kixtart script and GP anyhoo [note the sarcasm hehe ] Nath
  19. Thanks for the reply... But this is my point - the users won't be using the link if everything is self-contained. The teacher doesn't want them on the Internet and stuff - which is fine by me [we have about a equiv of a 2M line lol] - and they will be saving their work on the file server in the music room. The only usage of the link will be extremely low comunication of a e-reg system - just uses a single port to "talk" on - and anything else is a bonus. To save me the hassle of creating users twice, I thought that I would be able to sync the two domains so that the users can be added to the music room domain without the need to create them all over, but its no big problem if not - the main issue is that if they change the password on one, it wont change on the other etc... I'm interested in the idea of keeping it all one domain and having it so that if you log on to the domain in the music room, the server in there will serve you and if its anywhere else, the main DC will serve you - but i would like it so that you get the home dir on the music room server to be mapped when in there, and as normal in the rest of the school. That make sense? lol I wonder if this is a golden opportunaty to install srv 2003 R2 on everything? hehe [yes, bought the licenses] The DC is slugish anyhow - back to my old problem that someone suggested fixing [in a different thread] by getting another machine, install 2k3, attach and promote, wipe the former DC, install 2k3 again, attach and premote that to DC again. I guess its the only chance i've got to remedy any probs on the DC - but the problem of time to do it is when this lie Think i can do it in about 1-2hrs? hehe ...plus R2 the system, and rename the forest, without losing all the shares & breaking Exchange 2k3 also? Shame i've got no time when the school is off - as i've got the rest of my annual leave to take hehe Nath.
  20. I thought I had replied to this but oh well... here goes again hehe The link from the music block is purely [at the moment] just so that we can use the e-registration system up there - she's had to manually write them for years after we got bromcom because their custom wifi network is out of range hehe. It's also been handy to have the internet up there too, for obvious reasons of updating things etc. As the main use of the machines is Cubase etc., its never been a big problem - but if its going to be linked on the network, then I want to have them all patched up etc [not a problem with my WSUS.... Moving on - I'm digressing here hehe] The music teacher [and me] agree that its better to have the area kept as she's had it - segmented off and self contained - so this is why it needs to have to be a seperate domain as such, so that if the link goes down, both networks dont suffer as a result. Lord_Edam - I have [as far as this thread goes] one domain in the main building with 1 DC [as a fileserver also] and 1 server with Exchange 2003 on it. We dont have anything spare hehe this is why i can never test scenario's / lab test network's - as I'm not privvy to such luxuries hehe MS's plan's make me laugh some times hehe They development teams should ome here I have bought [and should arrive today] a new HP PL ML-150 & 2x 200GB SATA drives which will be nice. If i understood IP ranges properly, I would set up a seperate range in the music room - i'm now slightly baffled tho. What's to stop any machine taking any IP address off this DC from the main network? More of what I've been doing is here: http://www.linksysinfo.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?t=48482 Any more thoughts are welcome Cheers Nath
  21. My god!! Tony knows Welsh too? Is there no end to his talents? Helo pawb [btw incoming topic being merged - dont say I didnt warn you....]
  22. Pay Geoff....Pay? hehe [PS i'm going to merge this with the exact same topic as the other one thats at the top of this board *rolls eyes*] Nath
  23. xampp is a great system BUT remember that it is only designed to be used as a testing server, and NOT as a production server. Alot of security is missing from it, to help with easy of use when testing - so dont use it for live / production sites. Just so you know Nath
  24. I noticed yesterday that it has stopped working on mine as well - and as a result, causes problems... [such as clearing a students roaming profile on the server wont have the desired effect if they log on to a machine that still has a copy of their profile] ...so I'm going to look at it - when i get a chance. As my machines reboot each night, that would be an opportune time for a computer shutdown script to run that clears the profiles. Anyone got one to hand that saves us having to create one? Cheers Nath
  25. doh doh doh and thrice doh... you beat me to the linky again Nath
×
×
  • Create New...