-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
choran - what client are you using? Are you not using Outlook Web Access - easiest way in my opinion You can just type in the name of the person or email alias and click the "Check Names" button and it will suggest the email address automatically, or give you a multiple choice, or tell you flat out it hasnt got a clue hehe It "should" check your contact list too, along with the AD / LDAP directory that the exchange box is connected to for a public list or whatever we call it hehe I didnt even notice the Check Names feature for a month after setting it up lol Cheers
-
Should you use a unmodified XP SP2 for the base image or a customised and/or updated one? and another question is: Can I deploy the image on a target machine, install the drivers and Office and other applications, then send it back to the RIS server as a seperate image? [or somthing like this] The latter is because with our setup, we have different machines and different applications and I dont fully understand whats to do [*points and laughs at himself*]. Severely running out of time now - any help welcome. Nath
-
hmmm... maybe I should quit while I'm behind hehe Any chance of a sample ajb? [all my questions will be worth it in the end I have a plan....] Regards Nath
-
Hi all A little frustrating problem I'm having at the moment is that after choosing either automatic setup or custom setup [and filled in the machine name etc], and start the process off, Windows Setup gives me the following message: and then pressing a key, the system reboots. Now, I've tried a slipstreamed hotfixes image on the RIS system first - obviously said the above. I then tried the AutoRIS tool [which contains broadcom NIC drivers which seemed to be slipstreamed] and updated the image on the RIS server. No luck. Then I used the initial build I used to make the initial image on the RIS server - I nlited it a little [just removing languages and games and some other rubbish] then used the BTS DriverPacks [base, LAN & MassStorage] which has the drivers in it, burnt it onto a CD and made a new image directly on the RIS setup off of that CD. Tried that [tho I didnt get a choice of RIS image to use during custom setup on the client] and it gave me the same message. Just noticed that all the drivers are in the OEM part - I thought that when adding the CD to RIS, it would copy that also :S I'm pretty confused to be honest hehe Can any one shed some light on this particular problem and some mini guide to how to do it? Cheers Nath
-
Nice to have you on board Cheers
-
Topic heading changed to be more descriptive - Nath Having my own share of fun with RIS today hehe
-
Is it freeware/shareware software TechMonkey? If not, please remove that public link please. Cheers Nath.
-
Thats exactly what I have E1uSiV3 but after a install, I get the silly EN symbol and if you go to the "Regional and Language Settings" control applet thingy, at the bottom where it says Location, you get United States oddly. Just checked and the keyboard is fine [uK]. Any thoughts? Nath
-
Providng the clients are 2k/XP, you can do this through group policy, adding the office 2000 adm templates to the GP and configuring it [as Norphy mentions]. Cheers Nath
-
Can someone post theirs? I cant seem to get it to install XP UA without having either the silly EN symbol / language bar at the bottom, or without the Location setting as United States instead of UK [all the other settings are UK but the US one is still there]. Brain just wont work properly lol Any thoughts from your winnt.sif files ppl? Cheers Nath
-
Sorry - forgot to ask you after doing all this, you use that XP CD/build for the base OS installation files that RIS asks for during the initial setup, or should I just use a non-automated XP CD with just SP2 and the hotfixes in it? About to setup RIS shortly so any quick advice on which is fine would be great. Cheers Nath
-
Gotcha anyhow.... Next RIS question please Nath
-
Do you use a slipstreamed source which you then add to RIS then Chris? Thats what I'm working on now quickly - well, updating it a bit since the new updates last Tues, and trying to figure the Media Player bit too. The trouble i would imagine is that if I install it after the hotfixes are installed, the hotfixes wont install as there is no Media player 10 installed. But I might test that theory tho. I use XPCREATE [http://xpcreate.com] to slipstream - works great - and recently tried BTS's DriverPacks [http://www.driverpacks.net] which is awesome. If anyone is interested on this, PM me ad I'll start a new thread and a make a little FAQ up The writer of XPCREATE is probably a guy like us, and in the past year hasnt had a chance to update it or respond on the forum - as he was nice to me in letting me have the comercial version for nothing [when he was doing that side of things] I like to help with it where i can - support wise EDIT: but in the meantime, I've done a nice post here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=66295&view=findpost&p=466404 anyway, sorry to digress [slaps his own hands yet again]. Nath
-
ahhh interesting to know - thanks. In line with that - my latest UA XP CD is fully auto except for in the middle of it when it comes to installing the latest Media player 10 build [MP10setup.exe] it asks whether you want to continue to install it because System Restore is off [its off because windows hasnt finished installing I'd guess]. Any idea whether this would affect the RIS client install and as a side point, any ideas on making it "not" ask that generally when using a UA CD? lol Cheers Nath
-
I could try it anyhow maybe lol Nath
-
winnt.sif by any chance DB? or something along those same lines I'd wager. Better check the ref help thingy of the deploy tools for info on that - cool. Examples would be welcome [to everyone] tho if anyone cares to share Cheers Nath
-
Sounds like a holiday every day in your workplace. Did i tell you that you really need another member of staff? ;) lol /digress Nath.
-
Sorry for the delay - knew this might be a popular topic to start lol I already have reserved IP addresses at the moment - not completely finished all the pc's yet - but its pretty much there. So am I right in thinking that if you create a computer object [named how you want the computer name to be] in the AD - tell it its MAC or GUID - and tick the managed computer bit, then for that particular machine, its just a matter of installing etc? The link I made on the first page touches upon it tho - but not to the depths that we need it for. From what that article says, its a case of providing RIS with the XP Pro installation files, deploying it to a machine - installing stuff and "sending it back" to be there as a deployable image [for use of a better term(s)] Am I right? Cheers Nath
-
Need to update my backup plan a bit after looking at this - although I have already started. Have a Buffalo Terrastation 1TB waiting in a box for the task of night backups. Thinking along the lines of adding the shadow service thingy [brain gone to mush right now] also but can someone point out the overhead and cot of storage before i start using up the unpartitioned space on the new 146Gig HDD hehe Also gonna daily backup [mon-fri] to tape over a 2 week period and probably do a single one during the holiday period [tho the tape drive is making some odd sounds hehe] Regards Nath
-
I'm sure I've asked it b4 - but in both cases above, can you have a different default domain profile based on GP / OU? i.e. I'd want a different one for the pupils to what the staff have for example. Cheers Nath
-
Hi all Thought I'd start this thread, primarily because I want to start using RIS. It may work out easier in the long run than bothering with ghost installs So far, to install RIS on your 2003 server, I've found what looks like a handy starting point: Windows Server - Install Configure Microsoft RIS (Remote Installation Service) Anyone else care to add and tips and tricks, do's and don'ts - it would be handy. My only thought right now is how I can keep the naming convention I have thus far? where: red = room green = computer number DarkBlue = Manufacturer Violet = Model / mini-description Any ideas on the above would be good. Sorry - I havent checked the wiki on this - I'm just a forum guy I guess hehe Cheers Nath
-
Game being released tomorrow. Check thread here: http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=18994#18994 Cheers Nath
-
Please post with details of a upcoming game that you are looking forward to. Please refrain from general posting / replying about a game - either join a thread if it exists or start a new one for the said game. Try to keep the format as follows [i.e. as in my example]: Command & Conquer: The First Decade: Hi all - They've brought the release date forward from March 23rd-ish to... tomorrow [Feb 17th] http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=PC&title=898224 £26.99 currently
-
I stopped using maxtor [where possible - watch out with HP SATA drives - they are maxtor :( ...well - the two that I had were anyhow!] when a whole load of machines HDD's died - has been quite a few years. Had to pay to send them back and got refurbs back. I'm a Hitachi guy now and dont mind the odd WD or a Samsung spinpoint Cheers Nath
