-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
Norphy - I have to agree with your entire post [except for the Opera bit as I've never used it really] IE7 is lovely but like Norphy said, still has some bugs and issues still - but it is beta everyone, lets not forget. People stick to what they like - its a fact - but lets keep the comments about what people should have to a minimum please. Regards Nath
-
lmao I luv the way you lot turn topics into a "I love linux" thread ;) Nath
-
lol tony ...insurance? whats that? Ours dont cover didley lol N.
-
Hi all Been in touch with CSE regarding their Classview CCTV [a possible ideal situation for vandalism and misuse of computer suites in my mind] a few weeks back - after the BETT show. Didnt go myself, but got a leaflet through previous to the show with info about these systems. One of the people from there keeps chasing me up and I keep telling her that I will get back to her at some point [she doesnt seem to realise that I have many other things to do hehe]. Just wondering if its just me or are they known to be pushy? Has anyone had any experience with them? My problem is that although I think it would be a good idea, money-wise, we're a little skint and it'll probably have to wait until some more comes our way ...but she didnt seem to understand that I dont know when that would be, if it even happens or not, etc etc - as the old saying goes... "nothing's garanteed!" [well they would say that if it was spelt right] http://www.cse-net.co.uk Nath.
-
I think I'll go for the Acronis kit... if they dont mind shelling out £280 hehe Its gonna save me literally hours and hours of time - tho if I dont get it 300+ users isnt much to copy / paste and recreate the shares I guess .....hmmmmm.... Wonder if the trial ver will be ok? hehe Nath
-
ah ha...look at this: http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/diskdirector/ Acronis Disk Director Server 10.0
-
I was expecting that there would be some Open source stuff out there, but I'd rather buy a bit o' software and shout at someone if it messes up lol Got hold of Symantec and they informed me that at this time, they dont have a product that can do this on Server 2003 [and that they have had a lot of people ask, but dont know of a time frame when something will be ready]... just so you all know You got a price on the Acronis one indie? Cheers Nath
-
Have you got all the policy templates installed? Open a GPO and Right-click on Administrative Templates on the Computer Configuration section and choose Add/Remove Templates... Yuo should get a window appear with a list of "active" Policy Templates. I have, for example: conf inetres system wmplayer wuau and likely on other GPO's, I'd have a few extra ones in place. Its quite likely that if you cannot see the policy in my previous post, it would be down to this problem that the policy template isnt "active" on this particular GPO. Just click the Add button and choose from the /inf folder and add ones that are missing. They end in .adm if you down know. I'd wager a quick guess at the system one is missing or outdated [if outdated, get the latest from the MS website. The link is elsewhere on the forum should you need it] Regards Nath
-
hmmmmm nope - not tried it but sounds good. I'm gonna give Symantec a quick call first to see if they have a solution to it, otherwise, I might have a look at that (or manually copy and recreate 300+ shares *cries*) Cheers Nath
-
They do still sell it but its the same ver [AFAIK] as I have. Neither Partition Magic or Volume Manager works on it when I tried them Any ideas what I can do? Nath
-
cool - guess it was obvious - but didnt try that. I expect to run into a "This is a system folder that cannot be removed....etc etc...blah blah.." I just did a net send to all saying to Empty your recycle bins etc. Was quite amusing as heard one girl on one of the machines was a bit confused so I sent her one directly asking if she managed to do it or not. She was freaked out lol [in a good way] I then sent her one saying to get back to work hehe ;) She said to me "dont stop sendin them - its fun" lol Naturally, I have stopped. Bit of ammusement for a friday pm i guess [Off-topic - is there a way to send a message to exchange users that are currently logged on? i.e. because i need to restart it etc. Can i shut it down regardless anyhow tho?] Nath.
-
We touched upon this before in this thread: http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=370&highlight=partition+2003 but does anyone know of a program like Volume Manager by Powerquest [now, Symantec] that will do the same job on Server 2003. I used to worship that program back on the NT server but now, I'm really after a program that will achive the same thing on Server 2003. Any ideas asap would be most welcome. Thanks Nath
-
Any more on this? [sorry to revive it] We've been having lack of space on quota's - and indeed - on the partition space left too. The pupil drive has about 150MB left at the moment - thats after a bit of fiddling lol The kids have deleted work but havent emptied their recycle bins Whats the best way to delete all the deleted files from the user recycle bins? Turn on the GPO method of disabling the recycle bins for a bit then turn it off again? Cheers Nath
-
Have you been to http://msexchange.org ? Handy place that is - there might nbe something of use there. I have limited the attachment sizes a bit - to about 50MB I think [ because of those large publisher files >< >< ] There's the journaling system that places every email sent and recieved in a special account - useful if someone misuses the system - but probably wont help you much at the moment. Good luck tho [i have my thinking hat on] but try having a look at the msexchange site and see if you get any luck there [and then let us know ] Cheers Nath
-
i would like to try out wow - i just dont play FF enough to warrant the monthly cost even so I'm not keen on another pay monthly game lol There's just too many pay monthly things isnt there? [not just games] I would like to buy Guild Wars at some point - tho i fear i'd be way behind the pack now [but at least its free each month I guess lol] Cheers Nath
-
Yep - thats the one. Except the route on 2003 GP is: - Open a GPO - select the Administrative Templates of either the Computer or User configuration - choose the View menu and select Filtering... - untick "Only show policy settings that can be fully managed Voila - there it is on the right hand side now I'll see if the policy works and post my little custom adm template for you all to drool over [or not as the case may be hehe] Cheers Nath
-
Heh, didn't occur to me to put that. According to my boss every school in the country is going to have something implemented by 2008 :| Is country meaning England or UK tho? I dont get paid enough to worry about it tho lol so i wont hehe All good fun init? [made this post about 2-3 hrs ago but got called away as per usual hehe] Nath
-
Yep - theres also one here too: http://www.prodesktop.net/ but neither [that i have found yet] has a definitive installation guide for installing ProDESKTOP V8 - with pretty pictures and everything. Surely by now they must have released patches for these problems - installing it and loading it before it'll work on a non-admin. That isnt too bad when you have 50 PC's [pain in the a$$ still tho] but in places where you have 500+ PC's, its gonna take a serious chunk of time if you cant just deploy it using GP etc. Anyone care to make a master guide? Or know how to get any possible fabled patches to fix all these problems. They were suggesting that you have to adjust the slider of the hardware performance thingy on the graphics. Good god - surely its a program that needs that up to the max, not reduced to allow it to work lol Thats crazy stuff. .......*coughs*...... [/rant] Cheers Nath
-
Dont think we are using one [didnt see that option so chosen Other ] Cheers Nath
-
lol the kids in the UK are talking it seems .....or watching this forum :S I've half made a template - but although it loads into the GP Add/Remove templates bit, and I get the items appear, the actual "part"s of the policy dont appear. I think it time for a graphical demo to explain what I'm going on about
-
If only my voice was clearer hehe I'd be up for it Recording-wise - its my sub-forte [much to the music teachers delight *doh!*] If you're stuck for someone, I can give it a whirl. Nath
-
My custom adm didnt work last time [typical] as i was away ill and unable to test it myself - but hold fast... I'll try and give it another go. Someone couldnt log on yesterday and it was because it was ticked hehe So i'm keen to sort it to prevent the minor problem from happening again Cheers Nath
-
PC Inspector File Recovery is usually a good one. The best free one i've tried - and i've tried a fair few hehe Ultimately, its down to luck whether the sectors of the HDD where the file existed have been overwritten or not - if so, then there not many a-proggy that will get it back lol Good luck Nath
-
um.....in the same place Edit one of your GPO's and follow the same route: Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options ...scroll down... Network Access : Do not allow storage of credentials or .Net passports for network authentication Enjoy
