-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
VNcon hasnt been updated in ages - hope the guy finds time to do it soon I've had no luck at all with lanview - was wondering whether to roll out the client msi of lanview via GP and see what happens [any firewall settings that need to be opened here? the lanview server didnt see anything when I tried it before] Cheers Nath
-
Setting up test scenario on Server 2003/Active Directory/GPO
tarquel replied to tosca925's topic in How do you do....it?
Hell...I dunno what TCP/IP actually *IS* hehe ..... Wont be appying for a job at your place Tony hehe you are just *too* evil I dont do that enough to remember the order... Wasn't there some sort of cheesy rhyme for it? Just reading all the above makes me think I'd be pushed to get a job anywhere else lol I'm crap with the technical terms [thats what no training does I'd guess lol]. Cheers N. -
I thought Virtual PC was pretty good - had a 2004 trial as i recall...but I've tried VMWare and I find it much more configurable and generally easier to use. Cant say for Virtual Server 2005 tho, although you could give it a try: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=803ff21d-0c62-453d-8696-7894bb549cbd&displaylang=en Cheers Nath
-
What? start a fire in your server room? ..............*goes to get matches & petrol*......
-
Urgent Help!!! Year 10 folders have been deleted
tarquel replied to StewartKnight's topic in Windows
hehe No thanks I have no need for it and you can tell her that not one of the teachers has asked me why they cant write to the pupils folders. The logical way to do it is on a "pool"-style share mapped to a drive. Have a specific folder that both teachers and pupils can write to. The other way is if they want to do it digitally, send the teacher it via email with a certain dead line. The teacher can save the files from the email and then mark it and return it marked if needs be...converted to a pdf even lol There is plenty of ways for not needing write access to pupils folders - and i think in my earlier posts, I mentioned the possible foul play aspect - that alone is good enough reason i'd say. EDIT: Sorry guys - was too slow in replying yet again Nath -
Sorry dude - I mis-read it I think Not sure i follow you there - changed? not got the requirements? */em scratches head* For BLM? Need to start lvling my BLM really - handy to warp from windy to my hp in sandy for example Its worth it just for that lol Cheers Nath
-
External NIC - whats that? [im having a thick day today lol] Is it like adaptor teaming and is that party of the problem that tosca is having? Nath
-
Sounds very interesting....do explain for me How is it useful? etc etc One day I will join in on the RIS stuff - will that boot disk be useful abj? Nath
-
Assistant Network Managers admin rights.
tarquel replied to tosca925's topic in How do you do....it?
whaaa??? wheres that? That sounds good - will it modify an existing user? I wouldnt mind altering the ICT Co-Ord's rights with that Maybe that will save him logging on as me [administrator] 8O Cheers Nath -
I cant say for nlite - although with that one yu can remove components from the XP source cd, etc..but im not sure how good that is with a RIS source [not having used RIS either yet hehe] - but i do believe that xpcreate does a good job of safely slipstreaming the hotfixes and updates into a nice final ISO I find it best to slipstream the SP manually, although xpcreate can do it too. I use it for floorless installs of XP and its never caused a problem yet, so i cant see it not being any good for a RIS too You can try at least hehe Give me a shout on MSN if ya want a guide Some of my custom apps are handy for this too - Dotnet being one of them as it doesnt recognise the update properly if you use unedited methods...etc.. Cheers Nath
-
Ahhh - i thought it'd be some sort o' crap like that hehe I know Cheers for the info tho Nath
-
LMAO... Thus one of the many things about why the xbox 360 sucks lol [only joking - im sure it doesnt suck but i couldnt help but think it]. xmas pressie eh? I think that you will be hard pressed to fine one to be honest - independant retailers werent getting the first wave of them due to the such limited stock and every online retailer is sold out - or after you order it, it'll inform you its sold out hehe You *may* be able to find the rather stupid "core system" about but I'm afraid that ebay may be your best bet - idiots getting more than one in order to sell them for more is evil itself - considering the vastly limited stock. In all honesty, and like many i've heard say the same thing, you are better off waiting for the PS3 if its for you or someone close to ya. I'm not just saying that honest, I really have been surprised by the ammount of people that have said that. If its for xmas, get them a PSP lol - apparently it rocks and you can use it [somehow] with the PS2 and the upcoming PS3. I havent got one myself tho but I'm assured its good lol Regards Nath [Excuse my bias and although I'm not a complete PS "fanboy" - MS have really screwed up this time on it - for one being that it isnt very futureproof.....*rant over lol*]
-
Never actually tried using the image writer but it doesnt make a pdf of the doc does it? hehe That would be damned useful, but i guess its some other 'orrible thing instead right? Nath
-
*spits* nlite hehe... ive seen sooo many ppl on the msfn forum moan about how something in windows isnt working and its turned out that they've removed the service or something that is a component of whatever their problem was. Then again, thats your general public for ya hehe... I missed out xpcreate [ http://xpcreate.com ] and i can help out a load here with this as its the only one i've used for years - the guy is busy nowadays but the thing works great and can provide ya with a fully up-to-date slipstreamed [and unattended if thats ya poison hehe] CD of XP ...or 2k - although I havent tried the 2k one myself and it isnt so forgiving, but theres a guy on the forum that uses 2k primarily so he'd probably know hehe Just my 2p as per usual
-
Seems like quite the problem for many a' school... I've had in the past the problem of in the computer suites, they take out the mice from the back of the computers and put them in another one - why you may ask? Well, its because the other little sods had removed the balls from the mice and somehow, the pupils found time to swap their mouse for a mouse out of a different computer - what were the teachers doing? I pretty much proved that optical mice would be key - and after a few years hehe - managed to get the ol' 98 suite with optical mice all around. I think in the past few years since the change, i've had to change about 2 or 3. With them cable-tied down also, apart from unplug them, they couldnt take any balls out of them [obviously] and couldnt take them elsewhere, but alas, could still unplug them. When the stupid vandalism was going on with mice going all over the place [and dont get me started on the keyboards and the "defacing" of them] I nagged the ICT Co-ordinator a fair bit and he had a go at the staff - in a attempt to discipline kids if they were tampering with things. Needless to say, it didnt last hehe but there we go - short of cctv in the IT suites, I cant see any other way of stopping it myself. But when I setup the neighbouring room, I've found it to be the best way yet... - Optical Mice [cheap ps2 benq ones are great] + Basic keyboard [the ones that come with the HP DX2000 are perfect - no power management or shortcut keys and are have un-removable - to kids - style keys] - P/S2 extention cables - linking the mice and keyboards to.... - the desktops hidden and locked away in some sort of storage cabinets - i've just used cheap cupboards and knocked the back out hehe Where the mice/keyboard and extension cables meet, cable tie together in a loop fashion so that if the calbes are pulled, the devices wont just unplug from the extention lead, and if that isnt hidden in some trunking [havent sorted out any trunking myself yet hehe] then you could wrap a black binbag or a thick black plastic material around the looped section and cable tie it on so that they cant be tampered with - without considerable effort from the kids [teachers have no excuse to allow that to happen]. So far since last xmas and the summer when we added more pc's, I've had one or two unplugs [as i havent tried my wrapping up the key/mouse meeting the ext cables yet] and just one or two mice locking up [probably they came loose from the ext cable] which was a simple restart to sort out. I'd push for this sort of way and be prepared to do it yourself - it will end up costing less than getting some idiot company to come in and do it, and you'll be able to get good kit and also, have a locked down area where the kids can do little else than misuse the internet hehe *sneaks off for a ciggy* lol Cheers [and I'll post a pic if anyone is interested - please say if ya are... its cheap but it works hehe]
-
This may help your config situation - i find it soooo easy to use and I have the macros available on the PS2 L1 & R1 buttons [hold down and up/down to go up/down the lists of them respectively]. http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=PC&title=114167 Cheap as chips to buy if ya have a PS[2] control pad. I use it for FFXI but it should be handy for any games you want to play. I've used it with Halo [PC] for example - tho i think that sort of game is best with the mouse/keyboard combo BTW Always someone in Crawler's Nest on Laksumi - shame u cant change servers without starting at lvl 1 again :( I'd welcome the company from the UK folk Cheers N.
-
Silly suggestions but what about defragmentation differences causing different access times? Another one is the HDD's are the same make/model/revision correct? could be access times of the hdd that fluctuate, but i wouldnt have thought that it would have made substancial differences anyhow lol Just a few wild thoughts N.
-
Shared Computer Toolkit for WinXP related discussion posts moved to new topic located: http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1061 - Shared Computer Toolkit for WinXP Nath
-
lol hope thats all it was - watch out for the automatic answer lol its handy when gaming on something like BF2 and you want to chat while playing, but could be quite dangerous ....or informative depending how you look at it lmao Cheers N.
-
I know netman lol annoyingly - ahh well, guess i'll have to try it on the desktop. Heard about it the other week, but forgot to post a thread announcing it [nice one geoff ] Cheers N.
-
[identical topics merged - please be careful not to double post or start two topics of the same thing - cheers ]
-
discussion on lancs vpn trial split and moved to 'ere: http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1028 nath
-
You wont regret it, especially if they help make then more stable in the compiliation remake ....no i dont work for EA lol You didnt play anything after Tib Sun???? You are/were/will be [lol] seriously missing out. RA2 (and YR) is sooo much better. Generals adds a new twist to it in 3D [not to everyone's taste tho btw]. I personally prefer YR over Generals but generals is still great if ur paitient with it and get used to it. Cheers N.
