Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tarquel

Members
  • Posts

    1,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tarquel

  1. Yep - CCleaner might be a good one to try Just untick all the options except for missing DLL's - etc and give it a try. Also, a very handy tool is Dial-A-Fix - just google it and give it a blast, you'll see why Andrew - I dont think he was meaning manually edit one. I've never messed up a machine by editing the registry - either manually or not, but to ppl not experienced in doing so, you are quite correct - it is recommended. I think CCleaner does do a backup of the registry first and prompts you to save it somewhere. Something like that anyhow. Norton's WinDoctor has server me well for many a-year also - so this might help with it also. Regards Nath
  2. I'm interested in doing this also. Is there a way of telling the GP not to allow *.exe downloads but only allow *.jpg, *.zip, etc [for example]? ....or is this the realms of proxys only? Roger, I have them turned off for me but not for staff/pupils - tho i think I'm gonna have to play with the settings due to recent events here. Is there reason it still isnt applying is because you have made a custom IE install which has specifically said not to allow saving of downloads [or whatever the setting is]? I've done that before hehe I also do this with the Win98 PC's - but alas, its computer wide with those but its not like i have to use a 98 machine to do my work anymore *big thumbs up* Cheers Nath
  3. Try the good old media player classic - I've got this on a share with no install needed [you can find it bundled with other codecs etc but there is no need really] for OEM DVD drives with no software with them. Our Welsh teacher is using it to play DVD's lovely I believe it can play alot of different avi / movie files also without additional stuff so give it a try [its better than instaling lots of codecs that may have spyware in the package - that stuff is everywhere dont'cha know ] http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358 [and choose the mpc2kxp6487.7z file - for 2k/xp] Extract it to a share the pupils/staff can see and make a shortcut in the usual fashion, and away you go Good luck Nath
  4. like geoff said - its a sticky situation - and one i'm happy i dont have where i am SP2 is much nicer for wireless config than SP1 btw - thanks to the above mentioned Wireless Zero Config. I always prefer it, compared to 'some' controlled by the driver/app's that come with some wifi adaptors/chipsets. Just my 2p Nath
  5. network a mess - sounds familiar I really need a course on DNS - everything else i can work out but DNS just confuses me lol Still - touch wood - i've got it all setup and working so i cant have done too bad of a job Nath.
  6. Our oldest server was a 6+ year old Compaq netware 4 server - dunno any more than that because back then, the County installed it and set it up. It was our sims server - but when .net appeared, slowly but surely i managed to retire it. It is now sitting there lifeless :D Our current oldest server would be our bromcom server now i guess - which is a HP Workstation [lol amusingly named model considering its a server hehe] and tho i dont know the spec offhand, it must be about 3+ years old running Server 2000. My old HP Netserver E60 [bought in 2000] is ready to make a comeback in our oldest server running contest tho lol linux fun - if i ever have the spare time and will-power Cheers Nath
  7. I've managed to get out of this before with... safe mode - who'd have thought it - after slightly balls-ing up the GP one time - a time never to be repeated might i add, but i was learning GP and AD at the time lol This is going back about 1.5 years so i cant say for sure if that will work - but its another thing to try. Regards Nath
  8. Try a few spyware sweeps also - with all the usual tools [spybot - S&D, Ad-aware. CWShredder, MS ASW, etc] as some Incredimail apps arent legit - and as a side-effect, it may be down to that. And it may help things too lol Regards Nath.
  9. Cant say for RIS but with a UA CD/image, you should be able to define custom folders where additional drivers exist. Providing the printer is attached to the laptop during install lol and its a not a awkward install [i.e. requiring the software first atho the other idea you could try is after this bit] then it should install during install of XP. Another way instead of defining a custom dir is to just preinstall the setup of the driver during the setup of windows - be it in batch form manually run at the end or through the many ways of install apps afterwards. If the driver package can be installed silently/automated, this should help. The only prob would be that you'd have a printer installed on laptops where you dont have a printer installed - tho some driver packages wont add a printer until you plug it in - the idea way in your case. Hope that makes sense and i read your post right Regards Nath
  10. As we've mentioned in a previous thread the dangers of allowing write permissions for staff on pupil home dirs [someone care to find it for me], i 3rd the shared folder or email submission idea. Alas, our pupils misused the email system so only 6th form and staff have access to email here [not my decision] so this rules out the option for us, but i have used the shared folder idea with success with IT coursework in the past. The ICT co-ord was fine with it and understood how giving write/modify permissions to staff could be misused. Regards Nath.
  11. I'm using the beta 8 [pm me as i have invites] and a similar problem really. With mine tho, i dont get kicked off - except at work [due to proxy's no doubt] - but it takes ages and kinda sticks when signing in - then all the contacts appear as popup's and I'm on. Not just a prob with the beta tho as MSN 7.5 does the same [in my experience]. Regards Nath.
  12. lol yep - thats the one geoff [found that out already ] Guess I'll be adding it to my custom adm .....when i get around to making it Thanks Nath
  13. Hi all As the title says, just quickly trying to find out where the setting is in the GP where you can enabled/disable this function. Or is it a reg edit / custom adm only? Would just install winzip but i fear that this gives them too many options hehe Cheers Nath
  14. VNC works for me....Its RDC that is giving me a black screen. RDC works quicker for me than VNC in some cases so I really need to get it back working - if anyone has any ideas. Cheers Nath.
  15. Do you mean Remote Desktop Connection? I'm having a few probs with it myself. When I try and connect to a machine through the vpn tunnel, I get a black screen and thats it. I've tried connecting to a few machines in the network but the same thing happens Any idea whats going on? Is there some settings/temp folder on my home machine i should clear that might solve the problem? Cheers [and if you are on about something else, I'll split the topic ] Nath
  16. FSMO ???? 80/20 rule of DHCP ??? I'm gonna be stuffed then while I'm looking for a new job atm... I hope thats true - I think I might be saying alot of "dont knows" ...in interviews near you! - *said with a US army style petition fashion* *sighs* Think I'll go for a mindless telephone operator job instead :( N.
  17. .....or Mid-Wales??? N.
  18. I've heard that its too easy but I havent played it to know whether its true r not. I havent the spare cash for two paid subscriptions a month..... or time lol Cheers Nath
  19. lol but did the red clash with the white and green athstetics? [sure that aint spelt right] N.
  20. Strange but perhaps its something to do with the toner cart maybe... Failing that - or if u dont want tp chuck them lol - you could always adjust the density in the printer settings. I'd imagine there would be a setting for this somewhere on the printer. Good luck. Nath
  21. I was thinking the same thing Tony lol [sorry - slegehammer anyone? ] N.
  22. i am always tarquel - or a slight variation if theres two of me playing [2 ppl at mine online on same game blah blah] Add me to your list ZH - and anyone else. I fancy a bit o gaming when i get back from the pubs tonight - might be late so i hope you will be taking your caffine shots hehe Nath.
  23. sounds good Geoff I think theres some 3com kit you can put together that will do this too - remember seeing stuff when i was looking up a wireless AP. I'd have thought that u'd need to be careful with wireless rules and radiation and stuff when putting up something as "grande" as Geoff's above setup tho 2p Nath.
  24. tarquel

    ups

    ...and I have all servers UPS'ed [hehe] and have the main cur switch on a ups - admin switches will have UPS' on them as they will be POE ones and will have the ....*holds breath*....phone system on them. Hopefully in time, the trend will carry on throughout all the switches - to protect the switches more than anything else lol Nath.
×
×
  • Create New...