Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

daveyboy

Members
  • Posts

    319
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by daveyboy

  1. Generic here - but we are going to change them on a weekly basis - student photos, school photos, competition winners etc, etc. I am looking into using a centralised webpage for everyone's desktop - changable in an instant.
  2. Have you always had slow logins with the agent installed? Have you changed anything recently? Whats the server - Netware / Linux / Windows ? What is the client - 2000 / XP / Vista / SLED / Mac? Gonna need a little more I'm afraid......................
  3. Try this in your login script (probably last) C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters This will refresh the desktop as per http://www.dx21.com/SCRIPTING/RUNDLL32/VIEWITEM.ASP?OID=209&CMD=P-X|ao-AND|WXP-1 Hope this helps!
  4. Been a while since I supported primary schools... but my vote goes to 2Simple software. Easy install, great tech support, and genuinely nice people. Nelson Thornes........**something short and unprintable**
  5. Heres what we do: - Film (DVD, Video, or TV) Linux to rip (TV card), Linux (Samba) to share, Videolan to play on our workstations. Audio(mp3) Linux to rip, Linux (Samba) to share, coolplayer to play on our workstations. Our languages team LOVE having all those old cassettes as mp3's! We are currently looking for some mp3 players for our languages dept (so they can lend them out for revision) and for our library to rent out 'talking books' ('uncool' to carry a book around - but great to listen to an mp3 player)
  6. I notice no-one has replied. Try this from Novell:- http://www.novell.com/documentation/nw6p/index.html?page=/documentation/nw6p/back_enu/data/he3yftpc.html I have just done a quick search on the Novell forums - seems you posted there too.....
  7. Full admin rights here. I get to call in the laptops at anytime and I just re-image them. They are told this when they get them and sign on the dotted line. I have been known to call the same laptop twice a week for three weeks running until the said staff member got the message. 1) Laptops are given on merit - if you cannot show you are making good use of them - you lose them. Constant offenders (like above) are given a month - after which they are taken away and given to someone else. 2) Staff must pay for the damage - one staff member gave hers up after paying for a new screen. (dropped) 3) They cannot 'log on to our network' but use the internet (with Securus) at home and at school. We also have wedav access to files on our network and we also use ePortal - so no problems there. 4) Most have learnt to email us when they try some new software - mainly to stop 'The Wheel of Mis-Fortune' when I call them in. Some have got clever and bring them in after the software trial so I can re-image them without any hassle. 5) Power supplies are always a problem and our staff guard them with their life, as we charge them for any loses - If its not in the bag when it lands on my desk - they get the bill. 'At home' or 'I lent it to so and so' is not acceptable. (The same for mice, patch leads and VGA cables.) 6) My Headmaster & Director of ICT see them as a luxury item that the school pays good money for. They want 'Best Use' from them and have made the rules - I just implement them. 7) Every staff member gets a 2GB pen drive (free) to assist in their work & are used to backup laptops whilst I image them. 8) If they land on my desk and the staff member has NOT backed up their work, and they ask me - THEY MUST donate a prize for one of our student competitions - i.e. £10 Woolworths or HMV voucher, etc, etc OR they lose the lot. Their choice. My Headmaster & Director of ICT are fantastic...........
  8. No quotas here - just 'The Wheel of Mis-Fortune' for those that take the p*ss. That includes staff as well......
  9. A classic phrase 'The printers stopped working' but I wonder if this has happed to you - I got the call - about a photocopier/printer in our staff room, exactly like this one - Panasonic DP-8045. Going into the staff room, with the smell of burning plastc in the air I thought the worst. I was wrong. So wrong. It was worse. The said staff member had filled the the paper tray with the correct size paper................. Just did not take the plastic wrapper off the ream of paper first. Speechless..........
  10. Here's what we do in the summer hols: - Years 7, 8, and 9 - move all the home folders to a spare hard drive & copy to a portable drive. Recreate home folders. Years 10, 11 & Sixth copy to said Spare hard drive & Portable drive, (Spare hard drive goes off site) This is so we have a (extra) complete backup each year off site. Then delete from our servers all the leavers. Student shared gets deleted every night, Staff shared - drives me up the bl**dy wall, I think I'll move it off the servers this year and put back only what is requested - Yep, I'll have to put up with moans!
  11. We have just done ours this morning - went okay but the reports bit did take an age. Looking in task manager it said 'Not Responding' but we left it , and left it, had a cup of tea, left it, left it, another cup of tea........ Then Bingo. Patience Grasshopper...........
  12. @Grommit - South West Grid's time server: - ntp.swgfl.org.uk
  13. 1 Do you have "Always Wait for network blah blah" enabled in your local GPO? From the GPO: - Determines whether Windows XP waits for the network during computer startup and user logon. By default, Windows XP does not wait for the network to be fully initialized at startup and logon. Existing users are logged on using cached credentials, which results in shorter logon times. Group Policy is applied in the background once the network becomes available. If a user with a roaming profile, home directory, or user object logon script logs on to a computer, Windows XP always waits for the network to be initialized before logging the user on.
  14. Which part? - how quick the login dialog box appears from boot or from login to desktop?
  15. Right - here goes...... Music room (PC'S) - The teacher has asked if we can find a 'wireless' device - that plugs into the headphone socket of the PC that will transmit the audio to a reciver which is plugged into a Hi-Fi. i.e. When a child produces a good piece of work you can plug in a (battery powered) 'dongle' type thingy and the whole class can listen via the classroom hifi. Tried just a set of speakers - but not enough 240v plug sockets in the room. They already have a long lead (H&S kicking up). (BTW no 80211a/b/g WAP point) Any ideas?
  16. For us - Headmaster, Director of ICT, Senior Finance Officer and Myself.
  17. Ditto. All confidential info is on a networked folder with which have the security permissions set accordingly. I need three signatures to change these or give others access (Headmaster, Director of ICT and Myself). Backup (along with CMIS) is seperate from the main & encripted - No details there - sorry! Ditto. This and other data is backed up by a tape backup system, tapes are stored in a safe. No password is needed to perform a restore from the tape, but each tape is signed in and out. There is always one complete backup off site - Weekly The server room is also locked and only the team, Director of ICT and the Site Manager (No Problems there ) have acces to it. Oh, and I keep an medieval axe and a chopping board in the office for the fingers of people who try to get in the Server room and touch things they have no idea about.
  18. I think you mean 'upgrading' to Netware................... 8)
  19. Okay. Just wondering how much you want for it - BTW I can collect. Minehead isnt that far away from Bath.
  20. Along time ago someone had a DES6000 spare. Have you still got it?
  21. You could also try posting on their forums...... BackupAssist
  22. Just to say I am using this (with this with the SQL plug-in). I've found this to be really good.
  23. Why dont you force run an app to import a reg key with the correct settings? We do this for all staff - different settings for our students, and it gives us the flexibility to stop internet access (by sending the wrong proxy settings) to a user or a group of users or an entire OU of users. Yep - we can also stop access from singular workstations, groups of workstations or a combination of the two (this requires a bit more work ) regardless of who logs in / or because of who logs in.
  24. Is This of any help?
×
×
  • Create New...