Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

daveyboy

Members
  • Posts

    319
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by daveyboy

  1. Should we convert? If you have, hows it going? Please email me.....you know the drill.
  2. Blimey - Year Of Entry, First 4 of Surname, First 2 of firstname so John Smith is 12SmitJo Had a two students last year with same first, middle & surname (deffo unrelated), normally we have at least 3 sets of twins per year and last year we had triplets..., John, Jack & Jimmy! Active Directory - whats that?
  3. They drilled it - they pay for it - and that is that.
  4. Thurs 3:30pm ish.. Phone call from the grid regarding our router - they cant see it. 3:35pm.... The builders inform me they "think" they have drilled through a couple of cables..... 3:40pm.... Ring SWGfL Fri 9:10am.... SWGfL rep & 2 x BT engineers appear on site. Fri 11:30am.... Done, finished. make the chaps some tea. Thank You!
  5. Try I P S.......
  6. 23 year old son. Very nearly didn't make 10 or 14 or 18 or 20........I still reckon he was the postman's....
  7. Chaps & Ladies.... Time for me to start getting things together for our school. But I would like your comments (Good / Bad) if you have any of these installed at your school (and please include any comments about the support you are given!) Please also include a rough idea of how many devices connect and an idea of uptime without any problems! Thanking you in advance..... Dave
  8. OK, OK, OK you wanna example? Once, I banned '.com' on our proxy server - thinking about those dangerous batch files.................. (It really wasn't me - and if you're reading this YOU know who you are - but I'll take the rap for it ! ....)
  9. Been there, done that. Just remember - everyone else thinks you're a 'wizz' with IT, and never forget those moments when 'It doesn't work' turns out to to be its not plugged in or whatever.... They look to you because you give them hope, and......' its got a plug on it' - so Little Miss will know.......... Chill. If we can, we'll help. Its always something simple. something we've missed, something we didn't know about, something that with a couple of clicks - or lines of code that we can do. If its not, start from the beginning, start simple, start afresh. The weekend is here. relax, wine, movie, pamper, beer - whatever it is. It will come to you - you just gotta relax. If it doesn't, post here, see what the rest of us think. Never forget - we've all been there, all dreaded Monday morning......
  10. Some days you're a pigeon some days you're a statue......
  11. I have no complaints about moving either way - I just think that as we move toward all our software being via a web browser the OS will become less important. What will be paramount is compatibility with all or devices......
  12. Maybe thats just down to your 'inherent brilliantness' ..... I wonder, would it have been the same if you had done the same with XP?
  13. So, remind me - How is moving up to going to up student grades? show more Value Added? Shouldn't we be discussing what Browser we should be using ? you know Fluffy Cloud / Web apps / Martini Teaching / BYOD ? Or even, what your school is doing about moving to everything / everywhere / any device / anytime / IlovemyiPhone / ihateAndroid / canIusemyXbox ?/ whataboutCatchupTV - canIviewLessonsonthat / WhaatDoYaMeenNoSupportItsOnly1am?
  14. Sorry to drag this thread back. But yes - Ive just had that call.....
  15. You can tell how good it is by how much the students hate it......... Support has been excellent.......top stuff.
  16. Thats a better question, one where you have almost answered it yourself. 'a good amount of guidance out there' - the problem with IT is it is always about money & profit / Headteachers & SMT and shiny toys. Has anyone ever thought to get the best from what they have already?
  17. Dook - you know full well that 99% have no idea. Just like Building Maintanence, Finance, etc, etc, oh and everything else outside the subjects they taught. Are you sure that a Headteacher who came through Humanities has 'training, experience, advice / guidance (including legal)' regarding The Science Labs & Prep rooms (storing of chemicals, etc, etc).....? Ask a different question.......
  18. Dook, for once I agree with you. The same discussions.... Staff - "How do I draw a angled line accross a page in MsWord 2010?" I said six years ago: - Hummmmmm. Same s**t different day/year. When is someone going to make Discipline, Honesty, Hard Work & Resect the new 'Buzz Words' or next big 'Innovation in Teaching & Learning'. When are we finally going to see 'Free Range' Children again? Sad. Really sad.
  19. I'm interested for a project I have... I'll PM you.....
  20. Year of intake, first 4 of surname & first 2 of first name - i.e. 12SmitJo (John Smith) If we have two the same or a Jake & James, then we use the middle initial - i.e. 12SmitJt & 12SmitJr
  21. I think we are still using Netware & ZenWorks - I havent looked at my Servers for a long time...... - Deffo can confirm that. - why would I want to move to its baby brother?
  22. For lots of reasons we would like the printers on a Server 2003 box, but we need to allow anonymous printing. i.e completly anonymous ! no accounts, no nothing..... Any ideas?
  23. Anyone got one of these in place I could sneek a look at? Found plenty for Staff, Students, Governors, Guests....but none for oustide software support teams, i.e just supporting a particular piece of software remotely..... Ta muchly.
×
×
  • Create New...