-
Posts
319 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by daveyboy
-
:oops: Yeah - you know what I meant - too many 1664's for my own good........... Now I know why my head hurts this morning
-
Here's what we do 1) Standard Image - i.e all of the software we use on our network is installed and configured. 2) Every staff member has full admin access to "their Laptop" - and they are free to install, configure, etc whatever they wish. 3) A long slow horrible death AUP (Fully supported by the Headmaster) 4)The important bit - we have webdav access for transfering files (and each staff member has a 512k pen drive - supplied by the school) so no excuse there. My only support is to re-image them when there is a problem. They are 100% responsible for any data, software, etc, etc on them. Thay have internet access on our school network - and its upto them to configure anything at home - Balls it up (i.e proxy settings) and they get re-imaged. Their iTunes - their problem. It is harsh - but we simply do not have time to ponce about with each individual laptop and the different home internet settings. Anti-virus updates automagically across the web, and we 'call in' Laptops every so often for re-imaging (because of updates, patches etc). BTW - Works wonders for your mp3 collection!
-
Okay, just some advice please from those that know! What electronic data (by Law) should we be keeping & for how long? What electronic data does your LEA demand that you keep & for how long? Do you have a school policy on this? Thanks
-
Term Time - Shoes, Trousers and a Departmental T-Shirt (ICT Support + School Logo) Out of Term - Trainers, Departmental T-Shirt & Departmental Tracksuit bottoms (School Logo) Both covered with a Fleece - Yep thats a school one too (ICT Support + School Logo)
-
Which Network Management Software to go for...?
daveyboy replied to phantomphan's topic in Network and Classroom Management
We are about to buy LanSchool and heres why: - Its simple to use. Why do we need all the fancy features (that confuse first time users - and take ages to learn) when our networks do most of these things already? BTW - Can we move the school manager / support staff stuff to another thread? -
As my father once said to me about being married: - "You'll always be in the sh*t, its just the depth that varies"
-
Table Tennis here.
-
How to backup Outlook Express email folders and settings
daveyboy replied to alaines_m's topic in How do you do....it?
Google is your friend - 2nd hit: - How to back up and recover Outlook Express data -
I've just started looking at LT Auditor......... Altman Technologies
-
Why cant you complete the reg?
-
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 Download Need to register though.
-
@CyberNerd I cant say just yet. I would like to get the project approved by those above me first. But it has to be SLED - not even OpenSUSE.
-
Christ - posted @5.24 - reply @5.26 Thats quick!
-
Just thought I'd ask as I might have an interesting project ahead of me.
-
Do you allow staff to have Local Admin privileges?
daveyboy replied to Ravening_Wolf's topic in How do you do....it?
Nobody has local admin rights on any network workstation / laptop (we regularly image them - software updates, patches - fixes) But - what we term as 'staff laptops' the staff use as local admin - BUT - if they come to me for repair, upgrade, or even for a 'health check' (or AV is out of date) they are imaged with the latest version. The staff are 100% responsible for the data that is on them. Laptops are for staff to write reports, create resources etc, etc - Not for ebay, personal banking, or for their family / friends to use. -
ZenWorks 8) 8) 8)
-
You dont like Novell, webman - any reason why? (I'm Interested)
-
To Ban Or Not To Ban this is the question
daveyboy replied to NBC_Sys_C-ord's topic in School ICT Policies
We have a slightly different solution. Caught by securus go to HOY - then onwards up the chain. 3 Strike rule etc, etc. Serious cases are given to Pastoral, with ICT related (ie hidden proxy sites etc) to Director of ICT. Now, I do have the power to ban - but not for periods of time. The objective is to get them to come into the office to see us for a 'little chat'. Normally for things like MP3s, excessive pictures in their H/Dirs etc, etc. We then record names etc - 3 strike rule gets them onto the 'ICT Job Board' They have to pick a task, Or they can opt for 'Random Teacher'. Works well for us. -
Here's a Start
-
Oh Dear. I can see that getting out the 'Microsoft Comfy Zone' does not bode well with some.
-
Hummmm................Although not quite the same, but maybe this helps: - Right, we have NW 6.5, Proliant DL380's, Ultrium 960, using BE 9.1. To get the right speed AND to stop SCSI bus timeout's we added a different SCSI card (HP's own - I'll look up the model tomorrow) - It was all down to the correct driver (a seperate download) and an updated nlm. Update to the latest service pack from Symantec - I'll check our version tomorrow too. Hopefully I've still got the links that I'll post here. @Rowan / Mike (I know you read these forums ) Anything to add?
-
New forum - Network and Classroom management
daveyboy replied to Dos_Box's topic in General EduGeek News/Announcements
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr - @£{|*"?^:*$£* and dont forget (^&$(£"":{}@£ Nuff Said. -
Just a suggestion: - Check the date and time on the laptop. I've seen this happen on one of mine where the time & date was way out.
-
Oh, I forgot I'm planning to use mine to show the students simple networks........
