Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

pooley

Members
  • Posts

    1,832
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by pooley

  1. Thanks m8 - Pisys isnt an option, we trailed their e-reg system and it was dreadful.
  2. Thanks guys will follow the bombwich bible and see how I get on
  3. The head teacher went to a presentation this week (setup by lea) to look at a Dinner money system, it would allow Parents to phone/visit web site and add funds to their children's lunch account, but it wouldnt then offer an e-reg option for compiling dinner numbers etc, these would still need to be manually entered. I just wondered what (if anything) you guys and gals my be using ?
  4. My job for monday is to setup an OS x server, we using a mac mini with 2gig ram etc etc. Now i've read a few articles/how to's etc on the www but am a little confused as to what I really need to be dong. The idea behind the mac server is to be able to lock down the imac's we have and aid with home folder and network folder mapping. I want to ink it into AD so we don't have duplicate/multiple logon names. Basically :- Does the server need to be setup as an OD master? If I just link it into AD using the directory tool will I be able to manipulate OU's and users from my AD domain and setup shares and access rights etc ? Any help would be appreciated, am slowly drowning in information at the moment Cheers
  5. i use ffdshow codec pack
  6. VPN ? or use Remote desktop - if your network is managed by the LEA/CC then ask them to open a port to allow you access to Remote desktop.
  7. Its a parody on Hitler getting His Xbox 360 console banned from xbox live - quite amusing
  8. You could use GPO to assign favourites to specific OU's etc too
  9. Ok to cut a long story short - we were trialing a package called Arete which uses Oracle instead of sql. Now the lea in their infinate wisdom have decided to abandon the trial and "advise" us to go over to sims. I have been asked to provide a dump/copy of the oracle database but have no Idea how to do this. I am waiting for the Arete guys to get back to me, but feel for them as they plowed a lot into this trial only to be shat upon froma great hight in the end. So if i can do it on my own then great. Any help appreciated Si
  10. Can the users mailbox be accessed at all? via owa ?
  11. Personally if you get a pay cut/freeze I would ask them for a Detailed breakdown on how they came to the decision, then take it along with a copy of your job description to your union rep(if you have one). I personally would "Stamp my feet" and make life as difficult as possible for all concerned if my pay were cut, but i'm an awkward git anyway. My local council is doing a job/pay review at the moment, sending out forms asking what we do etc etc, i'l be damned if I dont come out as underpaid lol. Good luck m8
  12. Your employer would be Bridgend County Borough Council Resources I.T. Department Schools ICT Support Engineer £12,421 - £16,997 Career Grade (Term Time Only) Ref 01153 The IT Department has an opportunity for an enthusiastic ICT professional committed to ongoing personal development. The IT Department encourages the personal and professional development of its staff through its commitment to the British Computer Society's Career Development Framework. With experience in and knowledge of Local/Wide Area Networks and desktop systems you will possess a recognised IT qualification or have relevant experience. You will provide IT support to a designated cluster of schools ensuring that IT hardware and applications are maintained to the satisfaction of school management. Committed to a high level of customer service you will be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills together with the ability to maintain your composure in pressured situations. As you will be working at times without supervision you will need to be able to use your initiative and judgment to provide effective solutions to problems Initially until 31 March 2009, with the opportunity for extension as part of a developing Schools Managed Service and based within the Schools Team, you will work under the guidance and supervision of the Schools Manager. A full driving license and access to personal transport is essential for this post For an informal discussion please contact Alan Williams, Schools IT Support Manager on 01656 642084 or e-mail [email protected] To request an application pack, please contact 01656 643201 (24 hour recruitment line) or email [email protected]
  13. Got mine from Local CEF (city electrical factors) its a ratchet crimper so you allways crimp with the correct pressure.
  14. As long as people dont bury them in the sand - the mrs works in Burns unit of local hospital - had any number of kids in with nasty burns last year because lazy bast@rds buried hot bbq trays instead of disposing of them properly. Oh and I've gone over to gas - cooked outside every night for the last 3 weeks
  15. Could be the windows audio service not starting - depends on plug n play service- have had this before
  16. Sounds like the smtp virtual server may be in a stopped state ?
  17. Doh how dull do I feel - tried this the other day and it didnt work- wrong permissions set on share. Thanks guys
  18. I have just imported 200+ students and need to set them up with homedirectories. I have a csv file with usernames etc and need a script to create the home folders and set permissions on them, if its possible. I have seen a fe pieces of software I could buy but thought I'd ask here 1st for a free option. Cheers Si
  19. Sorry didnt read the initial post - just hijacked it New posting on its way
  20. yes m8 - got all user details in csv or if there is a way of interrogating AD and using the results from there I would use that too
  21. I wanted a script to actually create the students HOME folder, not really bothered about any sub folders that may need creating. Any suggestions or do I just buy some folder creation software and be done
  22. Anychance of a copy of the script or cmd file ? cheers
  23. I beleive this can be done via GPO - you will need to download and install the outlk11.adm file http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/HA011402401033.aspx for more info
  24. my computer>right click a: and choose tools, check for & fix errors
×
×
  • Create New...