-
Posts
1,832 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by pooley
-
I have 1 XP machine here than when it starts up it doesnt pre-fetch its ip as windows starts to boot. I have to log onto the machine as local admin before it starts looking for IP (dhcp) I have tried setting manual IP but same thing happens, the machine doenst populate with IP until you log in. Have reinstalled ethernet drivers but to no avail. Any suggestions ?
-
"HP ProLiant Servers going cheap" Must be bird flu ? Sorry - but its friday
-
I had a text message off a Head Teacher (primary) Saying :- "When I scroll up and down with my mouse, the monitor squeaks! Any suggestions?" 8O I advised him to "oil his mouse" but im sure the problem will be there Friday when I arrive. This is by far the most unusual problem i've had reported. Anyone ever had a strange error logged for them to repair ?
-
Well... you learn something new every day! I've always wondered how many ways there are to protect yourself from a vampire mmmm Buffy Summers to the rescue me thinks ....... /me goes away thinking happy thoughts
-
Anything on their support site ? http://www.printartist.com/support/default.aspx
-
Use winternals type cd and stop everything thats due to startup. Maybe worth using the latest knoppix compilation and doing a virus scan just in case
-
Would mean cabling between 2 rooms then - for the sake of 5 pc's i'd rather buy the cards. Tried the prefered networks thing - but they still not great. Cisco look nice but at £100+ a card 8O So may just go with some Linksys cards and see how they get on.
-
I have a Linksys Access point with extenal antenna to get a signal to a portacabin/classroom. The classroom has a Linksys Range expander so signal in the portacabin is pretty good. Now my problem is that the pc's in the portacabin are not defaulting to the strongest signal - there is a very very weak signal from another access point in the area and they try that 1st (and fail) Now these pc's have a mix of netgear usb cards and some cheap asus pci cards - all doing a similar thing. I have permission to replace the cards with some Better ones - i need your advice / xperiences before i go ahead and buy some. Cheers Si
-
Why not just \\server\share and put in your uid&pass when prompted ?
-
Check the size of your event logs - I had a server with the same probs and id forgotton to set max size to event log - security had reached over 1 gig.
-
Cheers for the quick replys. Dont really like the idea of giving 7 year olds external emails for obvious reasons. Am running 2k3 server - didnt know about the pop3 built in. Have just installed "office Mail" from http://www.burrotech.com/officemail.php Its free if you just want outlook/express clients need to reg to get the web based email working. only £40. Very quick and simple to setup.
-
One of my primary school would like their year 3's to practice sending emails to each other. I dont really want to go down the route of Exchange - cheap and chearfull would be better. Does anyone know of some software that will enable either internal pop or web mail ? Cheers Si
-
Yeah but I thought id try it anyways
-
Tried to install on an allready built/configured 2k3 box, didnt have much joy though, will try again when i have more time.
-
Cheers guys that sorted it
-
I am trying to setup Folder Redirection for 1 particular room. I have placed all the Computers in an OU and liked a GPO to it. But for some reason the pc's won pick up the gpo??? Running Server 2003 and XP desktop mchines. Doing a gpresult shows the mahoines arepicking up the default domain policy and another 2 I have setup but this 1 wont work. Is it because I am linking a "user configuration" policy to a Computer and not to a "computer configuration" ??
-
That would be usefull. If I used a linux distro and install Shorline as my dmz i would then need another 2k/2k3 server connected to that for exchange ? Sorry for the numpty questions, but the wonders of networking are relativly new to me.
-
What abot the hardware setup ? how would you configure it ?
-
Ok the story goes ..... One of my primary schools wants exchange 2003 installed. They want to use the Diary feature and internal email for staff/children etc. Now the awkward part - my admin and curriculum networks are seperated (by county) - I have asked them if they will open the relevant ports needed for exchange to work across the both networks but they wont. Best they can offer me is port 80 for web based mail, but this doesnt help me with the Diary side. Now another suggestion was a DMZ that both admin and curriculum can access for their email. I have NO idea about DMZ's etc and whats best practice, whats most cost effective option etc. :? So any help is much appreciated. Simon
-
Sorry to ressurect an old thread but ... anychance of an updated msi, after install this asks you to reinstall google earth with the latest version. Ive only access to Wininstall LE at the mo
-
NT wrapper works for running an application as a service - the unregistered version will allow you to run 1 app as a service without needing to reg.
-
To be fair im not looking to alienate myself from county - but surfcontrol is not good enough for what the teachers want. We have enforced safe search etc, and each school in the county can set their own filtering options, also bad words are filtered (so no searching for sex etc) but after a few pages in google/yahoo you get some sites come through anyway. Going to have a little play with censornet. Also going to try and find a way to enforce Strict filtering in google, but on a global scale.
-
Thanks for the info guys. Google strict search is a good option - but going around 100+ pc's and manually setting it up (possibly for every user) isnt really an option. Never played with linux at all. :? but will try and get my hands on a pc tomorrow and install linux - and learn on the fly lol. Cant ask ISP as isp is county borough - admin and Curriculum sides seperate etc. Schools have become a poor cousin. Cheers
-
Our county uses Surf Control to block the naughty web sites etc. Unfortunalty you can still search google(and google images) and see words and thumbnails that are unsuitable. I have a head teacher who is unhappy as while searching "welsh dragons cartoon pictures" in google came across some sites advertising porn/sex etc. The sites were blocked but you could still see the Blurb about the sites i.e."cum here to see naked fcuk pics" etc etc. Anyone use any soft that prevents sites with these words from being displayed ? Or can someone recommend a Child safe search engine ? Thanks
