RobFuller
Members-
Posts
854 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by RobFuller
-
I’ve heard from a reliable source that unattended access is expected to be added to Remote Help for Intune early in the new year. The exact timeline wasn’t confirmed, but if true, this could be a great low-cost option. At the moment, we use Splashtop, mainly because its licensing model is based on per concurrent connection rather than the number of devices, which has worked well for us. However, if Remote Help proves to be effective and cost-efficient, we’ll definitely review our setup.
-
With Intune I was unable to get At Logon scheduled tasks to run consistently, so I now configure all custom applications and scripts under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key.
-
This is a route I would like to take in the next 48 months, I'll keep this company I mind. Was this Framework pricing?
-
I normally script such things and push out as "apps" to the devices / users.
-
Group Policy Printers... speeding up
RobFuller replied to CyBeRkId2002's topic in How do you do....it?
Echo @thimon words, just works. I know it's not the cheapest but worth in IMO. -
Thanks for the info, wish we had spotted that earlier. Anyway after trailing some other platforms we are going to make the switch, hopefully for the better.
-
Really? I had to make a remediation script to get this working now I'm wondering if this was Senso all along...
-
They all love slipping in costs, just had a proposal from Cunninghams to switch on SSO, that will be £659 please .....
-
It took them two weeks to share all the relevant DNS entries with us when I was implementing DMARC. Definitely get this in advance of the system going live.
-
I cannot speak for those boxes directly, but speaking from experience many years ago I was not impressed with Screenbeam and had a lot of the issues you face today. However I have found, now using Airserver boxes that Miracast over Infrastructure when configured is much better than WiFi direct. Just connects faster and more stable from my experience using Airserver. Boxes are hard wired and Miracast stream is sent via the existing connection, the devices signal and connect speed need to be decent however.
-
We use Microsoft Teams voice extensively. My main gripe is that, when answering calls from a call queue using the desktop app, there’s often a noticeable delay—about 5 seconds—before the transfer appears on screen. This doesn’t seem to affect Teams phones, so your experience may vary. Avoid Yealink Teams phones. We had ongoing issues and ended up replacing them with HP Poly CCX 350s, which have been rock solid. For senior staff and power users, we use AudioCodes C455HD—the larger touchscreen is a big plus. We use Salamander to sync parent contacts into our system. When a parent calls, their name, their child(ren)’s name(s), and year group are displayed. If you’re using the Teams desktop app, you can also configure it to open a URL and pass the caller’s number (e.g., for integration with Arbor). We don’t use this feature, but it’s available if needed. You no longer need to assign everyone a separate extension number just to enable outbound calling, which is great for teachers. Common area phones do require a separate license. For rugged locations (like sheds or the swimming pool), we use standard SIP phones. I'm looking to renew our SBC provider this year. Currently with VoiceFlex via Focus Group/Southwest Comms, but I’m interested in hearing about other companies—mainly to see if we can get a better deal.
-
I gave up with the installer, setup on a reference machine and copy the whole folder directory into a deployable location including a shortcut in the same root folder. I use the following install script with Intune but I'm sure it can be adapted. #Install Accessit Robocopy "$PSScriptRoot\Access-It Software" "$env:ProgramFiles\Access-It Software" /np /Copy:dat /MT:8 /e #Create Shortcut Copy-Item -path "$PSScriptRoot\Accessit Library 9.lnk" -Destination "$env:ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Access-It Software\" #Set Permissions $folderPath = “$env:ProgramFiles\Access-It Software” $userGroup = "Users" # Get the current ACL (Access Control List) for the folder $acl = Get-Acl $folderPath # Define the new access rule $accessRule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule($userGroup, "Modify", "ContainerInherit,ObjectInherit", "None", "Allow") # Add the new access rule to the ACL $acl.SetAccessRule($accessRule) # Apply the updated ACL to the folder Set- Acl $folderPath $acl
-
Any AXIS Camera Station experts - load balancing
RobFuller replied to iSteve's topic in Enterprise Software
We encountered a similar issue where the client application would crash under certain conditions. After some investigation, we discovered that disabling hardware decoding resolved the problem. Interestingly, the issue never occurred on the server side, likely because we were connected via RDP. -
They’ve been solid switches overall. One standout feature is the Policy-Based Automation (PBA), which allows for automatic switch port configuration based on MAC address, LLDP, or other variables. This really streamlines deployment and helps reduce misconfigurations. Management is straightforward, and while the GUI isn’t as polished as UniFi, perhaps reflecting a less prosumer focused approach, there’s still plenty of flexibility. Customization beyond the GUI is possible both globally and at the individual switch level. My main wish would be for an aggregated view of all connected devices and their LLDP information, rather than having to check each switch individually. That said, the switches perform well, and if you're integrating with WiFi, having a unified management plane is definitely a plus.
-
Yes we are, 67 in total due to our distributed site layout. There is a 24/48 port multi-gig switch in the works for around Q3/4. Hopefully should get hold of a preview unit soon but it has been delayed a bit apparently.
-
Reseller, Millgate.
-
Just purchased a 5 year licence for our servers, was little over £400. Seems reasonable for a critical service for your servers and support.
-
Trying to keep it basic, Windows 11 base image deployment
RobFuller replied to TheRobins's topic in How do you do....it?
OSDCloud is brilliant, we use this for any rebuilds or recovery of devices that don't have the option built into the BIOS to pull down a new Windows install. Also going to investigate this summer setting up https://www.iventoy.com/en/index.html so I can host this ISO and others to PXE boot from without the need to always use a USB stick as thats less convenient. -
Big fan of PatchMyPC, been using for many years with SCCM but now fully Intune. Load all my third-party apps via there portal also as find it easier and more granular. Support has always been top rate and they don't shy away from digging deep into issues that I would have assumed would have been out of scope so have always been impressed and reassuring to know a wealth of deployment knowledge I there, Mac OS support coming very shortly I see. Might also be worth looking at the Intune Suite as Microsoft have their own managed application library now, license your techs and it enables the module to certainly do some testing...
-
What setup are you using @FN-GM? Have been looking over this recently and pondering if they is a promising idea or not - https://tech.nicolonsky.ch/radius-aad-joined-devices/
-
Its in "preview" but could this work? Manage high volume emails for Microsoft 365
-
Are you using VLAN Pooling?
-
So security the above that Roberto suggested would be best, keeps the systems separated. You can also enable Microsoft Entra login for a Windows VM in Azure. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/entra/identity/devices/howto-vm-sign-in-azure-ad-windows
-
Got some APC SCL500RMI1UC 500VA Smart-UPS C Lithium Ion, Short Depth which fit in most "wall cabs". If you want remote management there is a cloud fee (not a lot) or you can spend more and get local network control version or don't worry. Either way smart little unit.
