Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesfed

Members
  • Posts

    2,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesfed

  1. @DWatson great to see @nickbro was able to help you out in the end
  2. We cut out Ranger when we moved to Windows 7 - as far as management tools go AD/GPOs do just as well
  3. It matters on the AMD APUs as the APU uses system RAM for graphics stuff
  4. Great to see another Oxfordshire tech out on here! I'm James from Fitzharrys in Abingdon (you may know Mike).
  5. Having setup two phone systems so far I've called 999, waited for it to connect (don't hang up before you get to speak to someone) - say that you are testing a newly installed phone system. Both times they have asked for my post code and initials and nothing more has been said.
  6. Might it be possible it is detecting the Server class NIC that VirtualBox uses by default to communicate? If you try one of the older AMD options it may work better - otherwise it sounds like you will be on your way to a rebuild of your VM.
  7. As with many Microsoft products (system centre to name just one) there does always seem to be a delay between the client/server OS release and the release of the tools to manage them. Ultimately early adopters can use the beta editions of many of these services (don't think there is one for UAG as yet) however for most its just a matter of waiting. Some companies like PaperCut are much better at supporting the early adopters and then you have people like RM who say yeaaahh we will do it....some day....
  8. I might be wrong but I thought RM didn't support 64bit yet (I try to keep up to date on CC4 developments but haven't been near a CC$ network in years so wouldn't know for sure!).
  9. We just started up another HyperV VM for our web server (Server 2008 R2), runs SharePoint, Home Access Plus+, various WordPress sites and a few custom built Silverlight/SQL sites we have made in Visual Studio LightSwitch. SharePoint is the real hog but everything else (keeping in mind its PHP and MySQL based) all ticks over with very little resource usage.
  10. You will probably find that the RM disk box is little more than a normal chenbro case and a low powered motherboard running Openfiller/Windows Storage server. We managed to 'acquire' one such diskbox a while back for nothing, first thing we did was buy a new motherboard/processor/ram for it put Server 2008 R2 and System Centre DPM on it and haven't looked back since! Hardware costs to us in the end was just £180.
  11. Oh we always do what we want but in this case its more a matter of massive discounts through the LEA (some people think money is tight for them well for us its 10x worse).
  12. It sure is So a little *bump* anyone?
  13. Using VDI-in-a-Box here which is hosted on a HP DL385 G7 server with a PCI-E SSD. Have done plenty of blog posts about it on my website (will save me typing out everything here!) - VDI | my world of IT Plenty of other users on here have VDI on various other solutions but the biggest thing I always ask myself before running a IT project is why am I doing this?
  14. Custom built 2U rack mount server with 8x1TB HDDs (hope to upgrade to 2TB each HDD pretty soon) with a 8 drive LTO4 drive bay under it. We use System Centre DPM 2012 (which is very very very cheap for schools under Volume Lics) which does 3 times daily backups to HDD and then a one time monthly to Tape.
  15. Well after months of waiting our LEA (Oxfordshire) has said we are going to be switching MIS from Capita SIMS to RM Integris. What I would like to know is what the genuine opinion (I'm an RM basher as much as any other person but in this case I need solid truth to present to others) is of other users of Integris (both from a technical and user stand point). The ultimate question will be do we bring SIMS on sight, let the LEA do whatever they want or look for an alternative.
  16. Great to hear that the SSDs are helping your VDI!
  17. WOW I wish I had the cash to do a full storage server over to SSD - how is everyone finding non HP SSDs inside HP servers any issues with the RAID controllers not liking them? VDI and RDS servers all on SSD for servers but that's it for the time being Both just fly along!
  18. Well today is a little bit more busy for us! Have a message up at the moment inviting people to check back later for confirmation that we will be open tomorrow - looking at the roads at the moment though we probably will.
  19. Quite a old thread back from 2011 - I would image the chappy has already found an alternative.
  20. Well the first snow day for us of the year has come and gone - I thought I would take a look at how our site did hits wise. Can see the interest ramp up a little on Monday and Thursday and then kaboom welcome to Friday! How has everyone else been then (seen all of the issues reported with SWGFL).
  21. No problem at all and glad it helped!
  22. I did a blog post about power usage a while back - How much power does a PC use? | my world of IT (video included). Found our old Pentium 4s were 100W+ while idle! Newer AMD E-350 PCs with SSDs were just 16-20W. Get one of the power meters though - can use it with anything and provides a real view of the impact of power consumption.
  23. Just had a meeting with a Primary we do work for today and they still have 16 notebooks and about 10 desktops on XP - fully in support of binning them all (or replacing) before end of life. Having to do massive thin client roll outs at the secondary I work for though to keep the same number of PCs and keep up with Win 7.
  24. IMO I don't understand why anyone would want one on a phone (of any design) way too small and fiddley to do anything serious - if you want to change a password or do any kind of work then Surface is the way
  25. Just did the latest maths on it AMD A8-5500 APU, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Vertex 4 SSD, FM2 MiniITX motherboard - £236.06 PSU - £32.50 Case (only need the one) - £79 Making £616.12 per 2x mobo in a 2U case with each 2U case supporting 24 users max (very max that is Custom RemoteFX RDS Farm). I've seen very good pricing on WES7 thin clients of late (sometimes as low as £250 with HP/Edu discounts) which support RemoteFX.
×
×
  • Create New...