-
Posts
2,409 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesfed
-
8GB - Yr7 16GB - Yrs 8-9 32GB - Yrs 10+ Media work has kinda taken a big role in the school and I just can't stand students having to work off memory sticks that they might eat/loose - much safer to have their work on the network.
-
Staff have notebooks issued and Windows 7 is pretty good at adapting the display resolution to match the projector. We've been long after replacing the monitors in classrooms with 16:9/16:10 however cost is the biggest issue and considering our 4:3s work fine still we just can't justify it.... Another option is to introduce staff to extended displays (assuming you have dual headed graphics) - great for PowerPoint!
-
Well the story evolves - I did email Pizza Express in the end and a day or so after...... the Reading General Manager calls me up to say sorry, mentions he has noticed the same and will be speaking to staff and would like to offer me a meal on the house The only thing is...will things change
-
Thin Clients and HyperV
jamesfed replied to somerset_tech's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
mhmmmmmm higher speeccc can't wait until March (new budget) so we can get some of the HP t410s out (assuming they work good) with the AMD A10 chips sitting in our servers. -
Thin Clients and HyperV
jamesfed replied to somerset_tech's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Spent £640 per 2 motherboard 2U case (all parts included) - worked it out that I could get that down to about £580 using some of the latest A10 chips. -
Thin Clients and HyperV
jamesfed replied to somerset_tech's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Feels like I only just answered a similar post Either way I opted to do a custom build on our RDS servers running them on bare metal with AMD Fusion APUs (I do need to run a power consumption test on them some day!), SSDs and 8GB of RAM per server. Anywhos I did a complete write up (hardware build/performance on the end clients) on my website here - Series: Custom RemoteFX RDS Farm « my world of IT Reasons for going bare metal - just seemed to make sense, after all they are just essentially powerful desktop PCs anyways so might as well treat them as powerful desktop PCs. -
I got my CX700 from eBay for £35 The guy said on the listing if you know what this is then you know what its worth...obviously no one else knew! Either way you can get the odd lucky listing on the aforementioned online trading site.
-
As TMG has been retired...
jamesfed replied to denon101's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I've been looking at Meraki of late - seen a few too many people on here have to do all kinds of crazy stuff to their Smoothwalls and so far this is looking like my best bet. Web filter/firewall and site to site VPN appliance (with WAN accelerator) all in one with Layer 7 application filtering and traffic shaping! -
Bit of an odd one here - we've got HAP published through UAG 2010 and have recently updated to 8.7 (from one of the older 7.x versions) and when browsing to the page through the UAG portal the HAP login screen just keeps refreshing the page. I haven't turned on SSO yet so I don't think its that, I did see a mention of a problem with cookies causing problems with another web application when published through UAG that caused a constant refresh though (although the fix makes no sense to me). So the big question has anyone else seen anything similar?
-
I've got 18 HD CCTV cameras hanging off 4x7200rpm hard drives in RAID5 recording on motion only and haven't noticed any performance issues. The biggest thing I've seen is in the CPU usage - out of a 3.2ghz AMD Phenom II quad core CPU its using about half the CPU to do the encoding - will probably upgrade to one of the newer AM3+ CPUs later on if ever needed. One word of advice - you may find it hard to justify keeping CCTV footage longer than a few months so you won't need high capacity hard drives but with a high number of cameras you might need faster HDDs (than just 7,200rpm).
-
Windows Server 2008 R2 RDS on Hyper-V
jamesfed replied to localzuk's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I would treat RDS servers just as you would any normal desktop PC and run them on the hardware direct without going through any VMs. Another Edugeek member and I have even built servers out of desktop PC parts to save on costs - Series: Custom RemoteFX RDS Farm « my world of IT -
Going to be missing it here - has been the main method to talk (IM/Video chat) with my other half while she is up in Newcastle at Uni - going to be moving to Skype though so its not all bad.
-
If you have one jump along to your local John Lewis - the one in reading has both types on display.
-
Does anyone have any insights into Meraki web filtering and firewall (been looking at the MX80 for a Primary School)? A quick search of the forum suggests some issues captive web portals on IOS6 but that is handled by our Aerohive APs so I don't see that being an issue. It almost looks too good to be true with their content filtering being from a IWF certified company as well.
-
Maybe its Adobes latest attempt to get people used to using their software with a view that people will try it and want to get the latest version?
-
Well at least its not just me I may have to send them an email (and link to this article if that's ok by everyone) - not that I expect a response but hey!
-
Over the past few months I’ve noticed an increasing trend that while eating out (particularly at Pizza Express in Reading/Oxford but also at other places) that the waiters seem to forget about the customer once the main meal has been served? Particularly on pretty much every occasion I’ve had to go up and ask for the bill as the waiters just seem to go around serving others not noticing my partner and I sitting around with empty plates. Any else noticed the same or is it just me?
-
We've got HP 4120s here (Lync 2010 VoIP) which have the second NIC for a PC and haven't had any issues on desktops and even a printer!
-
But either way there are plenty of people out there (me included) who do tick it and feed Microsoft this data
-
Ever seen the 'Customer experiance improvement program' crop up? Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program
-
I wouldn't agree there (in the sense of not living up to hype). Yes it is a 3 server setup - however... the CA is hosted on one of our DCs (easy to setup), the In out detection is hosted on our internal web server (already setup) and then the DA server.... It works a treat with Windows 7 and from a end user prespective its like they never even left the network.
-
We've got web proxy auto detect setup (through DHCP) - the proxy DNS address is set as an exception in the Direct Access DNS look ups so when the client reaches out to look for the proxy address its looking on the 'real internet' and so the lookup fails. At that point the client just uses the users home internet.
-
Was in today running Windows Update on Servers, also had a job for the HT appear nice and simple hard drive swap due to a small 'drop' (personal PC so no matter of mine!). Was on the way home by 2pm and you know what - it was a good day
-
Its nothing more than the min resolution to do 'Snapping' in modern UI style applications - this allow one application to chew though 1/3 of the screen and another to take up 2/3. Its been a pain of some netbook users but other than that it shouldn't be an issue for most.
-
Taking holiday time next week - the missus and I are off on holiday!
