Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesfed

Members
  • Posts

    2,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesfed

  1. App-V is quite possibly the one single best way that I have found to deploy 99% of applications - at last count we've got 96 different programs (including the full Adobe CS6 suite) deployed through it... VDI-in-a-box was designed to be as intuitive as it comes, just load a virtual appliance point it at a virtual machine that has your base image on it and you are away
  2. The thin clients themselves are pretty powerful (as far as thin clients go) but if you are strapped for cash I would suggest Remote Desktop Services with App-V used to deliver the applications. Recently I put together some very low cost RDS servers using desktop PC parts - Series: Custom RemoteFX RDS Farm « my world of IT You won't need the RemoteFX component as the thin clients won't run it though. For basic use that will get you off the ground....for something better you might want to take a look at Citrix VDI-in-a-box which is pretty easy to get off the ground and easy enough to manage (but will be much more expensive than just RDS).
  3. Are you just getting the EXE from the normal consumer download or have you applied for the distribution licence?
  4. Working fine here?
  5. I started using SkyDrive when it first came out and was web only - I saw the potential but didn't use it for much more than just storing files that I might need to get to. At the same time I was still using a USB memory stick to move data around from college/home which worked better because it was more covenant. Since the SkyDrive PC client came out (that allows offline syncing) I pretty much did a rip and replace over night moving all of my personal docs and a sizeable amount of other work into SkyDrive. I still keep my photos/video on a NAS box at home (way too many to keep on SkyDrive even with the 25GB storage size). The advantage has been pure ease of use - I've got SkyDrive on my Windows Phone, Home Desktop, Surface Tablet PC, Work PC and a Notebook that I use to run a youth group I am a staff member at. At all locations I have a pretty decent broadband speed with Wi-Fi site wide however should the internet die I'm at no loss - the data is synced and saved locally on the PC
  6. Updated your Outlook Autoconfigure settings corrently? (both server and DNS side)
  7. I'm with the RAF VR(T) - don't do much more than run a Air Cadet unit and so not liable to call up let alone receive any training (other than courses that are run within the Air Cadets). All the same my employer has been very supportive with it allowing me to come in wearing uniform on armed forces day and allow a week of unpaid leave while on summer camp. Again having a constructive conversation with your line manager is the first place to start keeping in mind that you can bring in a lot to the job (First Aid, Leadership skills etc) back from your experiences.
  8. Shall have to see what we can do Starting a new job in March so hopefully will be able to get something out to you guys.
  9. Approaching deadline for submissions Need more applicants for the senior tech though!
  10. Cool does it have TPM?
  11. That looks like a VERY nice notebook Going to be something in a future product line?
  12. It is a pretty nifty bit of kit Hope you find out what is causing the issue in the end!
  13. If you press F12 while running IE9 you can run a network capture - this will tell you which files are being blocked as the page loads
  14. Oh we didn't buy them from VeryPC
  15. We've got a few of these in a simlar design (AMD E-350 CPUs) - nice compact PCs that run 100% silent with a SSD inside them. Initialy built by Foxconn though so drivers can be a pain! - - - Updated - - - Oh and on Tiny - its the size of 2 DVD cases stuck together!
  16. In our case we access SIMS remotely via a VPN/Microsoft Direct Access, two factor exists in that the user has to enter their password and that the notebook PC has a domain allocated security cert (which we can revoke as and when required) maybe such a situation where a machine assigned cert will work for you as well?
  17. Softcat here - they regulary beat all of our normal hardware vendors on their software costs.
  18. Ahhh .exe is a good one then
  19. What about the students though?
  20. None here - everything is backed up, given the level of media rich lessons these days we just couldn't do without backing up everything.
  21. Quite true especially considering it goes end of life in 2014 but even then admins should be doing the migrations now and not at end of life date so it would make sense that they would ditch it.
  22. What proxy are you using? I've seen TMG have some issues with the video player on the Citrix website - it gets about 4 seconds in and then cuts out, proxy bypass works though.
  23. It just goes through the Exchange Active Sync protocol - just as a mobile phone does Supporting Windows 8 Mail in your organization - Exchange Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
  24. Im sorry but that's total rubbish - I have my Surface (Windows RT) working with Exchange from Office 365 and a secure (staff member of a particular uniformed youth organization) that has a Office 2010 deployment and both work great!
  25. In all honesty I've been using Win 8 on both my desktop and notebook PC (neither with a touch screen) for quite some time now with no issues - more often than not I press the start button on my PC at work expecting the start screen only to get the piddly little start menu appear. Anyhow a discussion for another thread!
×
×
  • Create New...