-
Posts
2,409 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesfed
-
Laptopsforteachers.co.uk - opinions please!
jamesfed replied to AngryTechnician's topic in General Chat
Used them quite a few times at my last place - a good deal in all cases (although HP trade in cash back is better most of the time). -
Network Manager - Frogmore Community College, Hampshire
jamesfed replied to vaudinc's topic in Educational IT Jobs
Site rules say that you shouldn't comment on the pay of job ads but..............I do have to say it...thats appalling pay! -
Just to quickly share my story here.... At age 16-18 I was doing something very similar to you - doing casual work for my old secondary school in between my college studies. Upon leaving college I managed to get part time work there (8-12 Mon-Fri). After a year of doing that I moved onto full time work at a larger secondary school in a local town - this was by far the life change I have made as I was given immense flexibility to pursue my own projects and make a massive input to/lead IT projects going all the way up to deploying VDI/VoIP and extensive remote working services. 3 years after that I'm now working as a systems administrator in a large college along side a team of 5 others with 3 technicians below me in the food chain. It doesn't stop there though as in a few weeks I will be starting as a Network Manager of a secondary school which will see me planning/implementing a massive refirb of IT. So at the age of 23 (without going to Uni) I can say I have accomplished a lot and are going crazy cool places, now is that due to direct IT knowledge? Possibly however all along the way I have gained through a particular youth organisation a RAF commission which has given me a massive advantage over others in interviews (demonstrating leadership/project management/etc skills). So as others have said, you can have all the knowledge in the world but sometimes its the other 'skills' (that you may or may not pick up in Uni) that actually get you places.
-
If your admins have removed USB access then its for a good reason (usually data protection) - if you are able to get them to work and someone finds out then you could well end up in hot water.
-
[ms office - 2013] 2013 - when will you be making the switch?
jamesfed replied to mrbios's topic in Office Software
Planning to put it in at my new place as part of a new build install Going to need some serious GPO action to rip out the SkyDrive features though... -
Given that RDS is at the core of Citrix (a key Microsoft partner) XenApp I highly doubt it...
-
The policy should cache on the PC anyways. Another thing to look into would be setting up direct access (if your notebooks are being kicked with Windows 7 Enterprise on) - that way the PCs would be able to establish a connection back to your domain so long as they had a internet connection.
-
Very nice site Only one thing- https://www.very-pc.co.uk/products/accessory/monitors/ under Touchscreen you mention Windows 8 Metro - Microsoft have dropped Metro and renamed it Modern UI.
-
Have a go at running sfc /scannow from a admin command prompt - it can fix random errors with system files (which could prevent a successful update to SP1).
-
I belive thats if you have MDOP (with the group policy pack) deployed only...
-
Special thanks goes to @Little-Miss for rallying the troops as well!
-
Cheers! Starting as a network manager at an academy in Oxford next month so hopefully will have plenty of time to get some new content up (well once I've done everything I need to)
-
To all, Thank you for the twitter votes In the end with your help I won the competition with 43 total votes with 30 being the 2nd place and 15 being 3rd. Cheers! James
-
On my home desktop PC I am almost always in 'desktop mode' but that is because that is the style of the applications that I use on my desktop (e.g. Full IE/Office/Games/PhotoShop). However on my Surface (RT) things changes - I never use the desktop version of IE (Modern UI is much more suited), I use the mail app excusively, I play the games in Modern UI, I use OneNote in Modern UI, Skype in Modern UI and so on.... Why? Because its perfect for my Tablet PC
-
Seen the same here Reported it to them at 09:02 after one of our staff mentioned it in a helpdesk call. Seen our LEA let their SSL certs die as well...took 3 weeks to get a new cert during which time I blocked access to the site.
-
I guess it comes with the funkey cables and so on? If so would £125 be fair?
-
@nephilim do you still have the card by chance and if so would you be looking to sell?
-
Deploying Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash and Java by MSI/GPO - Guides
jamesfed replied to jamesfed's topic in Enterprise Software
Looks like I need to update the guides a bit more to include these extra bits -
World domination awaits at the hands of the followers of Little-Miss a big thank you again!
-
Thanks! Looks like I'm ahead at the moment
-
Thanks!
-
Hi all, I'm trying to win a competition to review a particular brand of thin clients and could use some help on the twitter side (retweets count as votes towards winning). Could I ask all Edugeekers who wouldn't mind retweeting putting a reply in for me to PM them the link Thanks! James
-
[website] Star Trek Fans: Klingon Added To Bing Translate
jamesfed replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
LIKE! Oh no wait this is not Facebook....but still LIKE!!!!! -
Having the certification gives you (and mainly your employer) something to fall back on in the event that you try to PAT something and then it explodes… By far go with a battery powered tester though!
