Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

pcstru

Members
  • Posts

    5,998
  • Joined

Everything posted by pcstru

  1. It costs around ~£40,000 to keep someone in prison for a year. With nearly 85,000 prisoners, that's £3.4 Billion a year spent on keeping people locked up. With crime statistics showing a steady decline in violent crime, theft and criminal damage I think we should welcome voters who have first hand, current experience and have a unique perspective to judge whether this state of affairs is a good thing or a waste of taxpayers money.
  2. We are having to do the same : 1) I don't see an issue, refurbished units represent excellent value so why not. 2) Not covered on our volume licence but I'm recommending a clean install using Windows grabbed from Dreamspark and office from 365. 3) Yes, we will not offer support for it as such.
  3. I think there are a few things to consider. A job may state that a degree is an essential requirement, in which case any degree will be better than none. We tend to advertise it as preferred but also look at experience. In terms of sifting CV's and scoring applications, a degree has generally not been a huge differentiator BUT where depth/breadth of experience is missing, it does then help fill that hole. For a NM post - I'd think it would help a little that it is in the right subject area but primarily a degree tells me you can apply yourself to study and you can do so over an extended period, it doesn't really tell me that you know the right stuff. So, that said, I think if you are going to spend money and time on a degree, the first and most important consideration is that it is a subject you enjoy - preferably one you have some passion for.
  4. Regardless of the truth of the statistic (an actual link to the source would be nice), such an increase could be for a number of reasons - better detection/more screening might be especially significant.
  5. When the JD says "network manager". The role does vary from school to school. Here the NM is mainly a technical post, she manages the network and has LM responsibility for our Senior Systems Engineer but has no budget responsibility.
  6. No and I don't really see it happening here, with 2000 pupils many from challenging backgrounds, we pretty much have to have some cash options available.
  7. I would try adding an SSD, run a 64bit OS and possibly go to 4GB RAM. That will make much more difference than the change of processor to an i3 or i5 (the change to an SSD will make the most difference, I doubt you will notice much difference just in the change of processor).
  8. We run our website on wordpress and host internally using Ubuntu Server. It's fairly easy to set up and host on a LAMPS or WAMPS stack and seems to require very little technical/back end maintenance. http://www.rockettheme.com/ might be worth a look for themes.
  9. This same issue vexes me greatly! I love the way the companies sales reps do the "oh, it's very easy for your IT dept to just upload a CSV once a year" (hello Kerboodle, yes I am talking about you). Right, because with 2000 students, there is no turnover, no one starts in the year, no one leaves, no one changes tutor groups. It drives me potty. As a slight aside - this is the kind of content that should have been delivered as scorn and integrated into our VLE's. VL .. say what? Oh - those old failures. I wonder what became of them ...
  10. It's just to the upper left of Wally.
  11. That recreated.
  12. Does anyone use this or any other traffic shaping to help manage their broadband pipe? If so, what allowances do you set for your users?
  13. If you plan to keep your milk in it, yes!
  14. LosOjos : Open the Fridge Door HAL. HAL : I'm sorry LosOjos, I can't do that.
  15. Not really in my experience. I sold a house earlier this year to which we had done quite extensive renovations including turning a barn into a man cave which was fully networked etc. In the end the price had everything to do with a) location, b) size of house and c) the general state of repair. I can honestly say it would have made no difference at all if the barn had not been networked. Also in buying my house, the fact that it does not have hard wired network made no difference, nor would I have added anything for that. It's much like chucking a new coat of paint on before selling - it might help it shift faster (you make it more marketable by widening the number of people you will appeal to) but it doesn't make a real fundamental difference to the price. If you want to add value to a house you really need to make more rooms. Modernising will make some money but that is more about fundamentals - kitchen/bathrooms, quality flooring and fittings and up to date electrics. Networking is not something you will get a return on.
  16. I'm dubious. Things like that can increase the 'marketability' of a house and they might help hold a price but when buying or selling a house, in the process of negotiating the price £1000 tends to be small beer so it would be difficult to isolate something like that from the value.
  17. Technology being linked to improved outcomes was a myth sold by the likes of the e-leaning foundation which promotes 1:1 schemes in England. Of course it was possible to find plenty of schools who did a scheme and could show outcomes improving and the data itself was reasonably robust (outcomes did improve). What they didn't seem to recognise in the analysis was that the schemes themselves involved large amount of cultural change within the schools teaching and learning environment. A lot of effort would go into teacher training and ensuring that teachers knew how to make effective use of the devices in the context of their lessons within the schools - that effort would often be cross curriculum, with good awareness by teachers of what was going on in other lessons. What the data and analysis failed to do was decouple that from the technology. If you put the same effort into the cultural change but introduced 1:1 paper pads and pencils, I'd guess you would see improved outcomes. They have little to do with technology itself and much more to do with 'culture'. That said, computers should play a part in education. We need to teach students about them, how to use them (in every sense from basic end application use to building applications) and we need to make sure they are used indirectly in subjects where they are just another tool (not the primary learning outcome). But we should never expect them to have any effect without good teaching and learning being delivered by teachers. Even the best use of computers in Education to deliver distance learning (EdX, OU) in the end comes down to excellent teachers producing quality content.
  18. That sounds like a lot. Personally I'd go with @dry's suggestion - supply cable (is Cat 6 really necessary?) and terminate yourself. If that adds more than 5% to the bill, I'd run the cables myself! Powerline stuff is pretty good though so putting in extra electrical sockets might be better use of the money (and while you are doing the work - never think you can ask for too many electrical sockets!).
  19. We use VMWare. For us it has a more mature tool set and offers more features than Hyper-V but the downside is licence costs. Support is also very good whereas support for anything MS is ... well, it's just pants.
  20. You would think people with that kind of kit would know how to use their loaf.
  21. Congratulations! Excellent flying and a reminder of that old nugget - "To win, first you have to finish".
  22. Possibly, although it is a little on the small side (12W into 8 ohm (it doesn't say whether that is RMS or peak)). It does depend on a number of factors most importantly how efficient the speakers are. That dictates how power will translate to dB (loudness). The easiest way to be sure would be to trial one.
  23. GAPS, as far as I know it needs to be on a DC - I assume because it needs to intercept the password as cleartext so needs to hook into that event on the DC. GADS can be run from any windows box. I think the biggest issue given a good set-up is just user confusion. If an organisation is running both, it suggests they don't really have good policy on document management (or any policy). That will make your job (backup, access retention on staff leaving etc) more difficult.
  24. Yes and no. You can synchronise a Google Apps for Education domain with AD so that usernames are the same. You can use a utility that synchronises passwords when the users change them in AD. If a user changes their password in GA, that will not sync back. Yes but you could use the device as a guest user and access 365 that way. I don't see any advantage in doing that now that windows devices are more price competitive with chromebooks. No. I believe it is possible to sync google drive with a networked drive. Any browser based application should work.
  25. I can send you ours (pm me if you want it) but there are plenty out there already published by schools.
×
×
  • Create New...