pcstru
Members-
Posts
5,998 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by pcstru
-
Done. Enjoy the trip.
-
Isn't DAS just local storage, so no vMotion or HA?
-
Thanks. I assumed vSAN would be quite expensive to licence. My experience of SAN's is they cost an arm and a leg too so it's how it compares against that. I think it looks like we would need to tie in replacement of some of the hosts too - which might be difficult to do all at once.
-
I use distilled water and a microfibre cloth for screens and staff laptop keyboards. I think if we were doing desktop keyboards on students machines I'd want something with an antibacterial agent or thinking about the state of some of the keyboards, perhaps call in a napalm strike.
-
Remind me again, who are these peers that review the research? Would you expect someone of Professor Tanya Byron's stature to be such an ... authority when it comes to 'peer review' of the possible harm to children of being exposed to certain types of content vs the educational benefits of exposure to that content?
-
You could just stop digging. The huge Irony is that the very process you say worship, which is essentially conducted in and around the institutions of academia, institutions who venerated the person you attacked as a "celebrity psychologist" so much so that two (York and the Open university) awarded her honorary doctorates (in addition to the one she earned herself in part by conducting and publishing original, peer reviewed research) essentially for promoting the public understanding of science and that very scientific method you would have us believe you revere. I'll repeat because it's worth it, argument by authority is not always a fallacy. The point about the court was not that there is only one expert available, but that sometimes you have to make decisions and there simply is no peer reviewed research available. You are not reproducing a controlled experiment, the P values are huge, you need to ask someone so you call an expert. Other than you, a "single person" dismissing a government report based on it's association with someone you seem to think is a rank amateur when it comes to the potential harm to children of various 'categories' of 'content', I don't actually see you arguing any substance. We need to make decisions *now* about filtering. If there is peer reviewed research which they are ignoring, do please bring it to the party. Otherwise, in the absence of a quality of evidence which would satisfy your criteria, who exactly do you suggest we call on?
-
Is anyone running VMWare stacks using VMware's vFlash or vSAN capabilities? I'm quite keen to use vFlash as a quick and relatively cheap way to deploy a few SSD's and get the benefit of a large read cache to take some of that load away from the SAN. Longer term, I want to replace our main SAN and am wondering if vSAN could be part of that solution. Any feedback on either would be appreciated.
-
It is YOUR assertion that this guidance is the work of one woman who you initially dismissed as a "celebrity psychologist" that is nonsensical and childish. YOU then downgraded your ad-hominem to "single person" (your words - not mine) which I rightly poke fun at in my reply. You are entitled to your opinion but so far that opinion seems to be simply dismissing a report based on ad-hominen, rather than actually dealing with any substance. Is this at last some actual substance to your argument? Perhaps you could link to the document you claim to be reading because the first 13 pages of the 2008 Report of the Byron Review (PDF pages numbered 4-16) contains 5 paragraphs that begin with the word "I" out of 116. I may have miscounted being in a bit of a hurry and all, but I'm pretty confident that what you describe as "nearly every paragraph") is actually less than 5%, under 1 in 20. Your claim is so risible that as Pauli once said, it's not even wrong. You are of course as you say, entitled to your opinion even if that seems to arise from such a bad case of confirmation bias that you are blatantly ignoring the actual evidence in front of your eyes. Since you obviously aren't interested in actual evidence, it is probably best if I just leave you to fester with your ill-informed opinion.
-
Anyone would think this highly qualified clinical psychologist with 18 years experience, much of which specialised in looking at harm to young people, wrote the paper or was the only contributor rather than that just being made up as part of your rhetorical ad-hominem dismissal! Yes filtering is a tool but it is not on it's own a solution to those things. My question which you avoided was why you would expect to see copyright infringement, network security or classroom management addressed in a document dealing with categorisation of content and it's filtering where the key issue is risk of harm to students vs the educational benefits of managed exposure? Are you sure you, a "single person", feel qualified to say that? The standard referred to is the list of content categories in appendix A. The document is a guidance document in which the standard is offered as government sanctioned best practice. You don't have to follow it (note the "Action Required" on page 2) where local circumstances necessitate a different approach but you may need to justify why you, a "single person" or your schools management team choose to take a different approach. If a child did come to harm and you have deviated from it, you will need good evidence for that, whereas if you had followed it, the government will need to defend it's position - not you. Worth noting that in any legal action where there would be a claim that an individual was harmed due to negligence (either the governments or yours), a court would be calling the likes of Dr Byron as an expert witness, not school IT technicians. Personally, I think it would be very useful to have one for England. Such standards give us a good base level of documentation, we then only need to document where we differ rather than re-inventing the wheel from scratch. If we had a standard in England, I could give it to my Senior Systems Bod and say "set up the firewall like this". Suppliers could reference the standard - "out of the box, our solution complies with government guidance", it just helps everyone know what they are talking about. When we are asked to open up or block a site, we would have something to reference as to whether the request was good practice or not. Generally filtering is a tool I deploy to provide a service to the school. I'm the tail, not the dog and frankly as a "single person" who's expertise is generally technical IT or (these days) woolly management fluff, I certainly don't feel competent to make a judgement on whether the educational benefits of social networking outweigh the risks. I'm rather surprised many here seem to and are so dismissive of what is a reasonably good distillation of expert opinion and research.
-
That would be Professor Tanya Bryon. You make her sound on a level with Gillian McKeith, but she earned her PHD and worked as a Clinical Psychologist for 18 years. She has also been awarded an honorary Doctorate by the University of York. I'm not terribly keen on argument by authority, but it is not always a fallacy (when the authority is a domain expert). If we were talking about Politicians ignoring expert advice, I doubt many here would be taking rhetorical side swipes at extremely well qualified and experienced experts dismissively labelling them "celebrity psychologist". There would be an outcry of how politicians should not ignore expert advice. Some of the comments here are approaching the level of the politicians. Does it? Perhaps you should give it the benefit of another read - phrases like "provide pupils with the opportunity to learn safe, responsible and considerate online behaviours in the context of supported educational activities". Filtering anyway is not a solution to classroom management, copyright infringement or network security, so why exactly does it need to be addressed in the context of a document taking about filtering standards in schools? Personally, I would welcome it if someone published a similar set of standards for use in schools in England. Yes, there will likely be contradictions in there we would have to grapple with - blocking "sites which are advertising goods and services" but at least it would give us a good foundation on which to build a solution. I can claim some technical expertise but I'm not an expert on what is an effective strategy to keep kids safe online - are you? When those people speak, we really should listen carefully, not drown them out with derision.
-
If you advertise a role and you list "degree" as an essential qualification, then you must reject applications who do not meet that. If you don't then you open yourself up to accusations of unfair discrimination which you won't be able to defend because your recruitment process is flawed. (NB, I'm not saying putting a degree as Essential is sensible or not, just that if you do put it as essential, then you must treat it as ... essential).
-
I'd say it's just not that simple. There does come a point where experience should be able to stand in for a qualification (at the level of a degree) but at the same time the degree shows that a candidate has a certain amount of self drive that experience may not have required/developed. So you might find someone who has good experience but needs a lot of supervision/managing or someone with a degree who can think for themselves but is unable to get on with people or even turn up for work on time. So would I choose someone based on either or, no, I'd be looking at (a lot) more than just qualifications vs experience.
-
[php] Inserting row into MySQL Table - Only inserts one field
pcstru replied to gtg93's topic in Web Development
Yes. Typically, an injection attack would look to close off the legitimate statement and then append another statement which might either expose information or manipulate the database. Hence : http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/exploits_of_a_mom.png Sanitising input is always good to do when using web forms which drive back end CGI scripts. Using prepared statements should also be more efficient on the database because the SQL is compiled once but might be run many times. With a prepared statement, the presence of an injection attack would throw an error. -
[php] Inserting row into MySQL Table - Only inserts one field
pcstru replied to gtg93's topic in Web Development
IMO sanitising user input in a web application *is* the basics. -
[php] Inserting row into MySQL Table - Only inserts one field
pcstru replied to gtg93's topic in Web Development
On a slight tangent, all the code listed and suggested is vulnerable to SQL injection attacks. You should consider using prepared statements and/or sanitising user inputs. -
Why is that ridiculous? Flying gliders didn't help me to fly a quad and I hope the next time I fly commercial the pilot is rated on the exact type of aircraft they are actually flying - not just something vaguely similar!
-
If you want to use a quad for what is essentially commercial purposes (this almost certainly falls under the definition used by the CAA) then you will have to get an operators licence and be covered by appropriate liability insurance. See : here for some more info (also incluides a link to the CAA site Here.)
-
My solution is that laptops are now 'owned' by departments so any damage gets charged to them. That does seem to have substantially reduced but not entirely eliminated damage.
-
How about an online course (others are available).
-
I have a surface pro 2 with the type keyboard and for what I use it for, I love it. I wouldn't go back to a laptop - although I occasionally have to resort to one when I need to connect to our projectors (VGA). On the other hand, I use a desktop most of the time and would find working on either a laptop or the SP2 all of the time to be extremely cramped.
-
If you have the nozzle off, you should be able to feed filament through the extruder a little, cut off any blob that has formed and then you can retract it. You can clear the filament out of the nozzle by burning it off with a blowtorch or Bunsen (in a fume cupboard) - just let the metal glow red and you should be left with no residue but if there is a little soot, just give it a wash off after that and it should be ok (or you will be able to see any dirt/particles which are causing the blockage). Nozzle blockages are reasonably common so it does pay to have a spare or two. [ETA - I can sometimes clear a block by heating the nozzle and then pushing filament through, allowing it to cool a little and then pulling it out. PLA doesn't tend to stick to the metal better than itself, so you don't get left with residue. On the other hand, it's a bit hit and miss as a procedure and finding out you didn't quite clear the block 2 hours into your next print is always tiresome!]
-
What type of filament is it?
-
It does sound like it is getting blocked so you probably only have two options - clean it or replace it. Cleaning it will be a similar procedure to the link difinity posted - you need to heat it, get the nozzle off and clear any blockage and then reassemble. Once you heat it the nozzle should come off reasonably easily. If you heat so the plastic is plyable but not actually runny (temp will depend on the type of filament you are using), you can sometimes pull the dirt out with the plastic - easier to see if you are using a clear plastic. You can also clean up a nozzle when off the hot end (!) by heating it with a blowtorch. The plastic will burn off and any dirt will then usually drop out. Having some spare nozzles is always useful.
