pcstru
Members-
Posts
5,998 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by pcstru
-
I'd write a small macro subroutine. It would use a tab with a column for bands and a column for the colour. The user can fill these in allowing them to define as many graduations and colours as they want. The Macro could be fed ranges of cells which would be scanned and depending on their value be set to a colour as defined by the table. The calls to the sub could written into (say) the workbook recalculate event.
-
Vikings. I've just finished the first series - reasonably good so far.
-
Hi @PrimaryLou, welcome to the forum. There are quite a number of females on here, certainly more than 3!
- 4,290 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- assistance
- background
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
I think ours generally don't like chromebooks - although there are a few teachers who are using them well. Personally I'd rather put in fixed PC's. No issues with battery life. No issues with wireless. No mucking about at the beginning and end of a lesson as they are distributed and checked back into a trolly. I know I'll get better average lifetime out of a fixed PC too - what will the batteries in a surface really be like after a couple of years hard use.
-
A sort of car fan heater which I thought would be a clever wheeze to defrost the car windscreen. It was short lived because it was utterly useless. I also still have an Sigma 50-500 "twitchers" lens which has to be one of my most expensive purchases per use. Shortly after I bought it my sister was selling a Canon 35-350 white lens for a price I couldn't resist, so the 50-500 was only used a couple of times. I really must put some stuff on ebay.
-
So you could add : $A=$ObjTextBox.Text $ObjA = New-Object PSObject -Property @{ FirstColumn = $A } Export-Csv -InputObject $ObjA -Path C:\tmp\test.csv -NoTypeInformation
-
Wrap it up as an object : $A = "Hello"; $ObjA = New-Object PSObject -Property @{ FirstColumn = $A } Export-Csv -InputObject $ObjA -Path C:\tmp\test.csv -NoTypeInformation
-
There are several things on EdX homepage that may be of interest to people here. Might be especially relevant here : Innovation in IT management I'm sorely tempted by this : Creative Problem Solving and Decision Making. I'd quite like to run some workshops here on Blender and 3d stuff so Computer Graphics caught my eye. And Electronics and Interfacing, prompted some recollection (probably wrong) that @LosOjos did this? This stuff does look good on a CV - even if you list something irrelevant to a job, doing EdX courses says things about you that employers like. They are easily 'bagged'. And if you ever want to spend hours watching videos and reading stuff that will almost certainly inform and educate, view the archived Think 101x course - it is just amazing.
-
You possibly need to increase the number of file handles the DOS environment will support. In the good old days that involved setting a line FILES= in config.sys. How you do it these days will depend how you have come by a DOS environment.
-
Hackers get hold of fingerprints for 1.1 million US public servants
pcstru replied to elsiegee40's topic in IT News
That is interesting. Other hacks in the news : Hackers Threaten to Expose 37 Million Cheating Ashley Madison Users. -
[pics] The Fastest Ship In The Universe [600 x 4425]
pcstru replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Not entirely. My MX-5 corners much better than my old Polo did. On an obstacle course, that might open up routes otherwise not available. There might be other characteristics on a smugglers route which could come into play; armour, acceleration, stealth etc, all of which might make the MF unique in it's ability to cut particular corners. -
[pics] The Fastest Ship In The Universe [600 x 4425]
pcstru replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
IMO that misunderstands spacetime. A light year is a measure of spacetime. There is even a clue in the term. Distance without time only exists as an abstact mathematical concept, in reality there is no distance without time. However, there is an explanation that the "Kessel run" is a route which needs to avoid certain areas - the run is not a straight line but requires deviations which necessitates any run will be longer than the straight line distance. The line is not fluffed but indicates that HS took shortcuts that no one else has found. -
I think to access the mailbox you need to either use pop3 or MAPI libraries from within asp (or language of your choice), look for new mail, get it, parse out the info you want and insert that into the table you have created. I've done very similar in python and it was relatively easy. You could probably use a powershell script to access the mailbox and do the same. Running it as a regular scheduled process. Personally, I use humans.
-
Interesting. A good approach to systems design is to start with the outputs. What do you need the thing to do? That is hidden in the the innocent looking phrase "interpreting the data". What does that mean? Exchange itself is managing the mail in databases. If you already have exchange you have a free tool right there. Is being able to interrogate the data using SQL really that important? SQL is just a way to interact with data - if you are not precious about that, you almost certainly widen your options. There might even be tools to do it. You could even drive them from a web server if you are brave or just careful. So, what do you really want to do?
-
I know this (my post) is in violation of the rules of this forum but @elsiegee40, posting these vacancies must take you some time and it is not a once in a while thing, you have been doing it on an almost daily basis for quite some time now. It is a valuable service to the members of this forum and I'd just like to thank you. It is very much appreciated.
-
The key with any UAV is that you are the operator. As the operator, you are responsible for the safe operation of the UAV and you are the responsible party when something goes wrong. If you fly anything long enough, you will realise that eventually something will go wrong. There is a feeling that you get when it happens that is quite unique. Sometimes, like when the cable breaks on a glider while winch launching, it largely is fear for one's own well being. Sometimes, when your robot starts behaving in unexpected ways and veers off at speed towards a group of kids, it is panic for the well-being of others and is usually accompanied by "why the hell did I ever think this was a good idea". Having been struck by small helicopters with a single rotor with folding blades spinning at a few 1000 rpm, I'd say any quad bigger than a husban X4 would likely be quite an unpleasant impact. I guess people think they are "toys" and perhaps don't really consider the damage they could do.
-
It is a good way to communicate certain things. It is generally immediate - so reasonably effective for notifying parents of absences or reminding them of parents evenings. It is reasonably cheap - much more so than a letter. We found phone numbers were more likely to be up to date and more widely used than email. It is quite 'personal' which helps strengthen the relationship between parents and the school. We sometimes combine it with (say) reports which are sent home with the student, to let the parent know it is coming which can stop the report never leaving the students school bag.
-
I posted a couple of links earlier which explain the rules. A safe interpretation is that you need an operators licence for anything other than recreational use and even for recreational use , you need to observe certain operating rules and procedures or you risk prosecution. A school should not allow recreational use of a UAV on sports day (the public liability insurance would not cover it) and if they undertook to capture footage for their own purposes, it would be deemed 'work' and require the operator to have a licence.
-
Just for anyone who might be interested. vFlash seems to require Enterprise Plus licensing, which for our dual processor Enterprise licensed hosts would be ~£700 to upgrade the licence and an increase every year for basic support of £50 per year (I seem to be being quoted a one off cost of £325 per host to upgrade support for the remainder of this year which doesn't seem to make much sense, so the £50pa might turn our to be substantially more). Then there is the cost of suitable SSD. For this I'd look at a PCIe based device, something like the Kingston 480GB HyperX Predator PCIe SSD with Adaptor. So the cheapest for us per host looks to be around £1500. For that VMWare suggests I should be able to double the read performance at the application level of a fairly typical database application where the read IO is 90% or more of the write load. I'd also expect that to have benefits even for guests running on hosts which are not making use of vFlash because the Read load on the SAN should be reduced. Worth it? Only you can decide!
-
Fight Club. Fabulous satire. I now regret that this has been sitting on my "to watch" list for far too long.
-
Looking at those exposes another annoyance. Amazon US vs Amazon UK. Grrrrrr. Care to say who are you using for supply?
-
OK, if you can modify code then below is a bit of code which could form the core of what you need to do. It takes a selection block and then compiles a list of unique items in a sheet called tmp. You need to define your own selection and add a couple more things. When you find a new unique item, you need to grab data from the cells which contain the date. They will be on the same row so you can use the row attribute of the current cell to find that and then reference the appropriate cells for the date and write that to tmp. Lastly, save the tmp sheet as a csv - you should be able to use the record macro to generate the code for that. Sub UnqBlock() Dim sRange, tRange As Range Set sRange = Selection Set tRange = Worksheets("tmp").Range("A1:A10000") Dim iIdx As Integer Dim finished As Boolean ' Determine unique values in a block of data For Each cell In sRange iIdx = 1 finished = False While iIdx < 10000 And Not finished If tRange(iIdx, 1).Value = cell.Value Then finished = True Else If tRange(iIdx, 1).Value = "" Then tRange(iIdx, 1).Value = cell.Value finished = True End If End If iIdx = iIdx + 1 Wend Next End Sub
-
That would certainly do for the drive but the existing interfaces are SAS so I need some kind of PCIE card to host a SATA drive. I tend to have "failure expected" as part of the requirement. I'm sometimes disappointed but that disappointment never keeps me awake at night! I am always a little conflicted when it comes to the costs of our SAN. The complexity itself seems to bring an element of unreliability and interesting (more difficult to predict) ways to fail. On the other hand, every time data is written it is written to two arrays in different buildings, which is some comfort unless it's two copies of rubbish!
-
I'd be resorting to a macro for this. How's your VBA?
-
Ah OK. We have our hosts are spread over two server rooms for resilience. I'm guessing that will not work (veeeery long SAS cables?). I also have gone for dual node SAN's which offer replication and failover in the event of a node failing, which DAS wouldn't offer directly (I'm not sure that vSAN does - it's something to check). Anyone have any recommendations on adding some flash to Dell servers? vFlash offers a read cache (write through) so I was thinking of cheapskating on the eye watering cost of enterprise grade DELL SSD's and sticking a quality PCIE SSD in the hosts for a bit of a cheap(ish) performance upgrade.
