Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

pcstru

Members
  • Posts

    5,998
  • Joined

Everything posted by pcstru

  1. We have 100MB symmetrical but we also have a failover line. Last term was the first time we have saturated the download limit at peak times. I'm looking at throttling users to see if we can stretch a bit more out of it before we need to spend money to upgrade it.
  2. Apropos of Meteorology : timelapse of a microburst.
  3. What I suggest to management here is that we have a payment for people who are "on call". This is paid regardless of whether they are asked to respond or not. We then allow TOIL or overtime for any time they do have to spend. We have never got round to discussing what the "on call" rate should be (I think £100 a week would be a reasonable starting point) but at least it is clear that they have to decide to do something if they want a guarantee of cover.
  4. Sure. I count myself as being in a quite fortunate position. We are well funded and able to buy enough decent kit to provision fail over and/or some hot spares. But things do still go wrong. I think that (you do it, someone else does it, it doesn't get done) pretty much covers it. I think the danger is you end up either stressed or resentful. My personal way of dealing with that is to make sure the issue is well understood at senior levels, i.e. that it is plain that they have made a conscious decision that a failure out of hours may not be dealt with. I don't sweat a little failure now and then because I know that actual instances of failure is helpful to those who make those decisions in assessing the value of provisioning out of hours cover. I don't think that attitude comes easily - it takes practice and needs to be cultivated. You need to be utterly confident that what you are doing is professional and entirely acceptable. I can only assure people here that it is.
  5. Chappie. Robocop meets Wall-E? It's watchable and generally quite well done as a piece of simple entertainment. It doesn't really have much depth in any of the themes it explores (emergence of an AI, policing, innocence and it's loss in growing up) but it doesn't take itself too seriously either. It's like it just throws a few questions at you - "what about this?" and just leaves them with you. Good for a rainy Sunday afternoon.
  6. How does that permanent on call work? What if you are free diving in the north sea or just shooting the breeze with old friends over a glass of the finest malt? I'd expect some payment just to be on call because being on call means I have to be available and ready to rock. I just can't do certain things if I am to be "on call".
  7. I think that it is a natural temptation to feel that problems with the infrastructure and systems are a reflection on our ability to provide robust and reliable services, i.e. that any problems will reflect badly on us. Individually, we need to be confident that what we are providing is the best within the constraints we operate within. Many schools scrimp on funding for IT and that impacts our ability to provide redundancy or up to date, warranted equipment. People in that position are vulnerable to additional stress because people naturally have a sense of ownership over the service they provide. I think the best help for that is to be plain with management about the level of service that is possible given the funding. I don't think that will ever entirely eliminate the stress but it can help. The other thing that will help in the long term is to let things fail. I don't mean by that that anyone should help failure along but when you go home, switch off and if something does go wrong, leave it. If you come in on the Monday and people are screaming - that is a good thing, it will help get the funding that will build more resilience or pay your overtime. And if no one noticed, it will help you to relax off the next time something goes wrong out of hours.
  8. Where possible we do try and fix things soonest. We have no contractual agreement in place for this (I have raised it regularly over the years), it is done as goodwill so sometimes it is not done [*1]. We will pay overtime in some cases but as a school, we prefer TOIL (time off in lieu). On holidays I try to ensure that there is always someone on site, so team leaders should not be authorising leave for their entire teams at the same time. [*1] On at least one occasion, I thought a Sunday night without email would be a positive benefit to staff and I'd rather just chill and watch a film.
  9. I've not met many lawyers who would automatically equate 'legal' with 'moral' (you would probably need to define 'legal' a bit better - is it statute, the judgement of a court or something else), although I think it is absolutely correct that if something is legal then it is by definition 'acceptable'. Quite right. I chose to boycott Tesco around 5 years ago which must have deprived them of a fair chunk of my disposable income since I did most of my food shopping there.
  10. Your contract is and always will be with Tesco. It is frustrating but unfortunately I think in the end a court would say that that was Tesco providing a reasonable route by which you can resolve issues, should you want to. An alternative for you might be to say that it is a known defect that renders the device not fit for purpose and you want your money back. That is easier to do up to 6 months from purchase than after, but it is still possible after.
  11. pcstru

    edX courses

    EdX are once again running Think 101, The Science of Everyday Thinking. It is a 12 week course which takes up only a couple of hours a week. It is extremely well done, the video content is highly polished and all the content is easy to digest (the tests are tricky - not difficult but they do require you to think carefully) - it's a course that I found extremely fun to do where some can become hard work. I can't recommend this highly enough. Do it!
  12. If payments don't rise in line with electricity costs (i.e. if they are not paying the full cost of the electrical consumption of the device), then surely it is not the service described in the article? So from your POV, as energy costs rise, the payback time should just get shorter. If you actually needed '1000W' of low grade heat 24/7, then the payback time would be months, not years (1W continuous draw will bill at about £1 a year).
  13. Pipe (|) to a Select-Object Name which will select only the Account name and then pipe that through to the move command. Or am I missing something?
  14. -197deg C ... very cool.
  15. Sorry, I couldn't quite help raven about it.
  16. The Water Diviner. Post WWI, a father travels to Turkey and Gallipoli to find the bodies of his sons. An interesting insight into the time and place, necessarily narrow in it's focus but all the more revealing for that. Great performances, beautiful cinematography, well paced, just about everything you could ask for in the art of making a film. I'd rate this as must see.
  17. If you are having to borrow for that deposit out of a high interest loan, you really need to think whether it is worth it. Any mortgage application will want details of any loans you have. The loan will cost you more than borrowing on a mortgage and will be detrimental to the amount you can borrow because servicing the loan will impact your outgoings. I guess you mean no way of raising it right now because if you borrow 10K the lender needs to know you have a way to raise that over the term of the loan (so over that time you could certainly raise more by saving). If you don't actually need that right now, then you might be better minimising your borrowing and working on improving your credit rating, that way when you do need the deposit and the only way would be a loan, you might have access to better terms. You will probably find that if your credit rating is causing you problems with a loan, it will also cause you problems with a mortgage.
  18. So that is one card that you are paying off at a pound a week and two more with a couple of hundred each on them? I'm confused. That's not what you seemed to say above, which led me to believe you have three cards. IMO it is pointless (or worse) to borrow for a house deposit. Calculate what you would spend in servicing that portion of a loan and divert that amount into savings. So Natwest turned you down because of bad credit? There are probably still many to choose from. You will end up paying a high rate of interest so you should consider other options (they might want more than you are already paying on the cards in which case what would be the point) if possible. ETA - worth looking to see if you have a local Credit Union.
  19. So what we want is a video where having just shaved past a cyclist, Mr Motorist stops, gets out the car, storms up to the cyclist and the conversation goes something like : Motorist : "I say, I'm terribly sorry, I simply didn't give you enough room, I can hardly begin to say how sorry I am". Cyclist : "Not your fault at all old boy, I think I was wobbling a little there and that must have been terribly irksome for you" Motorist : "Don't be silly, all the result of my own inattention, do let me send you a nice crate of Château La Croix de Marbuzet Saint-Estèphe, the 2011 is simply divine". Cyclist : "Well, I say that is terribly kind but I couldn't possibly inconvenience you any further other than to thank you for a valuable lesson which may one day save my life". ...etc. Probably wouldn't get quite as many hits.
  20. Basically $Students | format-table will output the csv to the console.
  21. Many happy returns and on such an auspicious day!
  22. The Cobra is a nice ship for almost any use but kitting it out for the longest jump range possible is the best part of 2Mcr and you could be spending the better part of 8Mcr for a decent loadout. An Asp is probably the best fit for exploration but it's even more expensive to kit out.
  23. Depends what the colours are and what's important. I've seen nice 9 colour RAG graduations which give a more refined view of the underlying data and are intuitive enough that people just grasp them. But it is easy to be fiddling about with state representation and lose sight of the effort you put into programming yourself that light purple was and then scratching your head when others don't quite get it.
  24. How about a Hauler. With a 2A FS drive you will get ~21ly and you can fit a fuel scoop and Intermediate scanner for £750K. You probably want to upgrade a few other bits but for exploring that should be a reasonable base for a mere million.
  25. Heh, given the forum and thread title, I should have realised. It's my age!
×
×
  • Create New...