pcstru
Members-
Posts
5,998 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by pcstru
-
Fraudulent consent is not consent.
-
As I understand it, it would be entirely irrelevant that the user gave consent fraudulently, when the user is standing before the judge saying "I do not consent".
-
I do not believe there would be any debate about consent since the onus would be on the provider to prove they have consent (not that they once thought they had consent). The fact that someone is complaining is ample evidence that they do not currently consent.
-
Another thing it may do is give teenagers leverage over the service providers in removal of data - perhaps stuff they posted in the heat of the moment that really don't want tarnishing their employment prospects later. Providers cannot argue that they ticked the box because they would be arguing against an established fact - the actual age of the complainant. So changing the age from 13 to 16 effectively gives anyone between those ages additional protections they do not currently have.
-
I think the point is simply to change the age of 'digital consent' from 13 to 16. The point is not to prosecute children but to place an obligation on service providers who handle and process their data. If you think there is no point in it because it is easily circumvented by users, then presumably you think they should just scrub the age 13 constraint and allow anyone of any age to sign up and the providers to then process their data in any way they like? If not, then why 13 and not 8, 11, 14 or 16?
-
Well if the law changes, then surely they have made a difference - the law is different. The furious lobbying by social media companies suggests this will make a difference to them and the way they have to do business. The fact that teenagers could lie to bypass the law does not mean there should not be such a law; all of our laws can be broken.
-
A town in North Carolina has rejected plans for a solar farm because...
pcstru replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
Pedantically, any and all mass warps space time, so these solar panels do in fact bend light towards themselves. -
Provided you ask them to pick it up rather than trade with them, they will just keep picking stuff up.
-
Err, my companion is. Me - not so much. Companions will just keep picking stuff up.
-
A town in North Carolina has rejected plans for a solar farm because...
pcstru replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
There is no special protection offered to Science teachers (or any other Scientific discipline) in relation to believing in 'Woo'. I don't think it relates to being 'bright' or 'dim' either; even extraordinary diligence and ever present doubt will only take you so far. We (humans) are just extraordinarily easy to fool. -
I wondered that when I had to go back and clear out a couple of places for the second time so I've started mixing in some of the other missions. I did invest in the idiot savant perk and then trying to get stupid (drunk) when reporting or anticipating mission success and the award of XP. I think it might be working but I'm not 100% sure!
-
I'd probably agree but I think the problem is, does anyone know what that looks like?
-
It has never been free as far as I know - so if you were giving out copies on a MAK key - you may be in violation of your licence. The licence on the HUP is between the staff and Microsoft so while the licence is only valid while they work at the school, you have no obligation to police it.
-
Sure it wouldn't compete - a glider will always beat it hands down :-)! Cheaper, quieter, you can make it point in the direction where you want, you don't have to share it with 400 other sweaty people for 8 hours and it's carbon footprint is minimal. On the upside, you would have access to a proper toilet...
-
If you just want it to ping, just add it as a host. If you want to monitor services running on guests, you will need to install the appropriate client and configure a service check for the hosts. Typically you need to look at services and commands configuration files.
-
Go strap yourself into a nice little glider.
-
You could be in my village - although a DSLAM box has just gone in, so I'm hoping for improvements ... sooooooon!
-
It's a load of old cobblers unlikely to get feta.
-
So, proud of your mean feet?
-
It is certainly worth thinking about but not what we do at the moment and I suspect it is more effort than restricting logins which itself might be too much effort at the moment). I think if I proposed restricting USB drives, I'd have a huge fight on my hands (and in reality they are as much as or more of a risk).
-
1. It is not possible to force teachers to store documents in the places we make for them, so as well as the desktop, teachers may store confidential documents in local folders that are accessible to all users or the usb drive hanging off the side of the laptop. 2. Physical access to a machine opens up a number of exploits that would require good supervision and knowledge to recognise and prevent. Teachers are unlikely to be diligent enough in supervision (I'd be surprised if some even remove the post-it stuck to the screen with their password written on it). 3. The message, "Students must not use staff laptops" is simpler than "students may logon to staff laptops but only using their own login and must be closely supervised at all times". Forgetful staff will see students using another colleges laptop and will think it is OK without considering how they are doing that (so they will allow them to use their own login to print a document from a USB drive etc. There are other ways to reduce some of the risks, I though stopping logins would be quite neat, simple and cheap (in terms of effort). @LeMarchand probably puts his finger on a huge downside. Also changing local policy as suggested would involve altering each laptop - which sounds like quite a bit of work required in the short term. There has to be a balance between that and security. We provide plenty of means of access for students which teachers can avail themselves of in a classroom with a little thought and planning.
-
Does anyone have a neat, quick solution to stopping students being able to login to staff machines? Despite reminders to staff that they should not be allowing this, they seem quite unable to help themselves so I'm really looking to give them a helping hand.
-
I thought the last bit was too easy - I just hid in the cloisters, used a hunting rifle and molatovs on the mumsy and and an auto pipe gun on the little un's. Later I managed to take out a deathclaw with a 10mm pistol basically by hiding behind a tree. Mind you, over the weekend my house has not been hoovered or dusted, the ironing is still stacking up, no shopping was done and absolutely no jobs were crossed off my list. Even the poor chickens only got a grudging passing 5 mins freshen up during a somewhat rare monitor break.
-
I closed the blinds in my office years ago and nothing can persuade me to re-open them.
-
IT Strategy - Threats and Opportunities
pcstru replied to pcstru's topic in Learning Network Manager
Government policy is pushing schools towards becoming Academies and this is likely to affect us over the 3-5 year period. This may have a direct impact on software licensing and service contracts. Indirectly, strategic goals may be disrupted as resources are directed to delivering the organisational changes of converting to an Academy. (is there a better way to sum that up?)
